St. James Deli

BOP

I drove by there on the way to Carroll's last week. Hadn't been that way in years. Sad.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
They may be starting from scratch. That building was in bad shape
I think this is what happened. Pretty sure this area/south of the base would've heard if he gave up and tore it down for good. Supposedly he'd been stuck in a quarentine-permits purgatory for awhile and just got stuff moving again. Fingers crossed he's on his way to reopening again one day in 2021.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Just came by. New blocks are being laid in place for new walls.
that is some remodeling, must have been pretty bad.
But that happens to old buildings that probably weren't built to code and then they get patched as they grow.
at some point, it's just a cluster.

Homer J

Power Chord
that is some remodeling, must have been pretty bad.
But that happens to old buildings that probably weren't built to code and then they get patched as they grow.
at some point, it's just a cluster.

As old as the building was, they probably ran into asbestos and lead that had to be dealt with.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Was parked out front when Alex Pullium had the store. Brand new truck, younger brother wanted the music on. Turned the key, boom, right into the wall.

Probably a contributing factor to the tear down.

BernieP

Resident PIA
As old as the building was, they probably ran into asbestos and lead that had to be dealt with.
Didn't even think about that. But was thinking "code" what code when the building first went up.
Then you start making modifications and it becomes "quirky". I've seen old homes like that, as well as commercial buildings.
It just happens, and then one day you go to do something - like HVAC and realize you have all sorts of problems to overcome

If they tore it down quick, they probably didn't have a lot of asbestos. Most likely lead based paint though.