St Leonard Creek Oyster Project

Crow Bait

Folks,

As you might know, this year the CCA MD Patuxent River Chapter is broadening our oyster projects to include additional creeks along the Patuxent River. This year, we hope to grow 1 Million oysters at 250 waterfront homes - thanks to a $25,000 grant from Dominion Resources.

Following the success of the DNR project on the Tred Avon River in 2008, we're set to give each participant 4 cages with Spat on Shell. This should be about 1000 spat per cage (depending on the set). Participants maintain the cages for 1 year, with help from CCA volunteers (if needed). After a year, the oysters are collected and placed on permanent sanctuary. Generally the sanctuaries are inside the same creeks where the oysters were grown, where they can be protected from poaching.

In order to make these projects a success, we identify "Creek Captains" to keep things moving. Generally, a good Creek Captain is a communicator who can help get their neighbors excited about the project. For the project - they are the focal point of communication (email) with the participants on their creeks, and they make sure everyone knows how to maintain the cages – and check to make sure it gets done. Our chapter provides assistance throughout the whole process - so nobody is left on their own, and we have a pretty good system developed.

So far, residents of Mill, Hungerford, Hellen, and Mears Creeks have all stepped up to be Creek Captains, and they have helped lots of people sign up. However, we haven’t hit 250 participants yet, so we're still looking for additional Creek Captains for other creeks on the Calvert County side of the Patuxent River, most specifically St. Leonard Creek.

If you live on St. Leonard Creek (or any other creek on the Calvert Side) and are interested in being a Creek Captain, let me know. I do have one other volunteer who lives on the creek that will help with the project, but can’t be the Creek Captain because of his travel schedule, plus lots of other CCA members will help out too.

Thanks,
-S

Also - more info is available @ Fishing Message Boards, Saltwater Fishing Reports, Freshwater Fishing Reports

Last edited:

JoeMac

I built a float to put off of my uncles shore line. He lives on Blake Creek off of the Potomac. I just put oysters in it I pick up while on the creek. Is there any way I can get in on this? Or find out where to get some spat?