St. Mary;s Lake Loop

dave1959

Have not done it yet, Planning to.. Just got a new bike and can't wait to ride something other than three notch trail.

dustin

UAIOE
I havent been there in a couple months, but it's pretty good. If you go clockwise, it is more difficult at the beginning. IIRC it's about 8 miles for the loop.

It is fairly technical. After heavy rains there is some thick mud, but there are narrow bridge spans to ride across, a couple other bridges, a few fast, but short downhills, and a few steep but short hills. plenty of elbow room for 95% of the trail, but still single track for 95%.

remember to bring cash for parking ($3 per car in state I think) honor system.

*edit* the roots are not bad as stated in the trail review link, but im used to lots of roots.

from the link, the large, top photo of the trail is the only part of it that is not singletrack

Last edited:

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
I've biked it a few times and starting clockwise is def the hardest. Lots of steep short hills, roots and mud. It will kick your butt if you haven't rode in a while. After that it's fairly easy going. I hardly see any horses there unlike Cedarville. It is $3 honor system to park and I've seen the park rangers there plenty of times giving warnings. Most people are to cheap to pay though. I got a season pass.

bulldog

It's a little closer to the 7 mile mark. I've never biked it but have walked it with fishing gear.

^^^This^^^ Just a touch over 7.

I have never biked it, but run it with a sport tracking system that has GPS and it's about 7.25 ish.

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
I've biked it a few times and starting clockwise is def the hardest. Lots of steep short hills, roots and mud. It will kick your butt if you haven't rode in a while. After that it's fairly easy going. I hardly see any horses there unlike Cedarville. It is $3 honor system to park and I've seen the park rangers there plenty of times giving warnings. Most people are to cheap to pay though. I got a season pass.

:yeahthat:

It is a good time that is made even better by the lack of patties to dodge. The season pass is definitely the way to go!

mpopetz

As for who maintains it, that's a combination of DNR and the local mtb community (just getting formalized as a non-profit at SMMB | Southern Maryland Mountain Bikers ).

Shoot me an email if you want to hear more about the group or help out, join the contact lists etc.

We're actively building new trails up into the area between Indian Bridge and the lake now.

bohman

I havent been there in a couple months, but it's pretty good. If you go clockwise, it is more difficult at the beginning. IIRC it's about 8 miles for the loop.

It is fairly technical. After heavy rains there is some thick mud, but there are narrow bridge spans to ride across, a couple other bridges, a few fast, but short downhills, and a few steep but short hills. plenty of elbow room for 95% of the trail, but still single track for 95%.

remember to bring cash for parking ($3 per car in state I think) honor system.

*edit* the roots are not bad as stated in the trail review link, but im used to lots of roots.from the link, the large, top photo of the trail is the only part of it that is not singletrack

I don't know if it's any worse than other places, but the roots are a factor if you don't have any suspension. I thoroughly enjoyed the ride, but by the end of the loop I was jealous of those in my group who at least had suspension on the front forks. Lots of punishment for the hands/arms without it.

It won't stop me from doing it again if I ever get some free time.

dustin

UAIOE
I don't know if it's any worse than other places, but the roots are a factor if you don't have any suspension. I thoroughly enjoyed the ride, but by the end of the loop I was jealous of those in my group who at least had suspension on the front forks. Lots of punishment for the hands/arms without it.

It won't stop me from doing it again if I ever get some free time.
dang, not a bike snob, but i thought most folks had front suspension on their mountain bikes nowadays

you get extra points for goin old school!

bohman

dang, not a bike snob, but i thought most folks had front suspension on their mountain bikes nowadays

you get extra points for goin old school!

:lmao: I do have a tendency to do that. Also, I don't have squat for spending money at the moment, so new bike/bike parts are out of the equation right now. So it's ride what I have or don't ride, and I like to ride.

bulldog

Pup and I ran/walked the trail today. It's gotten worse since the last time we were there about 3 months ago. The exposed roots make it almost impossible to run and certainly dangerous to do so. The horses and bikes sure to take a toll on the trail.