St. Mary's Count Public Schools and Sports

ericbase1

I can't fathom how a large district such as St. Mary's can not support sports like most all other districts do. The pay from what I'm told is horrific (for coaches) and the lack of teacher support on the Coaching sidelines is a clear indication of that. Almost ALL other districts have complete staffs for ALL SPORTS made up of teachers who can help mentor the student athletes both on the sidelines and in the classroom.

I am writing this because of the recent resignation of Coach Klenk. Coach Nines before him helped turn a horrific program around which cultivated into a record setting 8-2 record this past season. I was informed that Coach Nines left to move back to PA, and then was also informed he is now making nearly 5 times as much coaching in PA then he did at Leonardtown. From what I've been told too, the problem is a deeper issue that Coach Klenk experienced as well. The simple fact that last season there was NO TEACHERS in the building that were football coaches. When Coach Nines was there he was the ONLY teacher in the building on staff.

How can we do this to our kids? How can anyone coach a team with hopefully over 150 kids on the teams and not be there to be a role model during the school day. If you think that someone not in the teaching field can be a good coach for any sport you are probably right, but ask yourself this....can they be as effective as one who saw them throughout the school day? I do not think that is the case.

The lack of support has lead to a team that is/was on the rise to the status quo once again. With the hiring freeze in effect they won't be able to probably hire the person they want to replace Coach Klenk and it'll be back to the days of not winning any games or just 1-2 a year. That is HORRIBLE! WHEN ARE PEOPLE GOING TO STAND UP AND TELL THE COUNTY COMMISSIONERS, THE SCHOOL BOARD OFFICIALS, AND ANYONE ELSE MAKING DECISIONS that this is UNACCEPTABLE? Sports/Activities help make our young people better citizens. I am worried about our future, I'm worried about how our young people are evolving and the lack of effort that some of them show. SPORTS AND ACTIVITIES can help fix that!

Stand up and become a voice, make after school activities a priority like all other programs within the district. Help make our children be the best they can be, help them learn that they don't always win, that they do have to work hard! Winning and losing is part of life and important for our kids to learn. Not just losing, which is what I believe Leonardtown Football will fall back to.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Winning high school sports programs create interest in the sport. Many small schools have a rich tradition of excellence on the field. The younger generation can't wait to be old enough to compete.

I think the ADs play a big role in that. Coaches should actively seek out players. In the early 70s we had freshmen football teams that played other 9th grade teams. We had over 40 kids on the team. That helps to move experienced players up to the varsity program later. SMC just added freshmen teams a few years ago. Locally having a good recreation program as a feeder program to the high school helps tremendously.

Given today's climate of academics, sports will continue to play a smaller role and garner less funds.