St. Mary's County Fire Truck Accident

glhs837

Power with Control
I do note that there is no mention of it being involved in a response...... do we know that?

Danzig

Engine 32 from the Bay District Volunteer Fire Department was responding to a house fire on Windmill Point Road, in Drayden.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
As I volunteer myself I see to many apparatus drivers (new and old) not operating in the safest manner while responding to an incident. I know the adrenalin starts pumping when the call goes out but these are big rigs that DO NOT handle like a car. We do not have full authority over the roads while responding; we have to stop at stop signs and red lights, not blow through them. We also have to drive at a reasonable/safe speed, not pedal to the metal. I tell all new drivers I train to slow down, you’re not going to save a life if you can’t get there yourself. I believe all emergency responders should have remedial EVOC training.

I don’t know the circumstances of this accident and I’m in no way placing any blame. I am thankful that my fellow FF’s were all OK. Be safe out there…

glhs837

Power with Control
As I volunteer myself I see to many apparatus drivers (new and old) not operating in the safest manner while responding to an incident. I know the adrenalin starts pumping when the call goes out but these are big rigs that DO NOT handle like a car. We do not have full authority over the roads while responding; we have to stop at stop signs and red lights, not blow through them. We also have to drive at a reasonable/safe speed, not pedal to the metal. I tell all new drivers I train to slow down, you’re not going to save a life if you can’t get there yourself. I believe all emergency responders should have remedial EVOC training.

I don’t know the circumstances of this accident and I’m in no way placing any blame. I am thankful that my fellow FF’s were all OK. Be safe out there…

They dont as part of the qualification process?

That seems a bit crazy to me.

I agree, I do think there needs to be remedial training. Like with everything else with First Responders, things are evolving, techniques are refined and if nothing else, it gives Emergency Vehicle Operators a chance to pratice their skills.

itsrequired

I agree, I do think there needs to be remedial training. Like with everything else with First Responders, things are evolving, techniques are refined and if nothing else, it gives Emergency Vehicle Operators a chance to pratice their skills.

Aren't they practicing those skills each time they respond to a fire? I can see sending them to training if a new technique is required, but for cripes sake they are driving. Do we send truck drivers to remedial training each year? Are we now going to require police officers, ambulance drivers, fire truck drivers back to training every year just for the sake of sending them to training? This makes no sense to me. They learn how to drive, they are qualified to drive, unless there is an issue with thier driving why waste the resources in sending them back to training?

glhs837

Power with Control
Aren't they practicing those skills each time they respond to a fire? I can see sending them to training if a new technique is required, but for cripes sake they are driving. Do we send truck drivers to remedial training each year? Are we now going to require police officers, ambulance drivers, fire truck drivers back to training every year just for the sake of sending them to training? This makes no sense to me. They learn how to drive, they are qualified to drive, unless there is an issue with thier driving why waste the resources in sending them back to training?

Ah, because it's easy to get complacent and slack off your diligence to doing it right? I was qualified to load weapons onto aircraft, and fly as a crewman, but even so, I had to undergo annual evaluations to make sure I was up to snuff?

Police officers are required to requal with firearms, correct? Why, they learned how to shoot, and new shooting techniques don't come along every year, right?

itsrequired

Ah, because it's easy to get complacent and slack off your diligence to doing it right? I was qualified to load weapons onto aircraft, and fly as a crewman, but even so, I had to undergo annual evaluations to make sure I was up to snuff?

Police officers are required to requal with firearms, correct? Why, they learned how to shoot, and new shooting techniques don't come along every year, right?

Yes, you are right. They also don't shoot their guns each day. If they did, there wouldn't be much need to requalify. If you are calling on fire truck drivers, why not truck drivers? Drivers of any vehicles for that matter? Why single out first responders?