St. Mary's Indoor Range First of Its Kind

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
Amy Cunning of Hollywood loads up at Flat Broke Shooters new indoor range. (Photo: The County Times)

Amy Cunning of Hollywood loads up at Flat Broke Shooters new indoor range. (Photo: The County Times)

By Guy Leonard, The County Times

After nearly four years of planning, financing, permitting and building, Flat Broke Shooters indoor shooting range in Lexington Park is now fully operational; it's the only indoor shooting range open to the public in St. Mary's.

Cindi and Steve Thomas, shooting instructors who have competed in numerous courses of fire internationally and at home, have built the new facility on their own property on St. James Church Road at a cost of more than $2.5 million.

The new building, opened Aug. 10, resembles a large red barn but inside encompasses a state-of- the-art indoor shooting range with lighted firing lanes and a ventilation system that is computer controlled and keeps the interior at a comfortable 70 degrees year-round.

The Thomas' two dogs, cattle dog Bandit and Rottweiler Bailey, come up to each customer as they enter to greet them and accompany their owners while they staff the range.

The showroom is spacious and welllighted with shooting accessories for sale; though the facility is not a gun shop, the Thomas' can conduct firearms sales as they are a federal firearms licensed (FFL) dealer.

"It's exciting, no doubt," Steve said of their finally being open for business. "All the reviews on- line…everything's been five stars.

"Everybody's been blown away."

Steve said the new range has yearly memberships available but is open to anyone who comes in and wants to shoot—a brief video safety course is mandatory for all visitors their first time at the range, after which a safety card is issued that is good for one year.

Customers can rent time on the range as well as several firearms the Thomas's make available for visitors to try; volunteer range officers watch over shooters and offer advice on how to safely improve their shooting skills.

One of the firearms available for rent is an F4 Defense "Recce" AR-15 rifle locally manufactured in Lexington Park.

"We're not a private club," Steve said. "When we get them on the range, that's when they're [customers] really impressed."

Training classes available at Flat Broke Shooters include instruction for the Maryland state handgun qualification license (HQL), a "Ladies and Lead" class geared towards female shooters, training to qualify for a state-approved concealed carry license and home defense.

Having competed in such organizations as the International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC), United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) and the International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) they've learned from some of the top shooters around the world such as Rob Leatham, Todd Jarrett and Robert "Bob" Vogel.

"We've learned so much from shooting with some of the greatest shooters," Cindi said. "We really have a passion for teaching these principles.

"It's easy to teach them [customers and new shooters] these principals from day No. 1."

Those principles include proper stance, grip, trigger control and sight picture, Steve said.

"We operate on the K.I.S.S. principle," Steve said.

The atmosphere the Thomas' are working towards at Flat Broke Shooters is one of safety, relaxation and fun, Cindi said.

"We wanted it to be a comfortable place for everyone to hang out," Cindi said.

For more info, visit https://www.flatbrokeshootersllc.com/ or call 301-863-4524.

For more local stories from the County Times newspapers, visit https://countytimes.somd.com or find a copy on local news stands.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I bought a family membership for the wife and I. have been there once so far; clean, well lit, good ventilation, sound suppression is excellent, staff is friendly, courteous, traffic flow on folks wanting to shoot is well managed...will definitely make it a monthly date afternoon.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

So, if I understand this correctly? It will cost nearly $500 a year to be a "family" member. Along with getting a Range Safety card which will take about 15 - 20 minutes to go through the range rules / safety orientation with an additional $15 fee, in addition to an "Initiation Fee" of $75. Apparently it appears, since the State of Maryland, (an extreme case of sarcasm here), is lacking in about every firearm safety course imaginable for one to acquire a handgun safety permit, this place is going to charge you more just to go over things you already know, and paid others for the information. Even if you are a combat veteran with many tours killing enemy combatants. Unless, of course, you are of the anointed few, blessed by the State to wear a costume and a shinny badge, in which case the $15 fee is waved, and as well, their $75 initiation fee will be waived.

To me, they are just a couple of folks monetizing the ignorant. Good for them. They have to pay that monthly construction loan nut somehow.

As for me, I'll be practicing on the farm.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Bully for you, not everybody has a farm.
Didn't say it was my farm. It's nice to have friends. Of course, for those that do not have friends with farms, there is always DNR Myrtle Grove WMA firing range in Charles County. Much much much, way much, less expensive. Only $20 a year range permit. Or $5 per use without permit. And as well, without the BS safety orientation and initiation fees.

black dog

Free America
If I may ...

So, if I understand this correctly? It will cost nearly $500 a year to be a "family" member. Along with getting a Range Safety card which will take about 15 - 20 minutes to go through the range rules / safety orientation with an additional $15 fee, in addition to an "Initiation Fee" of $75. Apparently it appears, since the State of Maryland, (an extreme case of sarcasm here), is lacking in about every firearm safety course imaginable for one to acquire a handgun safety permit, this place is going to charge you more just to go over things you already know, and paid others for the information. Even if you are a combat veteran with many tours killing enemy combatants. Unless, of course, you are of the anointed few, blessed by the State to wear a costume and a shinny badge, in which case the $15 fee is waved, and as well, their $75 initiation fee will be waived.

To me, they are just a couple of folks monetizing the ignorant. Good for them. They have to pay that monthly construction loan nut somehow.

What would it cost to buy a 400 acre farm in St Marys or Charles county, and put equipment on it to plant, harvest and store corn and beans with 350 of that 400?

black dog

Free America
If I may ...

Didn't say it was my farm. It's nice to have friends. Of course, for those that do not have friends with farms, there is always DNR Myrtle Grove WMA firing range in Charles County. Much much much, way much, less expensive. Only $20 a year range permit. Or $5 per use without permit. And as well, without the BS safety orientation and initiation fees.

And its outside with endless amounts of weekend dildos shooting the first gun they ever bought.
If one is going to shoot on my farm, you will prove your competent and safe with firearms before you can shoot on my place.
And I hate to say that most Viet Nam era Veterans I have shot with, arn't that ****ing safe to shoot with.
Especially the ones that rant I'm a combat veteran and Im trained, as they sweep six people when there 1911 stovepipes.

Along with those who dont belong to clubs and shoot in organized matches, they want to suck on there friends farm, not in public in front of a crowd.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

And its outside with endless amounts of weekend dildos shooting the first gun they ever bought.
If one is going to shoot on my farm, you will prove your competent and safe with firearms before you can shoot on my place.
And I hate to say that most Viet Nam era Veterans I have shot with, arn't that ****ing safe to shoot with.
Especially the ones that rant I'm a combat veteran and Im trained, as they sweep six people when there 1911 stovepipes.

Along with those who dont belong to clubs and shoot in organized matches, they want to suck on there friends farm, not in public in front of a crowd.
Do we really have to take it to the pits? Of course no land owner is going to let anyone perceived to be less than with their full mental capacity shoot on their farm. I reference only those that want to occasionally punch some holes in paper, sight their rifles, or even "get their gun off" once and a while. Not the ruffians of the shooting crowd.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
There was no extra charge for the range safety card, and I can understand the various insurance expenses needed to have a commercial range being part of the yearly fee..

glhs837

Power with Control
Not cheap to build, last article mentioned 2.5 million. It's clean, modern, and unlike my property, where I can indeed shoot, there are no bugs, it,s not 89-95 degrees with stupid humidity all summer and freezing all winter, and when I shoot there, the dogs in my house dont start barking and annoying my wife. Range safety matters. No matter if you are an idiot or a super genius. And that knowledge doesnt spring to mind, it must be taught. I hadn't been on a range since 1994 maybe. And only four times before that in my life. Understanding what the RSO does, what calls they might make and why, you should know those things. That doesnt change in you are just putting holes in paper or preparing to go ventilate some bad guys. Oh, and there's almost always a cool dog to greet you :)

littlelady

God bless the USA
Not cheap to build, last article mentioned 2.5 million. It's clean, modern, and unlike my property, where I can indeed shoot, there are no bugs, it,s not 89-95 degrees with stupid humidity all summer and freezing all winter, and when I shoot there, the dogs in my house dont start barking and annoying my wife. Range safety matters. No matter if you are an idiot or a super genius. And that knowledge doesnt spring to mind, it must be taught. I hadn't been on a range since 1994 maybe. And only four times before that in my life. Understanding what the RSO does, what calls they might make and why, you should know those things. That doesnt change in you are just putting holes in paper or preparing to go ventilate some bad guys. Oh, and there's almost always a cool dog to greet you :)

You reminded me of something. Back in the day, when we lived in Calvert for 20 years, our neighbors used to target practice. Our abused rescue, Cookie, would poop in the house every time she heard a loud noise. They did us a favor after learning that, and would call us before shooting, so we could let Cookie out first. Best neighbors, ever. Even though we have moved, we stay in touch. Happy shooting, y’all.

nutz

What would it cost to buy a 400 acre farm in St Marys or Charles county, and put equipment on it to plant, harvest and store corn and beans with 350 of that 400?
F corn and beans, THC is the new favored crop. However, having ties to the fed I cant. I’m considering a move to hops, but its a ~100K investment for plants, trellises and extra equipment. How do I get Jim’s wallet open for a loan?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If I may ...

Your screed above shows that you’ve never met the Thomas’...never shot at their previous outdoor range nor taken any of their courses. Carry on.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Kudos to FBS marketing folks. I was reading my hometown paper this morning and in the Outdoor section was a 3/4 page story on FBS.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Your screed above shows that you’ve never met the Thomas’...never shot at their previous outdoor range nor taken any of their courses. Carry on.
That is true. I haven't meet them, nor shot at their outdoor range, nor taken any classes from them. Though I was trained by our government. Had courses lead by individuals highly experienced in principal protection services. At a previous, overseas, sandy outdoor 'range', there were times I had to put so much ball and trace ammo at down range targets that the barrel glowed orange. I'd say, not with bravado, I'm pretty experienced and knowledgeable in the proper, appropriate, and safe, handling of firearms.

I'm sure the Thomas' are nice folks. And, it is their business. Kudos for them taking that leap of faith. But it is my belief, there should be waivers for those other than just the 'anointed few, blessed by the State to wear a costume and a shinny badge', (Which appears done only to stay on their good side. Treating them differently), such as service veterans, and be exempt from that, annual, $15 video fee for the "FBS Range Safety Card", as well as the $50 - $75 initiation fee if its decided to join for a full year. Also, I'm just not too keen on having a "photo taken for their customer profile". When I do, and have done, indoor shooting, I'd rather drive to Maryland Small Arms Range. No memberships. No extra fees. First come, first serve. And (No Time Limit!) - One 25yd Pistol Lane, One Shooter: $25.00.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'd rather drive to Maryland Small Arms Range. No memberships. No extra fees. First come, first serve. And (No Time Limit!) - One 25yd Pistol Lane, One Shooter: $25.00.

That's 1 to 1 1/2 hours each way for me....LOL. No bueno. FBS is 20 minutes away...tops.

I've taken a number of courses over the years but was still impressed with how much I gained from the first course I took at FBS...and every one I've taken since.

I can shoot on my own property but stopped all but waterfowl and, occasionally, deer hunting, because every shooting session resulted in a visit from a deputy. That's just the kind of neighbors we have now. I am a member and manager of a club in 7th district that has skeet, rifle and pistol ranges and I can shoot there any time I want to. And I still jumped at the chance to buy a family membership at FBS. Beautiful and comfy indoor facility and unlimited range time for wife and I for less than 40 bucks a month.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I'd rather drive to Maryland Small Arms Range. No memberships. No extra fees. First come, first serve. And (No Time Limit!) - One 25yd Pistol Lane, One Shooter: $25.00.
MSA has gone downhill.

With the last few years influx of "urban" clientele, sweeping people, shooting sideways and practicing their drive-bys... I'll pass.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

That's 1 to 1 1/2 hours each way for me....LOL. No bueno. FBS is 20 minutes away...tops.

I've taken a number of courses over the years but was still impressed with how much I gained from the first course I took at FBS...and every one I've taken since.

I can shoot on my own property but stopped all but waterfowl and, occasionally, deer hunting, because every shooting session resulted in a visit from a deputy. That's just the kind of neighbors we have now. I am a member and manager of a club in 7th district that has skeet, rifle and pistol ranges and I can shoot there any time I want to. And I still jumped at the chance to buy a family membership at FBS. Beautiful and comfy indoor facility and unlimited range time for wife and I for less than 40 bucks a month.
Are these neighbors newly relocated, from California, the State? It is truly a shame that you have had to alter the use, and enjoyment, of your property because of some weak minded neighbors. I hear shooting all the time in Calvert, (not referencing the 'Special use range for the 'anointed few, blessed by the State', on Exelon's Nuclear property), and don't think anything of it. Unless I hear sirens, (never have yet), I know it's just target practicing.