St. Mary's School Board Budget

alex

Has anyone seen the article about the proposed FY2004 school budget for St. Mary's County? All county agencies are told no more than 2% increase except the school board, they get 6.5% (approx $3. 5 mil). Yet they submitted a budget request for $13 mil more! What are they doing with the money they have now, let alone another $13 mil? One would think with the state being in budget straits they would have the sense to at least stay closer to what they were allotted.

K

Kain99

Originally posted by alex
What are they doing with the money they have now, let alone another $13 mil?

Paying off lawsuits and taking the students to the Mall on field trips. :wink:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
A $13 million increase in operating money? What kind of salary increases did the school system negotiate with the two unions? I can't find a copy of the budget request on the school system's Web site.

I think it's pathetic when the school system claims that the county is "cutting" the school budget, when all the county is doing is limiting the amount of increase.

The system needs to get its priorities in order. Something is wrong when the budget goes up each year, and teachers still spend their own money to buy ncessities from their classrooms. School supplies are the first things to get cut from the budget. That's wrong.

I've written before that the central office administrators' jobs should be eliminiated, and these people should be sent back to the classrooms to fill teaching vacancies. That wouldn't mean much money in the short term (probably $750,000 in the first year). It's just the principle of paying educators high salaries to do little more than sit on their butts.

B

Bruzilla

As a parent, I can tell you that teachers have not been footing the bill for school supplies for quite some time now. That has been relegated to the wallets and pocketbooks of the parents.

Salaries for teachers haven't gone up much; there are no new schools being constructed; and I don't see too many major renovations going on (even though I think that's covered by a seperate funding line.) So... as I've asked for years... where is all the money going?

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by Bruzilla
As a parent, I can tell you that teachers have not been footing the bill for school supplies for quite some time now. That has been relegated to the wallets and pocketbooks of the parents.

A few years ago, the parents at Park Hall ES polled their teachers and found they spent an average of $500 each year on necessity-type supplies. I don't doubt that parents buy these items at other schools. I have the same question you do -- why isn't the tax money that the schools get actually going to the classroom?

Last edited:

alex

I would like to know what supplies they purchase since it seems like you get a 2 foot long list of stuff like, crayons, markers, even tissues that are supposed to come to school with your child.

When I went to school they supplied everything but your notebooks and pens/pencils.

B

Bruzilla

Amen Alex! I had to buy the following for three kids this year: paper, folders, pens, pencils, crayons, colored pencils, protractors, compasses, calculators, binders, scissors, erasers, composition books, assignment books, index cards and box, glue, glue sticks, divider sheets, and some other items I know I'm missing. On top of that I had to pay for three locker rentals, art fees, and science lab fees.

If teachers are paying for anything out of pocket it must be decorations for the classroom because the parents are buying the supplies.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Amen Alex! I had to buy the following for three kids this year: paper, folders, pens, pencils, crayons, colored pencils, protractors, compasses, calculators, binders, scissors, erasers, composition books, assignment books, index cards and box, glue, glue sticks, divider sheets, and some other items I know I'm missing. On top of that I had to pay for three locker rentals, art fees, and science lab fees.

If teachers are paying for anything out of pocket it must be decorations for the classroom because the parents are buying the supplies.

I think you may be right, Bruzilla. The Park Hall survey was done in the early '90s, before schools started sending supply lists home with parents. I once read over the supplies list at Wal-Mart and was dumbfounded at the length and detail. My daughter is still little, so I have a few years to save up. $$$$ You know, when I was a boy, the only things we took to school were pencils and erasers?

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
This is from Sunday's Post Extra:
St. Mary's County school officials want to spend $13.2 million more in fiscal 2004 than the current budget. The additional money in the proposed $117.7 million spending plan would go toward:

• 76 additional full-time teacher and support staff positions, to cover student growth and to maintain a 20 to 1 student-teacher ratio, as well as to serve the needs of an increasing number of special education students.

• Textbook replacement and additions, as well as the adoption of new titles in French and ninth- and 10th-grade literature.

• One full-time computer technician and replacement of outdated equipment.

• Three building service workers, a full-time principal at the alternative learning center and other staff positions.

In the budget presentation to the Board of Education, Chief Financial Officer Dan Carney said the St. Mary's school district will be serving a projected 1,000 additional students in 2004. And some of the newly requested teachers and instructional aides are needed to comply with a state mandate of all-day kindergarten, he said.

An increase of 1,000 students in one year? That doesn't sound right to me.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Well, up here at our high school they just spent the money to put one of those Dance machines in the lunchroom. You know - it's got a pad with foot markers and a screen that tells you where to put your feet when you dance and you get scored on how well you do?

Now, this is a school where the bathrooms look like war zones. The toilet paper and paper towel dispensers are all broke, the stall door locks are broken, the soap dispensers are broken. And this dance thing is what they spent money on?
:duh:

Complaining does no good - they just ignore you.

H

Heretic

At mu highschool they took the doors off the stalls so people wouldnt smoke, later on they took down the stalls. I never took a crap at school again.

B

Bruzilla

Originally posted by vraiblonde
Well, up here at our high school they just spent the money to put one of those Dance machines in the lunchroom. You know - it's got a pad with foot markers and a screen that tells you where to put your feet when you dance and you get scored on how well you do?

Now, this is a school where the bathrooms look like war zones. The toilet paper and paper towel dispensers are all broke, the stall door locks are broken, the soap dispensers are broken. And this dance thing is what they spent money on?
:duh:

Complaining does no good - they just ignore you.

Hmmmm... that sounds like the kind of thing a student would vote for. :biggrin:

As nauseating as it was, I looked back through my homeroom pictures from elementary and junior high school, and my low class number was 27 and the high was 29. What is so magical about the 20:1 ratio? Just for the record, I checked with my parents and their average class size in the 1940s was about 30 also.

You don't suppose that the teachers unions are conspiring to limit class sizes to create more jobs for teachers do you???

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
You don't suppose that the teachers unions are conspiring to limit class sizes to create more jobs for teachers do you???

That's a good theory. I hadn't thought of that possibility.

In my experience, most of the educators who push smaller classes are researchers and administrators. Maryland's teachers union hasn't talked much about class size, because it has been so focused on MSPAP. The state pushed testing hard for a decade, and the union played obstructionist.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Hmmmm... that sounds like the kind of thing a student would vote for.
As a matter of fact, Bru, it WAS a few students who voted for it. The student council, to be exact. They had a choice between refurbishing some of the school facilities, getting a dance machine or getting a fancy ice cream machine. The students, because they are so wise and all-knowing, decided to get a dance machine, rationalizing that they could charge 50 cents to use it, thereby making the money back and then some.

What they didn't consider is that, A, very few students enjoy it enough to use their lunch period playing it, and B, at 50 cents a whack, it's going to take a looooooong time for them to even pay for the machine, let alone make a profit.

The president of the student council is, you guessed it, very into the Dance machine thing - apparently he's on a county-wide team. That explains why he pressed for it and got the other council members to go along.