st marys sheriffs

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Can't do that.

They encrypted their system.
Good. It keeps pain in the ass civilians away and they can't get on Facebook or Nextdoor with breathlessly hysterical updates.

We had a couple or seven people here that used to monitor the scanner and go to wherever the incident was. One time a couple even drove up onto the pier to see what was happening at the end of it.

When I had my first heart attack quite a few of the ambulance/firefighters showed up (I know most of them) but a couple dozen residents did too.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB

glhs837

Power with Control
Good. It keeps pain in the ass civilians away and they can't get on Facebook or Nextdoor with breathlessly hysterical updates.

We had a couple or seven people here that used to monitor the scanner and go to wherever the incident was. One time a couple even drove up onto the pier to see what was happening at the end of it.

When I had my first heart attack quite a few of the ambulance/firefighters showed up (I know most of them) but a couple dozen residents did too.

It also means the only source of information we have about what's going on is the Sheriff. Who has shown no great desire to keep citizens informed.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
It also means the only source of information we have about what's going on is the Sheriff. Who has shown no great desire to keep citizens informed.
Informed of what? Seriously. Do you really think the Sheriff, or any agency, is going to give a blow by blow during an active incident like yesterday?
With the way rumors go around anyway, and the inability of many people to understand clear English, I understand why they don't people listening in on scanners, which the bad guys can also do.

glhs837

Power with Control
Informed of what? Seriously. Do you really think the Sheriff, or any agency, is going to give a blow by blow during an active incident like yesterday?
With the way rumors go around anyway, and the inability of many people to understand clear English, I understand why they don't people listening in on scanners, which the bad guys can also do.
A simple update or two, like the alerts we get when there is a disabled vehicle on the bridge. NIXLE alerts used to be used for a while, but I don't think they are so much anymore.

"The bad guys are listening" was the excuse used to justify going encrypted. But of course, they never provided any evidence of that actually happening. Like the save the kids from speeders thing, its a red herring to justify what they want to do anyway.

somdwatch

A simple update or two, like the alerts we get when there is a disabled vehicle on the bridge. NIXLE alerts used to be used for a while, but I don't think they are so much anymore.

"The bad guys are listening" was the excuse used to justify going encrypted. But of course, they never provided any evidence of that actually happening. Like the save the kids from speeders thing, its a red herring to justify what they want to do anyway.
Years ago in Jacksonville, the cops would have me call their pagers not 911 for the druggies in the hood. They new then they were listening on scanners. This was prior to 93!

DaSDGuy

Not true. Drug dealers in St. Mary's were busted with scanners in their possession along with large quantities of drugs. They got busted because fake radio transmissions made them think they were safe. Attorneys stopped those so they went encrypted. No, I am not going to give more specifics just so you can twist the words. Do your own homework and stop make baseless statements.

glhs837

Power with Control
Not true. Drug dealers in St. Mary's were busted with scanners in their possession along with large quantities of drugs. They got busted because fake radio transmissions made them think they were safe. Attorneys stopped those so they went encrypted. No, I am not going to give more specifics just so you can twist the words. Do your own homework and stop make baseless statements.

Was that ever made public beyond vague statements? At the time, this is all I recall being said. If there was more information made publicly available about that, I do not recall it.

Sheriff Tim Cameron (R) said he requested the radio encryption so criminals would not be tipped off to police responses over the scanner, and to protect the identity of victims of crime. Cameron said Tuesday that dispatchers can still use a countywide channel that some scanners would pick up.

So, doing some research, I find a lot of chatter from the true scanner junkies, 95% of which is just discussing the mechanics of it and how they might get around it. Did find this though.

Eight pages and not one story about these scanner listening drug dealers who were faked out. Seems odd that such an open and shut case supporting encryption wouldn't be big news at the time. Not sure how I twisted anyone's words.