St. Mary's vs. Calvert Memorial

cheryl8455

This may be a no brainer for people who are from this area, but...I am new to the area and was thinking the other day that if I were to need to go to the hospital in an emergency, I am close to an equal distance from Calvert and St Mary's Hospitals. So, my question is, which hospital should I drive to if I need to get myself or my husband to an ER? Thanks in advance for any info!

daycaremama

somdmama5
This may be a no brainer for people who are from this area, but...I am new to the area and was thinking the other day that if I were to need to go to the hospital in an emergency, I am close to an equal distance from Calvert and St Mary's Hospitals. So, my question is, which hospital should I drive to if I need to get myself or my husband to an ER? Thanks in advance for any info!

Sorry no help both of them suck...

itsbob

I bowl overhand
What you'll get from the locals, including me, is it's a wash.

Someone will come in and say "I went to St Mary's and they didn't do anything, went to Calvert and 30 minutes later I was cured!!" Someone else will have the exact opposite story.

I like St Mary's myself.. Calvert sent my daughter home with a "stomach ache" and normal teenage griping, when St Mary's actually did blood work and found out she had pancreatitis..

My kids still go to St Mary's for everything even though they live across the bridge.. and I believe a lot has to do with the ER servised each of them subscribe to. St Mary's I believe is local staffed by local doctors, while Calvert is not.. Disclaimer: I MIGHT be wrong, it's real early in the year, but it's possible this might be the one time this year.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I ended up in the ER at St. Mary's a few years ago. I have nothing but good things to say about the hospital and staff. Never experienced Calvert before, so I can't form an opinion.

K

Kain99

I just had major surgery and opted for Calvert. Just my personal preference.

belvak

Happy Camper
I ended up in the ER at St. Mary's a few years ago. I have nothing but good things to say about the hospital and staff. Never experienced Calvert before, so I can't form an opinion.

Ditto. I've dealt with St. Mary's with very positive experiences in the past. Other than visiting people at Calvert, I've never had to go there for treatment. Bob's right though... You will get a mixed review. If it's not a 911 emergency, head to whichever is closest at the time!

FrmGrl

Get some!
I've worked at both and they are about equal. But these are both small community hospitals, you cant expect too much. In an emergancy I think you will get equal treatment. For anything big I go to AAMC in Annapolis if I can get there. If its something serious they will transport you out anyway.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I've always used St Mary's even though I live in Calvert Co and it's about the same distance between the two. I have no complaints about SMH. Our neighbor had one bad experience at CMH when her daughter got a staph infection from a dirty needle. I am sure there are both good and bad things about each hospital.

nana

Nana
We have used both I am equal between the 3 hospitals and both are good where does your dr go is the major question that way you don't have new docs. Calvert has alot of affilation with Georgetown and those drs are there now.

Just stay away from Civista they still have a long way to go

OldHillcrestGuy

Just stay away from Civista they still have a long way to go

I just had a medical emergency this past weekend and was taken by ambulance to Civista and before this weekend I would have said go to Calvert or St Marys before going to Civista, I run with a rescue squad so I know all three hospitals well. I have used all three hospital's ER's over the years for family,(all 3 just about same distances from Charlotte Hall) Civista on several occasions more recently and had great experiences every time. This past weekend I was admitted and spent 2 days and the service and care I recieved was great.:yay::yay: