St. Patrick's Day

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I wonder if really devout Catholics, especially the Irish ones, ever get upset over a saint's day turned into a raucous celebration, almost a Green Mardi Gras. Does a saint's day have the same depth of seriousness as, say, Ash Wednesday, or Yom Kippur for devout Jews?

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Originally posted by Tonio
I wonder if really devout Catholics, especially the Irish ones, ever get upset over a saint's day turned into a raucous celebration, almost a Green Mardi Gras. Does a saint's day have the same depth of seriousness as, say, Ash Wednesday, or Yom Kippur for devout Jews?
Saints are a dime a dozen in the Catholic Church. EVERYDAY is a saint's day (seriously, there is one for everyday) It's just that a few are better known than others.

As for the Irish being offended by it turning into a big party...the Irish don't have a reputation for being drunks for nothing. I'm not saying we're all drunks, but we do, as a whole, like to party. We Irish DO sometimes get offended by the idea that "everyone is Irish on St. Patrick's Day" You're not Irish, get over it, but we'll let you help us celebrate anyway.

But in all seriousness, St. Patrick's day is a time for family and friends. Our family always gets together, usually the nearest weekend day, and we eat the traditional Irish foods. It's a lot like Thanksgiving, but better, in a way, because you're not trying to rush off to see the in-laws, because chances are they aren't celebrating.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Re: Re: St. Patrick's Day

Originally posted by cmcdanal
As for the Irish being offended by it turning into a big party...the Irish don't have a reputation for being drunks for nothing. I'm not saying we're all drunks, but we do, as a whole, like to party. We Irish DO sometimes get offended by the idea that "everyone is Irish on St. Patrick's Day" You're not Irish, get over it, but we'll let you help us celebrate anyway.

But in all seriousness, St. Patrick's day is a time for family and friends. Our family always gets together, usually the nearest weekend day, and we eat the traditional Irish foods. It's a lot like Thanksgiving, but better, in a way, because you're not trying to rush off to see the in-laws, because chances are they aren't celebrating.

I can appreciate that. I've heard that most English people talk about the Irish the way that many American whites talk about blacks: "They're lazy, they live in filth, they breed like rabbits..." The usual bull. I imagined an angry Irish punk band recording a anthem called "F*** the British."

CowGirlUp

Yeee hawww
I have always know St. Patty's Day to be the day you wear green and the day the Johnny Cranes come out... :shrug:

Vince

Originally posted by cmcdanal
You're not Irish, get over it, but we'll let you help us celebrate anyway.
CMC, I'm not Irish, but I'll help you celebrate. I'll drink my beer from little green bottles! Heineken!!:cheers:

Toxick

Splat
Originally posted by Tonio
I wonder if really devout Catholics, especially the Irish ones, ever get upset over a saint's day turned into a raucous celebration

Are you seriously asking here if the Irish get upset that a day has been turned into a drink-fest?

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child

Originally posted by Toxick
Are you seriously asking here if the Irish get upset that a day has been turned into a drink-fest?

:lol: Of course not. I was only talking about militantly devout Catholics who may or may not be Irish. I was trying to imagine how, say, Orthodox Jews would feel if Budweiser ran an ad on Rosh Hashanah that showed Moses chugging down a 10-ounce.

Some of my older relatives gave my uncle shiat for marrying an Irish Catholic. I used to hear them grouse about the Irish couldn't cook anything but potatoes. I was reminded of that when my brother began dating his now-wife, who is black, and my parents gave him shiat over that. People can be such p***ks sometimes, but why do they have to be that way to their own flesh and blood?