Stallions

eventrder

I am looking to breed my daughters pony to give her something to move up on does anyone know of anything? I would love to breed her with a very small TB. She is a medium welsh pony, I am hoping to get a large.

covekat

I like this horse, I used to gallop him, pretty mover and not real big... stud fee is reasonable, cheap even..I have been around a few of his sires babies (Horatius) and they were all very nice mannered TB's. And a few of them were really small, one was even pony size.

Maryland Thoroughbred

Last edited:

eventrder

I like this horse, I used to gallop him, pretty mover and not real big... stud fee is reasonable, cheap even..I have been around a few of his sires babies (Horatius) and they were all very nice mannered TB's. And a few of them were really small, one was even pony size.

Maryland Thoroughbred

I hate it when they dont have pictures or links to the farm so that I can check him out. Do you know if the farm has a webpage?

covekat

I hate it when they dont have pictures or links to the farm so that I can check him out. Do you know if the farm has a webpage?

I would email them and ask them to send you some pics...Not sure how much in stud fees you want to spend, that would help!

eventrder

I would email them and ask them to send you some pics...Not sure how much in stud fees you want to spend, that would help!

I guess it all depends on the Stallion, if its an impressive horse than I would be willing to spend more, this is a new venture for me. been in horses for over 20 years and have never done the breeding thing and never gone through the hole process, plus I think it will be an awesome learning experience for my daughter!

covekat

It's hard to find small stallions, but not impossible. If your not really worried about bloodlines it gives you more options!

Here is the farms email for the one stud..Phillisophical...worth a try, I'm sure they will be happy to email you pics!

landslidefarm@erols.com

covekat

Here is another horse I personally like, he is not huge, and throws athletic babies... he's also thrown horses with lots of chrome...

Maryland Thoroughbred

Once again, no pics, but Jim Steele at the farm is super nice, you would have no trouble getting pics.

G

GVF

If you are breeeding for an eventer and want to look at something else besides TB's.. check out Maxamillion :)
Golden Venture Farm

Attachments

• MaxconfBIG3Ewosmalle.jpg
    MaxconfBIG3Ewosmalle.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 53
  • Maxjdressage8a.jpg
    Maxjdressage8a.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 67
  • max7-4-(13)BIGsmall.jpg
    max7-4-(13)BIGsmall.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 76

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
Yeah I know but what if the foal is too big??? Or an I just being stupid? Couldnt that be a concern?

The mare controls the size of the foal...I know of a mare that was 14.2 that foaled a baby by a 16.2 stud easily and she was a maiden. And I have heard of greater deficits than that.

TCF42

yeeeeeee!
If you are looking at TB's I know of some. There's Guaranteed Gold (but you could only do AI with him, he lives in Canada) and his babies are just wonderful in my opinion. Also a new favorite is Salute the Truth by Salutely, Steuart Pittman's competition horse. Salute the Truth would personally be at the top of my list if I were breeding!

Guaranteed Gold -- you would also get some nice color here too.
Salute the Truth -- I haven't seen him in person yet, but I've heard he is quite impressive. I think he has actually been as far as Advanced level? (don't remember who told me this, so don't take my word on it) in the eventing world.

covekat

I also think Steuarts horse has gone advanced, I know he went down a level at Marlborough last week... I havent seen that horse in person, but my husband had Salutely as a young horse, shame he never tried to jump him...he sold him instead...