Starbucks shop boots police officers because customer ‘did not feel safe’ around them: reports

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Can't share your enthusiasm about MSP. In my experience they act like they are above the law and there is no recourse if you have a complaint. Its worthwhile to look back as to why the agency was founded and they have strayed far from that mandate. If they appointed me Lord Governor of Maryland, my first decree would be to dissolve MSP and to established a unified policing strategy. MSP should run a statewide crime lab and the the fire marshals office, they should have no primary jurisdiction in any area with an elected sheriff.
I don't believe they have primary jurisdiction in any given County, do they? Sure they enforce State laws, and investigate matters involving State Law and State property. But even a Sheriff out ranks a State Trooper.

PeoplesElbow

Can't share your enthusiasm about MSP. In my experience they act like they are above the law and there is no recourse if you have a complaint. Its worthwhile to look back as to why the agency was founded and they have strayed far from that mandate. If they appointed me Lord Governor of Maryland, my first decree would be to dissolve MSP and to established a unified policing strategy. MSP should run a statewide crime lab and the the fire marshals office, they should have no primary jurisdiction in any area with an elected sheriff.
In the 20 years I have lived in MD I haven't had any dealings with MSP. My comment was related to another state where I've had quite a bit of interaction with the state police, and grew up with one.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
That being said, what kind of person is afraid of the police in a coffee establishment (assumedly) minding their own business?
I'm guessing the guest(s) was/were taken by surprise, fully expecting the police officers to be in the donut shop next door.

Starbucks better hope they don't get robbed or actually need the police.
Well, Starbucks does have syringe disposal bins in their restrooms so assuredly all is under control.

--- End of line (MCP)

officeguy

If I may ...

I don't believe they have primary jurisdiction in any given County, do they? Sure they enforce State laws, and investigate matters involving State Law and State property. But even a Sheriff out ranks a State Trooper.

They have primary jurisdiction wherever it pleases them. We had a bizarre case of two OD deaths in the same house the same day, one investigated by the sheriff's detective, the second one by MSP (that was after MSP stopped cooperating with a joint inestigative task-force). It used to be that they only investigated crimes if they happened within 6ft of a state highway, in recent years they have asserted statewide jurisdiction. In some counties, they have agreements where county police patrols some of the highways (e.g. PG), but that doesn't mean the staties can't kick down some doors if they feel like it.

MSP was founded in 1921 because the sheriff's had a hard time policing those newfangled motorized carriages and because the Baltimore PD grew tired of sending detectives all over the state to back up the then very rudimentary sheriff's offices (often only a sheriff and 3-4 deputies).
MSP has served its purpose. Now even the smallest counties in MD have capable sheriff's or police departments and are able to get access to investigative tools through regional cooperation. Time to fold up an unnecessary paramilitary organization that is a costly duplication of local efforts. The sheriffs are more than capable to run radar on state highways. Have the statewide police deal with statewide issues like MS13 and public corruption that can't be dealt with at the local level.

Last edited:

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

They have primary jurisdiction wherever it pleases them. We had a bizarre case of two OD deaths in the same house the same day, one investigated by the sheriff's detective, the second one by MSP (that was after MSP stopped cooperating with a joint inestigative task-force). It used to be that they only investigated crimes if they happened within 6ft of a state highway, in recent years they have asserted statewide jurisdiction. In some counties, they have agreements where county police patrols some of the highways (e.g. PG), but that doesn't mean the staties can't kick down some doors if they feel like it.

MSP was founded in 1921 because the sheriff's had a hard time policing those newfangled motorized carriages and because the Baltimore PD grew tired of sending detectives all over the state to back up the then very rudimentary sheriff's offices (often only a sheriff and 3-4 deputies).
MSP has served its purpose. Now even the smallest counties in MD have capable sheriff's or police departments and are able to get access to investigative tools through regional cooperation. Time to fold up an unnecessary paramilitary organization that is a costly duplication of local efforts. The sheriffs are more than capable to run radar on state highways. Have the statewide police deal with statewide issues like MS13 and public corruption that can't be dealt with at the local level.

👍 Some history I did not know. Well, I'm thinking, and tell me if I am off base here. That when the Maryland State Police is reduced in size and scope, will be when pigs, (no pun intended), become aerodynamically capable of flight. Other than that, I do agree with your assessment that they are costly, duplicative, and more so than not, redundant. Unfortunately, the term, "mission creep", came about for a reason. As of yet, no politician knows of a term such as, "reduction in spending", or, "reduction in personnel". Nope. Looking like we are stuck with them for evermore. And, lamentably, more likely than not, will continue to grow.

BOP

Hijinx

The State boys have fallen in love with the 40 MPH zone coming into and out of Leonardtown.
When they aren't there, the local police are.

Someone please tell me why the state is widening Rt 5 and stopping before they get to Lido's.
Money I guess.
The whole plan is half assed IMO.
It should be a dual highway from CVS to the traffic light.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Someone please tell me why the state is widening Rt 5 and stopping before they get to Lido's.
Money I guess.

You mean besides all the houses that are sitting practically up to the current sidewalk. Of course it is money. That's a lot of homes to purchase. Even if the state plays the Eminent Domain card, they are to pay fair market value.

Hijinx

You mean besides all the houses that are sitting practically up to the current sidewalk. Of course it is money. That's a lot of homes to purchase. Even if the state plays the Eminent Domain card, they are to pay fair market value.

Pay it now or pay it later. Sooner or later the rest of it will have to be widened.
Do it right one time and it's over.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
On another note, who in their right mind thinks that Starbucks is good coffee? Really?

I worked a 6 month contract downtown at 18th and H St.
Starbucks was some place to hang out and read the paper until office building opened at 7.

Iced Coffee or Tea every morning ....

Grumpy

BTW, from here on in, I would like to be referred to as a Social Media Conversation Facilitator Engineer (SMCFE). Thank you.

Monello would appreciate it if you would shorten it to SME (Social Media Engineer, or if you like, Subject Matter Expert).

Starbucks is the biggest ripoff in the last 20 years, and I laugh every time I hear the term Barista..

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Monello would appreciate it if you would shorten it to SME (Social Media Engineer, or if you like, Subject Matter Expert).

Starbucks is the biggest ripoff in the last 20 years, and I laugh every time I hear the term Boobista..
:fixt:

• Haha
Reactions: BOP