Starbucks To Put Syringe Containers In Some Of Its Stores

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
This is interesting article that cites, among a number of things, this will make the work environment safer.

A few snippets from the article (worth reading in its entirety):

Starbucks workers reported finding blood and needles in bathrooms, as well as being pricked by improperly discarded needles, risking exposure to HIV and hepatitis.

The decision to install needle-disposal or "sharps" boxes in Starbucks locations could help prompt change in the restaurant industry, making workers' jobs safer amid the opioid epidemic.

What do you think? From a public health perspective? From a public policy perspective? Should privaye industry figure this out or should the government get involved? What about unintended consequences?

Interested in your opinions.

Drugs and syringes have become such a problem in Starbucks bathrooms that the company is installing needle-disposal boxes in certain locations

--- End of line (MCP)

black dog

Free America
A huge amount of business's that cater to the older crowd have sharps containers in the restrooms. Mostly for the diabetic's. The hard part with be getting the addicts to use them.

TCROW

I commented in the other thread started on this topic.

But another thought I had: there are plenty of people for whom needles are an everyday part of life.

I’m surprised I haven’t seen more sharps containers in places besides airport bathrooms over the last 20-25 years.

I worked for a company 25 years ago and we moved into a new building which had sharps containers in the bathrooms.

In and of itself, doesn’t bother me at all. The only time I generally go to a *$ is on work travel and there’s not much other choice, either because I’m in an unfamiliar city or I don’t want to sound like too much of a coffee snob in front of my co workers and demand we go find an independent shop.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
I commented in the other thread started on this topic.

Apologies. Didn't see an earlier thread.

Thanks for the comments.

I don't see any problem here. Let business decide how they want to do business. Not so sure about the government getting involved (which the author seems to hint at wanting; citing "opioid crisis").

Wondering about unintended consequences. Does it then create conditions that attract needle users as opposed to providing a service for those already there? Does it then increase property values/decrease? Help/hurt bottom line? Increase/decrease crime? Etc.?

Anyway, back to forum stuff.... SysAdmin, shall I delete?

--- Cheers!