Starlink

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Pulled the trigger and pre-ordered Starlink satellite service. Won't see it for a while, it's not available here until mid to late 2021. I have DSL thru Verizon, and it sucks. 1M download (that's not a typo...) and horrible reliability. It's been down this past week more than it's been up. Nothing more frustrating than to be on travel and try to contact home services and get no connection, or try to use two Internet devices at the same time.

I was hesitant to consider ABB because of all the issues people have talked about.

Starlink is only $20 more expensive per month than my DSL (initial hardware costs excluded), but the speed increase is 50 fold minimum. The website says between 50 and 150 Mb/s, but another article has data rates at 300Mb/s or better. We'll see... I won't know what do do with all that bandwidth....

I've had satellite tv before, so know the potential downfalls, but because the satellites are in low orbit, lots of them, and not 22 thousand miles up, those issues are minimized. One vendor for hardware and service, one call to make for any problems.

@vraiblonde Maybe a consideration for you?

glhs837

Power with Control
Ordered mine a while back, luckily I have decent service except when I dont:) They are knocking out two to three launches of 60 sats each month. Constellation, and therefore service, gets more robust with every launch.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Got an email from Starlink. Shipping delayed until mid-2022. :ohwell:

Seems they also have a new variant of the hardware. The 'old' version supports an Ethernet port, the 'new' one has a different antenna and does not have an Ethernet port, but you can buy an adapter if you really need it.

glhs837

Power with Control

Seems they also have a new variant of the hardware. The 'old' version supports an Ethernet port, the 'new' one has a different antenna and does not have an Ethernet port, but you can buy an adapter if you really need it.

Same here.

Clem72

Old one is better if you can get it. The new one is cheaper to manufacture so they lose less per unit. I think initial costs on those dishes was $5000 (not a typo) and they sell it for $500, so you needed to be a customer for almost 4 years before they break even just on the equipment.

glhs837

Power with Control
Old one is better if you can get it. The new one is cheaper to manufacture so they lose less per unit. I think initial costs on those dishes was $5000 (not a typo) and they sell it for $500, so you needed to be a customer for almost 4 years before they break even just on the equipment.

Do we know its better? Other than the loss of an ethernet port, which I'm okay buying an adapter for. One upside is that the mani cable can now be disconnected from the dish and sent through a wall without a hole the size of a childs fist.

General Lee

Don't hold your breath brother, probably not gonna be much better than hughesnet.

glhs837

Power with Control
And you base that on? You do realize this is a
Don't hold your breath brother, probably not gonna be much better than hughesnet.
And you base that on? You do realize this is a completley new tech, right? And that there are already 140,000 users that would let us know if it sucked like Hughesnet.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Actually, it's a proven and reliable system, far superior to other sat links. Low orbit (320 mi vs 22,500 mi), low latency (4-5 ms), current speeds of 300 Mb/s with 1 G/s on the horizon. There are some deployed here in Arkansas and the users are thrilled.

At it's worst state, still far better than a non-working DSL... :lol:

Clem72

Actually, it's a proven and reliable system, far superior to other sat links. Low orbit (320 mi vs 22,500 mi), low latency (4-5 ms), current speeds of 300 Mb/s with 1 G/s on the horizon. There are some deployed here in Arkansas and the users are thrilled.

Mostly right. 4-5ms is about 3x off. They are currently "sub 20ms" and hope to get down to 10 in their final configuration. The only 4-5ms possible would be content actually hosted on the satellite (like a CDN in the sky) so it only needs 1 leg.

Clem72

Do we know its better?

I guess better is relative. It's wireless tech isn't as good, it's bigger and it's heavier. So not better in those terms. But it's RSSI is higher it can track slightly wider in one axis and considerably wider in the other.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Taken right from the active sats. I've never seen a latency less than 4ms.

General Lee

Oh I hope it's great, I need another option. I'm just in the wait and see mode.

1stGenSMIB

I had DSL a loooong time, I was 150 yards from a Verizon 'outpost', and it was still slow. However, you can't really complain about streaming over a phone line..for what it's worth it was a decent technology..
A move to Calvert Co. prompted a switch to Comcast. I tried DSL over here, but Verizon could never get the line clean enough, so I gave up.
All that said, you will enjoy the upgrade. The Starlink tech looks pretty cool.