State employee gets $27K annual pension for 1 year of employment

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
This is why many states are having a hard time balancing their books. Great retirement deals that far exceed what is fair compensation. How much is this costing Illinois taxpayers?

Ty Petersen worked for Illinois’ largest public employee union, which is strongly supporting the tax hike. Because of that work, he now benefits from a controversial pension sweetener provision that allowed him to take a taxpayer-funded retirement despite working for the state for just one year.
Petersen in 2017 began collecting a state pension now worth $27,500 a year, according to Illinois State Employees’ Retirement System records. A loophole in state law allowed him to work for the state for a year and buy $42,655 in state pension credits for his years as a union worker.

Less than two years after retiring at age 55, Peterson recouped his entire investment.

in the spirit of Capone

pontificator

With states facing budget shortfalls that leave pensions un or underfunded and near-ZIRP seemingly for life, thus reducing actuarially expected returns (which are generally conservative to start with) I don't see how any states can really afford to provide these benefits. Further, I will never wrap my head around public labor unions and how they are allowed.

Cancel these altogether (including at the federal level) and let people take care of their own retirement plans.