Governor Statement on the Passing of Coach Morgan Wootten

newsBot

Automated News Bot
Staff member
ANNAPOLIS, MD— Governor Hogan today issued the following statement on the passing of Hall of Fame high school basketball coach Morgan Wootten:

“I consider two people to be personal heroes of mine: my father, and legendary DeMatha Catholic High School basketball coach, Morgan Wootten. I am absolutely heartbroken to learn that Coach Wootten passed away yesterday.

In his 46 years at DeMatha, Coach Wootten taught history, coached varsity football, and took his men’s basketball teams to an incredible overall 1274-192 record. In 2000, he was inducted into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame, becoming just the third high school coach to achieve that honor.

More important than his coaching accolades is Morgan Wootten’s legacy of molding the hearts and minds of countless young people. After learning I would be the 62nd governor of Maryland, I asked him to share his perspective on leadership, the importance of communication, and working together toward a shared goal with the team I was putting together in Annapolis.

Coach Wootten had an immeasurable impact not only on my life, but on the lives of his players, students, and the community. He will be dearly missed, and the First Lady and I are praying for all who knew and loved him.”