Stella!!

DEEKAYPEE8569

Nothing; it seems; for STM.....yay?

STELLA!.jpg

Chris0nllyn

The "line" is pretty close to PG County/AA County line. Anything south of that may only get 1-3" and some rain. North of that is 5-6"+ ...so far anyway.

The "line" is pretty close to PG County/AA County line. Anything south of that may only get 1-3" and some rain. North of that is 5-6"+ ...so far anyway.
What's really going to be fun is if they have to close St. Mary's schools because of smow in the Charlotte Hall/Mechanicsville area and the rest of the county only has rain... I can hear the heads exploding like over-ripe melons now...:lol:

DEEKAYPEE8569

What's really going to be fun is if they have to close St. Mary's schools because of smow in the Charlotte Hall/Mechanicsville area and the rest of the county only has rain... I can hear the heads exploding like over-ripe melons now...:lol:
That, and all the exasperated comments from the transplants from up north.....'You close schools down here for this?"

glhs837

Power with Control
That, and all the exasperated comments from the transplants from up north.....'You close schools down here for this?"

Not this guy.....I've seen these people "drive" and I use that term VERY loosely, in the snow and don't blame the county at all.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Not this guy.....I've seen these people "drive" and I use that term VERY loosely, in the snow and don't blame the county at all.

Well, here in SOMD, at least, many folks do have the sense to slow down; leave greater distance between cars; stuff like that; but there are the one's in 4x4's that think they can go as fast as they want.....and I'll admit it; I'm a local; born-n-raised and I don't drive well in the ice and snow. So, if/when it snows and sticks or freezes, Homeboy stays off the roads.

catlingirl

My daughter said when she got home from school 3 or 4 teachers mentioned the kids being off school tomorrow. Great I love it when they get their hopes up. We're in Calvert County.

Grumpy

My daughter said when she got home from school 3 or 4 teachers mentioned the kids being off school tomorrow. Great I love it when they get their hopes up. We're in Calvert County.

Dunkirk may get some decent snow, Solomons not so much..I'm betting my lunch money on schools in Calvert being closed.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Dunkirk may get some decent snow, Solomons not so much..I'm betting my lunch money on schools in Calvert being closed.

This is the part that gals me, the excuse for calling a snow day for tomorrow is that, well we haven't used any so far.
Then they complain that not starting after labor day will force them to get out later.
Well here's the opportunity to get out earlier.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Screw the Weather Channel and this naming winter storms crap :)

If I am not mistaken, named storms screw peoples' homeowner insurance up. A storm is a storm; why name it? I think every kid should become a meteorologist. You can be wrong, but still make the big bucks.

I've tried this Stella, and was impressed.

http://www.stellaartois.com/en_us/home.html

:lol:

It says you have to be of drinking age to access your site. It is impressive how the company is trying to bring drinking water to the world.
:yay:
http://www.stellaartois.com/en/buy-a-lady-a-drink.html

We live in Olney, now (miss Calvert). Two inches so far. Landscape biz son in law salted his properties earlier, took a nap, and will be going out to plow later. His winter work was not so great this year. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Dot had to fly out tonight for a Grainger event in FL. She said the turbulence was bad all the way.

Hub and I are babysitting central; holding down the fort.

Last edited:

molly_21

I remember when I was in H.S (I went to Northern "back in the day.") I remember they had a snow day and by 10am the snowflake deep worth was snow was gone because St. Leonard south got the brunt of the snow (I think 6/7"). Since Calvert (and St. Mary's to some extent) is a long skinny county were you can get a HUGE difference in weather between Dunkirk and Solomon's (like what I mentioned). I am not sure why Calvert (or even St. Mary's) can't do like some other Maryland counties do and have districts within the county. So the whole county does not need to make up a snow day because lets say the Patuxent H.S District got 10" of snow, but Northern H.S district got 1" and could have gotten away with maybe a 2 hr. delay.

sm8

I remember when I was in H.S (I went to Northern "back in the day.") I remember they had a snow day and by 10am the snowflake deep worth was snow was gone because St. Leonard south got the brunt of the snow (I think 6/7"). Since Calvert (and St. Mary's to some extent) is a long skinny county were you can get a HUGE difference in weather between Dunkirk and Solomon's (like what I mentioned). I am not sure why Calvert (or even St. Mary's) can't do like some other Maryland counties do and have districts within the county. So the whole county does not need to make up a snow day because lets say the Patuxent H.S District got 10" of snow, but Northern H.S district got 1" and could have gotten away with maybe a 2 hr. delay.

It's all about power and money, no one wants to give any up once they have it.

BernieP

Resident PIA
It's all about power and money, no one wants to give any up once they have it.

County government and the state controls the money. Also the power, which is why it's one district.

I wish everyone would use the same "code"
What's code Blue vs Red vs Yellow. Three county school systems closed, all for the same reason.
You would think a standardized system could be applied to all government.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Then why do other counties (like Allegany and Hartford) have districts? They have a clue maybe?!

I think all counties have districts; at least as they apply to voting. Of course, that may be an entirely different meaning to the term because it applies to voting.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I think all counties have districts; at least as they apply to voting. Of course, that may be an entirely different meaning to the term because it applies to voting.
His reference was not to legislative or voting districts.

In other states school districts are not bound by political subdivision, one or more townships, towns, cities can incorporate a school district.
They do have to be contiguous.

These school districts have their own taxing authority (usually real estate) and an independently elected school board.
They are not bound to the local government.

This allows independence, in more rural areas the district can encompass more townships or a county
Incorporated towns can retain their own school system for historical purposes or choose to join surrounding areas based on their economic requirements.

The county I grew up in had probably over a dozen school districts, running from very small districts that covered a town, to districts that had to have multiple high schools because they grew so large over the years (farmland became suburbia)

The county only provided a forum for districts to share resources, particularly for special needs and tech center.
All other operating decisions were made by the superintendent or school board.

Last edited: