STEM Program

puggymom

This probably belongs in the education section but I was thinking it would get more response here.
I was wondering if anyone has their kid in this program. What is it like? What is Lexington Park Elementary (since that is the only school the program is offered to 4/5graders) like?

MAV

This probably belongs in the education section but I was thinking it would get more response here.
I was wondering if anyone has their kid in this program. What is it like? What is Lexington Park Elementary (since that is the only school the program is offered to 4/5graders) like?

My oldest grandson is I the program and my niece went through it would several years. It is a very challenging program for advanced/gifted children...though it is expensive for the parents with trips and such. My grandson has been in it since 4/5 grade and he is now in 8th. St. Mary's puts the STEM program in the lower scoring schools to better improve the average test scores for the county. Lexington Park Elementary is in a shady part of Lexington Park but there have never been any issues at the school itself. The good thing with regards to the STEM program is that the Naval Base supports it by offering Internships to the students before and during college (and I think part time work during high school). It is a good program just crappy how the school board uses it to make themselves look better instead of fixing the problems at these schools and being able to offer STEM through out the county.

My friend's son is in 5th grade at LPES and he has absolutely loved the program. This is his second year. He is very excited to continue on in Middle School. His parents have never had a bad word to say about the experience and they have really liked both his fourth and fifth grade teachers. From my standpoint, the location for all grade levels is not preferred, but I guess you take the good with the bad.

Daughter was in it and after 5th grade hated it. 3 - 4 hours of homework a night, they lose electives like art, history, English, music to take all the extra STEM classes. She was literally in tears as a 6th grader trying to do the homework, I told her she could get out but she stuck it our to the end of year.
The telling point came at a robotics competition she was at & I was making chatter about Spongebob with some of the other kids while sitting at a lunch table. The father told me they do not watch cartoons, or any TV during the week, they are too busy studying.
I prefer my kids to be kids; learn music, history, poetry as well as science. The STEM program seems to forego the well rounded student who has creative skills in favor of a rote automaton who is a geek but cannot think outside the box.

Just my two cents.

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
My son was in it for 4th - 6th grade. The amount of homework each night was ridiculous. I also took issues with the teachers getting too involved in the student's personal lives and too gossipy. The remainder of MS he was in the regular part of the school.

Mr_Bond_Got_Em

My daughter is a 4th grader in it at LPES. Lots of challenging homework, but all for the better of the student if you ask me. Daughter was working some intense math HW last night, its tough but if they are committed it can be done. It prepares them well for the future. The use of technology (iPads/smart boards, scientific devices) my daughter loves using. The field trips to base have been very informative. She's probably learned more this year than what she would have the whole year otherwise. I can provide many more details, feel free to pm. Its a great program.

nomoney

My oldest has been in the STEM program since 6th grade. He was attending an elementary school I loved so he didn't join up until middle school (he was already slated to attend Spring Ridge).

He's in 9th grade now - he has excelled at it. The teachers are supportive and willing to go above and beyond for the kids.

Comments on homework overload are interesting. My son does the majority of his homework before he even comes home from school. Only the stuff that has to be done on the computer does he do at home most of the time.

nomoney

Comments on homework overload are interesting. My son does the majority of his homework before he even comes home from school. Only the stuff that has to be done on the computer does he do at home most of the time.

:yeahthat: I guess I remember having tons more homework than he gets. He'll have something every night, but usually done pretty quickly.

royhobie

hobieflyer

The Base had a good STEM program with Starbase Atlantis. The Navy closed it down as a cost cutting measure OCT 01, 2013. Darn shame. They did a great job with the kids.

The Base had a good STEM program with Starbase Atlantis. The Navy closed it down as a cost cutting measure OCT 01, 2013. Darn shame. They did a great job with the kids.

If you're willing to go outside the public school system, KCA (The King's Christian Academy) in Callaway has a great STEM program that starts in 4th grade and runs through 12th. Awesome academics with a lot of the extras (robotics, fine arts, athletics, etc).

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
If you're willing to go outside the public school system, KCA (The King's Christian Academy) in Callaway has a great STEM program that starts in 4th grade and runs through 12th. Awesome academics with a lot of the extras (robotics, fine arts, athletics, etc).

Curious.
What does The King's Christian Academy cost a year/student?

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
They have a pretty broad scholarship program and offer a lot of financial help...my chicklet goes there and we've been really happy with it. If you want to have your kid there, they do work with you as much as possible.

:yay:

puggymom

What about after school activities? My daughter takes dance and does a program called Destination Imagination. Is that something she'll have time for? I've heard elsewhere they don't have for extracurriculars...is that true?

What about after school activities? My daughter takes dance and does a program called Destination Imagination. Is that something she'll have time for? I've heard elsewhere they don't have for extracurriculars...is that true?
Boy gets home same time as kids at his "regular" middle school. He has more free time than his siblings in that he does most homework before he even gets home. So in his case, doing extracurricular activities would not be a problem.