Steny Hoyer trying to make DC a State.

Hijinx

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) has pledged to bring the legislation to the floor for a vote. And unlike the last time the House considered D.C. statehood, in 1993, the bill is expected to pass with widespread Democratic support.

Of course it will get Democrat support, It means another win for Democrats.
It means more Democrat House membes and 2 Senators just like Maryland's Democrat Potato Heads.
More like Steny and Kweasy Mfume. Aint that grand?

AnthonyJames

R.I.P. My Brother Rick
Once upon a time, there was seen a need to have a federal city/enclave not affiliated with any state to have a truly independent home for the federal government unbeholden to any state. Land was ceded by two states, Virginia and Maryland, for the creation of such a federal city. Somewhere along the line it came to be that the land west of the Potomac river was deemed not necessary and returned to the state from whence it came, Virginia. If it ever comes to be that any land east of the Potomac river is deemed not necessary it is to be returned to the state from whence it came, Maryland.

As has already been stated, if it is ever declared a state, it's sure to bolster the dem's. The other thing that is for sure is that they will lose there yearly federal grant, which means it will collapse.

Rommey

Can the House do that or do they need the Senate as well?
They (both the House and Senate) need to pass legislation (and the President needs to sign) to enable the process. If the citizens of the district vote for statehood, it would then still require ⅔ majority of both the House and Senate before admitting a new state. One hurdle DC doesn't need to overcome is that the area doesn't currently belong to any state, therefore there is no need to get permission from that state to form a new state.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
They (both the House and Senate) need to pass legislation (and the President needs to sign) to enable the process. If the citizens of the district vote for statehood, it would then still require ⅔ majority of both the House and Senate before admitting a new state. One hurdle DC doesn't need to overcome is that the area doesn't currently belong to any state, therefore there is no need to get permission from that state to form a new state.

Thanks. I thought there was more to it than just House Democrats say so.

awpitt

Main Streeter

Since the Federal District is stipulated in the Constitution, a Constitutional Amendment would be needed. The President is not part of the amendment process. A proposed constitutional amendment must be approved by 2/3 majorities in the House and in the Senate. It would then have to be approved by 38 of the state legislatures. If all of that were to actually happen, then the statehood admittance process would begin.

Hijinx

Well as explained here that it needs 2/3rds of the House and the Senate and a Constitutional Amendment it make it pretty obvious that our boy Steny is just Virtue signaling and sucking up to Barbara Holmes Norton, one of the biggest racists to ever walk shoe leather. Of course they will blame Trump when it doesn';t go through.

Rommey

Since the Federal District is stipulated in the Constitution, a Constitutional Amendment would be needed. The President is not part of the amendment process. A proposed constitutional amendment must be approved by 2/3 majorities in the House and in the Senate. It would then have to be approved by 38 of the state legislatures. If all of that were to actually happen, then the statehood admittance process would begin.
I think you are mistaken here. Article 1 Section 8 provides Congress the power to establish a federal district to serve as the national capital and gives Congress the exclusive power to administer that district. That power was exercised via the District of Columbia Organic Act of 1801 (updated in 1871 and again in 1973). The Constitution doesn't mandate a federal district, only that Congress can choose to establish a federal district, which they did. But that establishment was done via legislation, not by a Constitutional provision. Therefore, no Constitutional amendment would be needed.

DaSDGuy

Well as explained here that it needs 2/3rds of the House and the Senate and a Constitutional Amendment it make it pretty obvious that our boy Steny is just Virtue signaling and sucking up to Barbara Holmes Norton, one of the biggest racists to ever walk shoe leather. Of course they will blame Trump when it doesn';t go through.
I thought it was Bush's fault?!?! That's what obamao always farted out his mouth.

Hijinx

Bowser's action do not surprise me in the least.
I cannot believe that renaming 16th. street Black Live Matter Plaza will stick
First the dumb-assed woman doesn;t know a street from a plaza. 2nd. it is just a political BS move that will not stick later.

But what is really funny-humorous is that with all of these stupid moves being made by Bowser and previous Mayors our boy Steny wants to make the District of Columbia a State. What kind of State would it be? Democrat of course. The real reason he would support such a thing. The unintended consequences would be horrendous.
What would they call this State.? Washington is already gone we have a state called Washington.
You cannot call a State a District so there goes District of Coluimbia.
There is already a State named Columbia, and when the city was named it was named becauise of Columbus and his alleged discovery of America. With all of the historical rendering of how Columbus was such a terrible man --of course they wouldn't want it named Columbia. See whitye I mean, Decisions decisions. LOL

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Bowser's action do not surprise me in the least.

They do me because she doesn't have that authority. She can graffiti on the street if she wants and I couldn't care less, but the NG could have just stayed put and said, "Or what?" What's she gonna do, call the cops?

awpitt

Main Streeter
I think you are mistaken here. Article 1 Section 8 provides Congress the power to establish a federal district to serve as the national capital and gives Congress the exclusive power to administer that district. That power was exercised via the District of Columbia Organic Act of 1801 (updated in 1871 and again in 1973). The Constitution doesn't mandate a federal district, only that Congress can choose to establish a federal district, which they did. But that establishment was done via legislation, not by a Constitutional provision. Therefore, no Constitutional amendment would be needed.

Yes, Clause 17 gives the Congress power to establish and govern the Federal District for the Seat of Govt. Note that the land for the district was to be ceded from existing states which means that it was not intended to be a state. Congress could've chosen not to follow through and just keep the capital in NYC or Philly. But the Constitution is clear that said Federal District was to be separate from the states. Therefore, in order for the existing District of Columbia to become a state, Clause 17 would have to be amended. The only other option would be to disestablish the district and give it back to Maryland in the same way the VA side of the original district was given back to VA.

Clause 17
To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings