Stephanie Roper Hwy

I was a freshman in high school the year this happened. It was such a brutal, horrific crime one would never think it could happen in their own hometown.

I am sickened all over again reading the recap.

Her name is a name I will never forget.

dan0623_2000

Her case is a fine example of our totally out of touch judical system. I was living out of the state at the time of the trial and it was the first time I was ever was embarrased to say where I was from.
I hope her mother never lets the Maryland judical system forget and may her mudrerers rot in hell.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
but her car became disabled on a dark rural road. Two men stopped and instead of helping, kidnapped her at gunpoint. The two men, Jack Ronald Jones and Jerry Lee Beatty kidnapped Stephanie and took her to an abandoned shack in Oakville, St. Mary's County

I was 23 and shared an apartment in St. Charles with my BFF. My parents still lived in Hollywood, so I was always driving up and down Rt. 5. I also worked in Washington, DC. My mother worried herself to death about my being on the roads at night by myself.

Heinous crime. Very sad.

RidgeChick

I was a freshman at CCCC the year after this happened..... I mostly remember the effect this had on my parents...driving a few times a week from Ridge to LaPlata, my dad had a shortened 2 x 4 behind the drivers seat - 'just in case'. RIP Stephanie.

I can only imagine what she was going through....what she was thinking...if she was thinking, my god.

My Mom told me about this while we were driving one day, we were in the area where Stephanie was abducted from...it happened to be just before I got my license. She was 20 at the time, I was 4 months old...she said she was terrified to drive alone, wouldn't drive at night for a very long time and made sure from that point on that every maintenance type issue with her car that she was able to control would always be kept up to date (as I'm sure many, many people, particularly women, did).

My Aunt was killed in a car accident a few years later and if you talked to my Nana about it today she'd still cry as if it happened yesterday, and that was an "accident"...nobody took, tortured and murdered her 'baby'. I can't imagine what her parents and family must have gone through (and likely still go through from time to time), to know what happened to their baby......no words can describe how incredibly heartbroken, sick, angry, etc they must have felt :frown:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I remember this, as my mom was a member of the Grandy Jury that convened to assess the crime and to deem if there was suitable evidence to charge and try them in St. Mary's County for the crimes committed here.

They had already been convicted in the other counties (Charles for the kidnapping, Anne Arundel for another crime associated with Stephanie, and Baltimore for yet another crime associated with Stephanie), but they received minimal time. But trying them in St. Mary's for her rape, murder and dismemberment was important, for it was here that she was finally able to get some degree of justice for the horror inflicted on her.

I just can't imagine what it must have been like for Stephanie, or for her mother. :bawl:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I wonder why the sign is in Anne Arundel Co if the crime happened in St Mary's. From BG's post, some of the crime happened in AA Co but it sounds like the bulk happened in St Mary's.

SoMDGirl42

I was in High School when this happened. I will never forgot.

May Stephanie RIP. Prayers for her family and friends she left behind. Her parents have been great supporters of passing new laws regarding the families of crime victims. God bless them all.

SoMDGirl42

I wonder why the sign is in Anne Arundel Co if the crime happened in St Mary's. From BG's post, some of the crime happened in AA Co but it sounds like the bulk happened in St Mary's.

They took her to a barn in Oakville where they raped her, beat her, tourured her, and eventuallly shot her, dismembered her and set her on fire.

They deserved to have the same done to them, but one has already passed into the gates of hell.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
They took her to a barn in Oakville where they raped her, beat her, tourured her, and eventuallly shot her, dismembered her and set her on fire.

They deserved to have the same done to them, but one has already passed into the gates of hell.

I got that but isn't Oakville in St Mary's? What part happened in Anne Arundel Co? I'm not trying to annoy anyone. I didn't move here until 1997 so until I saw the sign going up, I had never heard of this case. Just trying to understand why the sign is where it is. I was under the impression that something must have happened near Wayson's Corner since the sign was put there.

SoMDGirl42

I got that but isn't Oakville in St Mary's? What part happened in Anne Arundel Co? I'm not trying to annoy anyone. I didn't move here until 1997 so until I saw the sign going up, I had never heard of this case. Just trying to understand why the sign is where it is. I was under the impression that something must have happened near Wayson's Corner since the sign was put there.

I cannot be sure, but I "believe" that may have been where she was from. I think she was atttending college at Frostburg? (someone please help me remember)

dave1959

I cannot be sure, but I "believe" that may have been where she was from. I think she was atttending college at Frostburg? (someone please help me remember)

My understanding is that she was from Southen Maryland, brandywine, croom or somewhere in that area...

I had the same thought though, Why a hyw in that area ???/

MMDad

Lem Putt

She was from Croom, which is on the other side of the Patuxent from the highway.

Shericita

Is it all make believe?
I was 14 and living in Baden at the time of this tragedy. My childhood changed dramatically (and rightfully so)....my parents became SO protective.

RIP Stephanie