Steve King actually raised a good question

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
“White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization — how did that language become offensive?”

Instead of having a discussion, though, the Left clutched their pearls, #### their pants, and DEMANDED! that King be destroyed. And lily livered Republicans joined in the keening. King has been in that seat for 16 years and now they - his fellow Republicans - are demanding he resign.

His question has an answer: "In the early to mid 1960s we decided as a country to include blacks and other non-whites as racial equals." Discuss from there.

I'm not an enormous fan of silencing someone with whom I disagree, or who I feel has benighted attitudes. I'd rather have a discussion with them and try to bring them around. But there will be none of that nonsense in this day and age. Now when someone lobs a clunker, we clutch our pearls, #### our pants, and demand that they be destroyed - just like our 16th century ancestors.

I'd like our society to evolve to the point where we don't fear questions and differing opinions. That we don't default to outrage and anger, and demand that person be silenced. That we simply answer their question without damning them for asking it.

And I note that the media does not have the same outrage when the racist/sexist/gay hater is a Democrat. They are dogpiling hard on King, but are silent when one of their own offers up some offensive racist comment.

Sapidus

“White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization — how did that language become offensive?”

Instead of having a discussion, though, the Left clutched their pearls, #### their pants, and DEMANDED! that King be destroyed. And lily livered Republicans joined in the keening. King has been in that seat for 16 years and now they - his fellow Republicans - are demanding he resign.

His question has an answer: "In the early to mid 1960s we decided as a country to include blacks and other non-whites as racial equals." Discuss from there.

I'm not an enormous fan of silencing someone with whom I disagree, or who I feel has benighted attitudes. I'd rather have a discussion with them and try to bring them around. But there will be none of that nonsense in this day and age. Now when someone lobs a clunker, we clutch our pearls, #### our pants, and demand that they be destroyed - just like our 16th century ancestors.

I'd like our society to evolve to the point where we don't fear questions and differing opinions. That we don't default to outrage and anger, and demand that person be silenced. That we simply answer their question without damning them for asking it.

And I note that the media does not have the same outrage when the racist/sexist/gay hater is a Democrat. They are dogpiling hard on King, but are silent when one of their own offers up some offensive racist comment.

Maybe if this was his first time at the KKK rally but he has a long history of this racist crap.

Get over yourself.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/15/us/politics/steve-king-offensive-quotes.html

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Maybe if this was his first time at the KKK rally but he has a long history of this racist crap. Get over yourself.

Ahh, quim drip? Seems to be a lot of trigger words in the article for you, huh? But as for most clear thinking people, as the New York Times might try, see nothing.

Hijinx

If I may ...

Ahh, quim drip? Seems to be a lot of trigger words in the article for you, huh? But as for most clear thinking people, as the New York Times might try, see nothing.

My God if you offend the darker black or brown set today you are evil.
Republicans are the biggest sack of chicken sh*ts in the world.
They don't back their President nor their party friends.

A pack of A-holes. I only stay in the party to vote in the primary's for local leaders.
Other wise the Republican party sucks.

SamSpade

“White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization — how did that language become offensive?”.

WESTERN civilization is now offensive? Wow. I may have to amend my college transcripts and textbooks.
And about half my personal history library.

But it brings me to another question - I've never quite understood why the N word - is the N word.
A word we all know, but it so objectionable, that it must not be spoken, must not be written, must not be said even to
describe it as a word - but, well, pretty much every other racial insult and ethnic slur is more or less - well - LESS
objectionable. That pretty much all of Carlin's seven words can be said on TV after 10 o'clock (except the F-bomb) -
but you can get fired or have your career RUINED for life if it could be shown you EVER used the N word, even under
your breath when almost no one could hear and maybe 30-40 years ago?

That you can say THE MOST horrific things about Jews in public and in print - and while not ok, it is clearly tolerated.
You can - especially if you're NOT white - say absolutely ANYTHING about white people no matter how vulgar - even
openly proclaim they all ought to be killed - and people will buy your book.

I don't go around using such language. But how does a word ever get so much power?

This_person

If he had left "white supremacist" off the list of things incredulously "offensive" (and "white" off of "white nationalist"), I'd be all over him being improperly chastised.

The point isn't to answer the question, the point is that anyone of any reasonable character knows it is offensive to be a white nationalist or white supremacist or black supremacist or black nationalist or racist of any kind. That's offensive to normal people, and he should not be wondering about it - he should be championing that a "[insert race here] nationalist/supremacist" is a bad thing.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
But how does a word ever get so much power?

Social conditioning. Black people drop the N-bomb all the time - in their songs, in movies, in casual conversation. So clearly hearing it doesn't irreparably traumatize them. It's our (white) societal overlords who arbitrarily decided to declare certain words strictly off-limits. It's a means to control us, and it works.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

My God if you offend the darker black or brown set today you are evil.
Republicans are the biggest sack of chicken sh*ts in the world.
They don't back their President nor their party friends.

A pack of A-holes. I only stay in the party to vote in the primary's for local leaders.
Other wise the Republican party sucks.

No disagreement here.