Steve McNair arrested for NOT DUI...

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
http://www.aolsportsblog.com/2007/05/10/baltimore-ravens-steve-mcnair-arrested-for-dui/

Ravens quarterback Steve McNair was arrested for driving under the influence late Wednesday in Nashville -- even though he wasn't driving. McNair's brother-in-law was driving the car, which is owned by McNair, and since the brother-in-law was drunk, that was enough to get McNair arrested on DUI charges:

Under Tennessee law, the owner of the vehicle can be charged if he or she is the passenger when the driver is arrested on DUI charges. The owner can be charged even if he or she is not intoxicated, Foley said. It was not clear whether McNair was impaired.

I wasn't aware of that law, but if McNair was sitting there in his car and allowing his brother-in-law to drive drunk and risk the lives of other people on the road, I don't have a problem with it. The big question is whether NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will have a problem with it. Goodell has indicated that he'll suspend any players who drive drunk, but it's not clear how Goodell will react to a player -- in this case, a star player -- who's arrested for DUI even though he wasn't actually driving.

This is the second time McNair has been arrested for drunk driving in Nashville. The first time the charges were dismissed when a judge ruled police had no reason to pull McNair over.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
nachomama said:
http://www.aolsportsblog.com/2007/05/10/baltimore-ravens-steve-mcnair-arrested-for-dui/

Ravens quarterback Steve McNair was arrested for driving under the influence late Wednesday in Nashville -- even though he wasn't driving. McNair's brother-in-law was driving the car, which is owned by McNair, and since the brother-in-law was drunk, that was enough to get McNair arrested on DUI charges:

Under Tennessee law, the owner of the vehicle can be charged if he or she is the passenger when the driver is arrested on DUI charges. The owner can be charged even if he or she is not intoxicated, Foley said. It was not clear whether McNair was impaired.

I wasn't aware of that law, but if McNair was sitting there in his car and allowing his brother-in-law to drive drunk and risk the lives of other people on the road, I don't have a problem with it. The big question is whether NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will have a problem with it. Goodell has indicated that he'll suspend any players who drive drunk, but it's not clear how Goodell will react to a player -- in this case, a star player -- who's arrested for DUI even though he wasn't actually driving.

This is the second time McNair has been arrested for drunk driving in Nashville. The first time the charges were dismissed when a judge ruled police had no reason to pull McNair over.

What a shame, guess he should know better.