Stock investors...over summer months.

Hessian

I learned a few years ago that summer is generally a BAD time to invest because brokers are not engaged (vacations & waiting for autumn orders). From what I can tell, this nugget seems true. My best performing stocks are dull & slumping, while new buys are absolute disasters despite very positive ratings being posted.
Any insights on this???

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I don't do investing on my own. I suck at it. I have an Edward Jones account with a profile that automatically adjusts for conditions like this. As long as the stock market isn't outright failing, I still make money.

TPD

the poor dad
Well it kinda makes sense. I guess an easy way to know this is look at historical trading volumes.

Hessian

Since June 10....the Dow has gained 1%...S & P 2.5%...after 9 weeks. For the modest investor, they say "OK"...but for someone who searches for the best market data, and times their purchases, it has been pretty ugly. Three major firms assessed a stock as facing a 25% rise in the months ahead. They called for an 8-10$ rise in price. OK,...so I bought. I am currently out 8%. I bought another based on Kiplinger's view of small cap Tech stocks (ETF) NOPE,...still is in the hole for weeks now. I have a pretty diversified spread but am still getting mauled. July...is for losers.

TPD

the poor dad
Usually October is the slump month. You have my interest peaked now. I'm always looking for new stocks to invest in but have never really considered the time of the year when investing. I'm a long term holder.

So I just looked - my last new stock investments were ABNB and LMND in May. One is up $10 per share from my purchase price, one is down $15 per share. They both rose in June but since July 1 have steadily declined. Hmmmm

Hessian

Airbnb...whoa did it get mauled in May!
If other essential numbers look good, it MAY (?) be a wise buy now. But I would be yelling at the forest right now if I was a long term holder who bought in February! Losing $60.00+ a share sounds as bad as a Biden/Obama speech.

phreddyp

I don't do investing on my own. I suck at it. I have an Edward Jones account with a profile that automatically adjusts for conditions like this. As long as the stock market isn't outright failing, I still make money.
How does it ( automatically adjust ) for these conditions when we are at all time highs ?

phreddyp

How can you justify E.J. their fees are UNREAL ?

Hessian

Don't invest during the summer. Wait till the fall. Take a vacation instead.
Yeah,...I probably should have followed the old wisdom. My losses have kept mounting....this is just too ugly.
Wasn't as pronounced under the previous admin.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I have several penny stocks that are, meh, right now but new rule changes with the SEC should change that late summer and into the fall. I do have one BB stock that has a historical record of spiking in August, so I’m hoping the precedent holds.

Hessian

Well, there's a happy morning for ya...850+ point loss in on the Dow....similar plunge on the S & P.
More truth to back up ...SELL by June 1 & Buy new by Sept 1

Hessian

Although my investment portfolio has generally been a notch better than the DOW....that ain't saying much!

May 7 2021-9/9/2021........................................... 4 months, and Biden's erratic failures and market unease has netted almost ZERO gain in the DOW. (5 volatile swings) Meanwhile inflation has steadily been released from Pandora's box so the Age of Jimmy Carter II begins.
Fuel prices UP,...Unemployment locked, Debt soaring, Trade stagnated off the West coast...and fears of the Covid variants still panicking the Liberal press and the naive.....

Welcome to 1978

HemiHauler

I mean ... all the Fed money juicing the investment markets and all you people can do is complain about Joe Biden? My God.

:roflmao:

Hessian

Carter fired 1/2 of his Cabinet in one day in 1979 after the "Malaise Speech."....Biden couldn't fire up a grill.

Hessian

900 pt crash on Black Friday for the Dow. It now rests just over where it was in May. Months of losses have accrued to a very sickly retirement fund for me. The comfortable private acct that I was happy to see for November is now in deficit.

THIS completely rests on the ignorant voters who pulled the Dem lever for both local and national positions. THEY and their alumni from the Jimmy Carter School of economic wisdom have brought this recession and financial collapse.

The deficit is astronomical, unmanageable...and there is no strategy to turn it around...but we are paying illegal aliens to invade us, and killing the middle class with inflation. May the 11/22 elections destroy the Democratic party for decades.