Stoplight Question

Crow Bait

That won't work out so well if the traffic from Pegg Road is turning north onto 235.

I'm talking about the right turn lane that is the furthest to the right... not all three. This lane has plenty of visability - and could easily see cars coming northbound on 235, or turning from Pegg Rd to go North on 235. Plus - there is the turn lane on 235 N that can be used as a merge lane for these right turning vehicles to merge into northbound traffic.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I'm talking about the right turn lane that is the furthest to the right... not all three. This lane has plenty of visability - and could easily see cars coming northbound on 235, or turning from Pegg Rd to go North on 235. Plus - there is the turn lane on 235 N that can be used as a merge lane for these right turning vehicles to merge into northbound traffic.

If people don't heed the No Turn on Red sign now, what makes you think the other two lanes won't turn right when the 3rd lane does?

Crow Bait

If people don't heed the No Turn on Red sign now, what makes you think the other two lanes won't turn right when the 3rd lane does?

I've not witnessed any right on red turning vehicles from the 2nd and 3rd right turn lane. Also, I think most of the right on red that happens from the Furthest right turn lane occurs because of confusion about the signs.

Crow Bait

It would be easy to solve with a flashing Red Arrow in the turn lane furthest to the right, and a Solid Red Arrow in the other two.

I see benefit to allowing the traffic to trickle out instead of the "opening of the flood gates" that quickly overwhelms the traffic control systems to the north.

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
It would be easy to solve with a flashing Red Arrow in the turn lane furthest to the right, and a Solid Red Arrow in the other two.

I see benefit to allowing the traffic to trickle out instead of the "opening of the flood gates" that quickly overwhelms the traffic control systems to the north.

What happens when the traffic in the other two lanes get tired of sitting at the red light and try to jump over? Or, what happens when everybody coming out of gate 1 decides they want to use that lane? There's going to be a significant back up, be it at gate 1 or on 235 once all the traffic has to merge over.

S

starr

Those turning north already have a longer green light letting the traffic flow when it's safe. I'm pretty sure the only time it is red is when the 235 North bound traffic is coming through. I think they can hold off for a couple of minutes. People don't seem to know how to merge making that a horrible idea IMHO crow bait.

Oh and they just made that a 3 lane trun option like 6 months ago so traffic is flowing better than it was.

Crow Bait

What happens when the traffic in the other two lanes get tired of sitting at the red light and try to jump over? Or, what happens when everybody coming out of gate 1 decides they want to use that lane? There's going to be a significant back up, be it at gate 1 or on 235 once all the traffic has to merge over.

A lot of our traffic schemes depend on drivers being competent enough to safely merge. Why is this case different?

Sweet 16

^^8^^
I realize this may be a silly question....

Coming out of Gate 1 and turning right onto 235 there are three turn lanes. Each lane has it's own arrow stoplight. There's a sign next to the middle stoplight that says "no turn on red".

I ASSumed that applied to all three lanes but I see an awful lot of people make a right on red from that furthest righthand turn lane. When they do that, they turn into another turn lane and are able to "merge" with other traffic.

Is that legal? If I'm the next one in that rightest lane are the people behind me expecting me to turn (am I the idiot blocking traffic)? Or does that sign only apply to the lefter righthand lanes?

Usually at multi-right-turn lane intersections, only the rightest right-turn lane can turn on red, otherwise, there's the potential for cars crossing into the other right turn lanes causing an accident because people can't seem to stay in their own lane when turning. If you don't feel like waiting, you should get in the right-right-turn lane!

Crow Bait

There's the issue, you're expecting drivers to be competent :lol:

I'm allowing for multiple outcomes... Some could be interesting!

"No Turn on Red" allows for only one outcome - and assumes that we are NOT competent at merging. Personally - I'd like to make that decision for myself.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Usually at multi-right-turn lane intersections, only the rightest right-turn lane can turn on red, otherwise, there's the potential for cars crossing into the other right turn lanes causing an accident because people can't seem to stay in their own lane when turning. If you don't feel like waiting, you should get in the right-right-turn lane!

This lane has a no turn on red sign, so they should just not turn on red. There, problem solved.

MMDad

Lem Putt
I'm allowing for multiple outcomes... Some could be interesting!

"No Turn on Red" allows for only one outcome - and assumes that we are NOT competent at merging. Personally - I'd like to make that decision for myself.

Of course, you could just patiently wait your turn instead. Adding cars trying to merge with the Northbound traffic means fewer cars will get through the light. Believe it or not, Rt. 235 does not begin at gate 1. That's part of the reason for the no turns on red - to give those who have waited through two cycles of the light a chance to actually make it through.

Crow Bait

Of course, you could just patiently wait your turn instead. Adding cars trying to merge with the Northbound traffic means fewer cars will get through the light. Believe it or not, Rt. 235 does not begin at gate 1. That's part of the reason for the no turns on red - to give those who have waited through two cycles of the light a chance to actually make it through.

I fail to see how yeilding and merging would impact those cars that have waited. Just as it is not a problem at other intersections were yield and merge takes place.

In fact, if more cars were able to trickle out of the Gate 1 far right turn lane, as traffic flow allows, the light stopping Northbound 235 should stay red for less time. This would be another added benefit. :howdy:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Not being that familiar with the area I'm going to throw this out there....

She said these lights are as you are coming off base. If that is the case, how is an LEO supposed to get behind these cars to see the lights if they aren't on base?

They've done it before..

A cop stands at the corner with a handheld, and calls in cars and plates..

They would pull them over at probably the air museum parking lot and start writing tickets..

MMDad

Lem Putt
I fail to see how yeilding and merging would impact those cars that have waited. Just as it is not a problem at other intersections were yield and merge takes place.

When the road is at 100% capacity, adding more cars will prevent other cars from getting through the light. While you're waiting at that light during rush hour, how often do you see breaks in Northbound traffic? It almost never happens, does it? That's because the road is already at capacity, so adding more traffic will not solve anything.

The Northbound traffic usually has to wait at least two cycles to get through. The Gate 1 traffic rarely has to wait more than one cycle.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

In fact, if more cars were able to trickle out of the Gate 1 far right turn lane, as traffic flow allows, the light stopping Northbound 235 should stay red for less time. This would be another added benefit. :howdy:

You don't work on base and use gate 1 on a regular basis, do you.

bcp

In My Opinion

I fail to see how anyone else is so much more important than others, that they shouldnt have to wait.

MMM_donuts

If you don't feel like waiting, you should get in the right-right-turn lane!

Unless you're behind me because I've always thought "no turn on red" means "no turn on red" so I've just stopped at the line and waited. I've been blocking that traffic!

It's interesting to talk about how it SHOULD be and I'm not really interested in whether anyone else chooses to follow the laws there, I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.