Stopped at Weis

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
...in Callaway. I have never been there, but I needed a few things and it was on the way home. Nice, attentive and pleasant staff, a few things on the shelf I've not see at other stores.

But I found something in the meat dept. that I haven't seen since I left NY; fresh Polish kielbasa. Fresh, not as in new or not old, but as in not smoked, not cooked in any way. Like the difference between ham and fresh ham. I'm anxious to try it. The real stuff from Polish Town on Long Island has enough garlic in it that you really can't talk to anyone for a couple of days. Best way to cook it is to boil it or steam it in sauerkraut. :yum:

20220902_144915.jpg

stgislander

PREMO Member
I love fresh kielbasa. :drool:

I first discovered it in a little Polish deli in Mt Pocono, PA. It is a must for making Halupki.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I love fresh kielbasa. :drool:

I first discovered it in a little Polish deli in Mt Pocono, PA. It is a must for making Halupki.
It was an Easter and New Year's tradition in my ex's family, they were all Lithuanian. There was a Polish meat market in Polish Town (Riverhead, NY), and they made it fresh to order for the holidays.

I hope this isn't a disappointment.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
I always enjoy going into the Weis in Callaway, nice store.

I recently went into the Food Lion in Leonardtown, that's also a nice store.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Well, not bad, but def not authentic. Spices were lacking, specifically garlic. It was more like a pork sausage.

What was disappointing was my horseradish. Had no punch. Maybe it had something to do with the 'use by date' of 7/18 ?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Well, not bad, but def not authentic. Spices were lacking, specifically garlic. It was more like a pork sausage.

What was disappointing was my horseradish. Had no punch. Maybe it had something to do with the 'use by date' of 7/18 ?
I'm spoiled when it comes to horseradish because we raised our own on the farm and ...hoooweee...it's far more powerful than the store-bought stuff. A tiny little dab will do ya...

black dog

Free America
I'm spoiled when it comes to horseradish because we raised our own on the farm and ...hoooweee...it's far more powerful than the store-bought stuff. A tiny little dab will do ya...
The man that owned The Greenery i assume still lives their, grows a acre or so at his home in Hearts Desire.

phreddyp

I have horseradish that's grown in my compost bins for years, it is great got a real kick to it. Only planted it once dug it up threw in the compost comes up on its own every year since. Love it.

black dog

Free America
you and me both. It's been 40 years since stopping at Pollock Johnny's for a sausage was the last thing we did at 3 am before leaving the block to head back to the farm.
God love The Block. I worked on a few high rises downtown and did a big modernization at University of Marylands Hospital Rotunda
We had lunch maybe twice a week at the botom of the hill. Had a few Capt and cokes at
"Kanes Touch of Class" at the top of the hill across from the underground parking. Chicken and wonderbread at Lexington Market.

Edit.
Heres a few World Emblems off the geared hoist motors out of Camden Station five or six years before the stadium was built.
And St Chris that my first wife gave mento wear when working in the sh!t holes Otis sometimes sent us to.

20220904_180004.jpg

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
God love The Block. I worked on a few high rises downtown and did a big modernization at University of Marylands Hospital Rotunda
We had lunch maybe twice a week at the botom of the hill. Had a few Capt and cokes at
"Kanes Touch of Class" at the top of the hill across from the underground parking. Chicken and wonderbread at Lexington Market.

Edit.
Heres a few World Emblems off the geared hoist motors out of Camden Station five or six years before the stadium was built.
And St Chris that my first wife gave mento wear when working in the sh!t holes Otis sometimes sent us to.

View attachment 165963

I was working downtown in the late 70s to fall of '81. Landscaping....we did the Inner Harbor, Convention Center, Hecht Co, Ridgley's Delight etc etc. The block was a busy place back then....in so many interesting ways. LOL. Had to respect the "marketing" some of the proprietors would do...more than a few mornings the phone would ring in my foreman's office, as our trucks were getting ready to roll out, and a pleasant female voice on the other end would inform me that "they were really slow today" in case we had time to drop by. :hot:

Last edited:

phreddyp

you and me both. It's been 40 years since stopping at Pollock Johnny's for a sausage was the last thing we did at 3 am before leaving the block to head back to the farm.
You ever eat at Jacks of Lombard Street? I loved their corned beef and pastrami.

black dog

Free America
Sounds like a prison term
lol. I worked with a bunch of Pollacks while working out of the Baltimore local #7.
Im sure I heard it a 1,000 times, Hey Fritz, you ever have Polish Sausage in the can?
No John I haven't....
Fritzy boy, do you want some????
No John, but I gave your daughter some kielbasa in the can at the last Otis picnic.

Helper then could be heard laughing hysterically while running down the hallway.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
lol. I worked with a bunch of Pollacks while working out of the Baltimore local #7.
Im sure I heard it a 1,000 times, Hey Fritz, you ever have Polish Sausage in the can?
No John I haven't....
Fritzy boy, do you want some????
No John, but I gave your daughter some kielbasa in the can at the last Otis picnic.

Helper then could be heard laughing hysterically while running down the hallway.
We had to hire from the local employment halls every time we had a new contract. Pay "prevailing wage". Worthless...most of them. We'd blow in to a new job site with every crew and piece of equipment we could muster and try to get as much work done as possible before the local B'more super found out we were there. Then we'd pull back, hire the scrubs they forced us to hire..and move slowly onward.