Storage unit drama

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Not really drama but a unique experience none the less.

I don't often get to write anything in this area since I sold the RV. Here's today's installment of this saga.

I get a call at 8:15am about someone looking to furnish an entire home. We meet at 9:15. On the way over I devised a sort of pricing strategy.

It's an older woman by herself. I open the locker. It's stuffed to the gills. I tell her what's in there. At first she wanted the bed and some dressers. I honestly told her I'm just a go between since it isn't my stuff. TLDR we agree on a price for the entire lot. It's a good price. But she can't see the stuff jammed in the back. Her husband arrives with a truck. Moving stuff out it's covered with dust. Some things have mold on them. It wipes off easily. After moving a few pieces the missus leaves. She tells hubby to load it all up. His son arrives with a van to take more stuff and provided needed muscle.

She appeared to be the pickier of the 2. So when she left that made it a lot easier for me. The plan was to unload the entire unit into the driveway. Survey what was there. Then devise a truck packing plan to haul it off.

At some point in the last 5 plus years, some water leaked into the unit. A box of purses and boots is now a school science project. In the back, and I wish I was making this part up, I found 2 black trash bags with kitchen and bathroom trash. A critter had chewed through 1 of the bags. It had 1 of those clear plastic bowls you get with a store pre-made salad. You could even see some dried lettuce leaves on it. I quietly moved those to the area where I was putting stuff like books and pictures in frames that I wasn't letting them take.

The leather chair is all moldy. Then we get to the couch. It's in worse shape. But the faithful husband is doing what he's been told. He's getting it prepped to load in 1 of their 2 vehicles. Since the unit was packed so tight, we werent able to get a clear look at the condition of most things. I make a quick decision. I refund the guy half of the money back. While it was in good shape when it went in, that isn't the case today. They will have to scrub and clean that stuff. Murphy oil should bring the shine back to a lot of the wood.

The mattress and box spring were all the way in the back. Moving large pieces of furniture exposed the boxes. The part touching the ground had disintegrated. So the mattress had stains on it. The box spring was OK. ANd right around this time momma comes back. I felt somewhat guilty at that point. I'm sure she wasn't expecting the stuff to be in that condition. So I mostly stayed in the unit. She began to have the guys moves stuff around. Now she wasn't going to take it all.

In the end they left the leather couch & chair, the hutch and the entertainment center along with the mattress. I don't know if big daddy told her I gave him half the money back. She never said anything to me, so I guess they felt they got a good value for the reduced price.

I called Vrai after they packed up what they could. Now I would have to take the leftover stuff to the dump. She said since the guy has a truck ask if he'll do it for a few hundred bucks. Fingers crossed he meets me there Monday to haul the rest of it away. The few other items will be taken to the good will or similar outfit.

Originally I thought it was a good score at the original agreed price. But then the moldy reality slapped me in the face. Some times you just have to make lemonade. But the saga of the out of state storage unit is in it's twilight. 5 years ago the storage unit seemed like good insurance in case life on the road wasn't all it's cracked up to be. We had a small window of opportunity to clear out the unit at the end of travel year two. But that's only realized by the benefit of hindsight.

They came back for the few remaining items after the dropped off the first load. I pulled out of the storage unit complex at 1:30pm. It was a productive half day. But I'm pooped and will probably soak in the tub tonight. If it wasn't such a long drive, I'd head back to PCB and veg out in the resort's hot tub.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm sick that that entertainment center and leather couch are ruined. Those were quality pieces. ☹

But thank you so much for doing this. :love: I'm also grateful that I didn't have to depend on using that stuff to furnish a new house. Ugh.

I can't even think where the trash came from because by the time the movers arrived I'd been in the motorhome at Solomons for at least a couple weeks and there wouldn't have been any trash for them to pack. It's not like I left two bags of garbage in my apartment that long. Yikes.

Monello

PREMO Member
I'm sick that that entertainment center and leather couch are ruined. Those were quality pieces. ☹

But thank you so much for doing this. :love: I'm also grateful that I didn't have to depend on using that stuff to furnish a new house. Ugh.

I can't even think where the trash came from because by the time the movers arrived I'd been in the motorhome at Solomons for at least a couple weeks and there wouldn't have been any trash for them to pack. It's not like I left two bags of garbage in my apartment that long. Yikes.
Now that think about it, the trash was way in the back. So it was put in the unit early. All the other boxed stuff was near the front. That might have been already on the truck and the food trash was their lunch. I didn't dig in it but I saw an empty tissue box and some random papers like tissue paper. Who knows.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
That's just awful that your stuff got ruined like that. :huggy:

I wonder why your storage unit leaked. I think I would contact the owner of that facility and see about some kind of compensation. Is there any recourse?

Monello

PREMO Member
That's just awful that your stuff got ruined like that. :huggy:

I wonder why your storage unit leaked. I think I would contact the owner of that facility and see about some kind of compensation. Is there any recourse?
If there isn't a leak, the water may have come in from the bottom of the door. If the water didn't drain properly then it could seep in. I say this because the stuff in the front was worse off than the stuff way in the back.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Monello, I wish I could help - work is on overload right now, and by the end of the day, I'm on overload. :lol:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
So today the guy that was suppose to help take the stuff to the dump cancelled. I might have to assemble a working party on the quarterdeck. Any volunteers?
If you need help, please let me know. We've got a big truck and a trailer to assist with your task.

Yes, I said it.

PeoplesElbow

Damn you would have been better off just not paying the bill. How many times would the storage fees just paid for new stuff?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Damn you would have been better off just not paying the bill. How many times would the storage fees just paid for new stuff?

I'm not the type of person who doesn't pay a bill. I thought about it but that would use up a ton of karma points I'll need for something else.

You're right, though - I should have unloaded it years ago. But I didn't. :doh:

Monello

PREMO Member
That's sort of like when I drive by outdoor storage lots. There are tons of RVs & boats in them where you can see that the item hasn't been moved in years. Tires on trailers are flat. But someone is paying to keep that stuff in there. At some point the fees paid exceed the value of the stored item.