Stovetop and stove

lucky_bee

RBF expert
you can't convince me that gas isn't consistently better than electric. I f*cking hate my electric glass stove top for a multitude of reasons and have just been saving for the gas cook top I'll be needing when we eventually renovate the kitchen. Thankfully the builder was smart and piped in for gas, so we're not starting completely from scratch.

PJay

you can't convince me that gas isn't consistently better than electric. I f*cking hate my electric glass stove top for a multitude of reasons and have just been saving for the gas cook top I'll be needing when we eventually renovate the kitchen. Thankfully the builder was smart and piped in for gas, so we're not starting completely from scratch.
I do like it's easier to clean.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I do like it's easier to clean.
beg to differ :lol: mine has a vent in the center between the burners (not a hood vent) and that thing gets so gross, and so much food slips in thru those vent slots. I wipe it down after every use and do a deep clean every few months and the whole thing always smells like grease. Not to mention, previous owner burned a few things on it, I've burned a few things on it, and no matter what "hack" I've tried, the glass will always have some weird stains/rings on it. It never feels clean to me.

I've even started to notice that it puts a weird greasy discoloration on some of my pots and pans I can only get rid of with some incredible elbow grease and a day-long soak in certain chemicals.

PJay

beg to differ :lol: mine has a vent in the center between the burners (not a hood vent) and that thing gets so gross, and so much food slips in thru those vent slots. I wipe it down after every use and do a deep clean every few months and the whole thing always smells like grease. Not to mention, previous owner burned a few things on it, I've burned a few things on it, and no matter what "hack" I've tried, the glass will always have some weird stains/rings on it. It never feels clean to me.

I've even started to notice that it puts a weird greasy discoloration on some of my pots and pans I can only get rid of with some incredible elbow grease and a day-long soak in certain chemicals.
Ok..I can see the type you have being difficult. :lol:

Mine doesn't have a vent in the center..and now never will since your review of one being there. Thanks!

PeoplesElbow

Did some reading - here's the gist of what one poster said -

Stoves have two "settings" - ON - and OFF. It's not like a dimmer swtich where you get varying degrees, although I have seen burners with separate sets of coils. So basically - this is how it stays in a target temperature range - it heats up - reaches that temp - and then stops for a while until it needs to heat up again.

So when you put it on Max - it's not "burn as hot as you can all the time". It's "burn at THIS preset temperature, but cool off when it goes above that".

This of course doesn't happen when you cook with GAS. I think I may get gas for my next home - if the government doesn't OUTLAW it.
Gas is so much better. I've been wondering if induction does levels of heat vs on/off like the glass tops.

My moms house has a gas stove and its much better for doing just about everything.

PeoplesElbow

Mr Clean Magic Eraser for stains, and then the good old formula Windex with ammonia in it. Mine is squeaky clean, even after accidently spilling a bottle of corn oil on it.

PJay

Gas is so much better. I've been wondering if induction does levels of heat vs on/off like the glass tops.

My moms house has a gas stove and its much better for doing just about everything.
sorry, misread you and had an interruption during my answer.

"Although both the induction and electric cooktop cycles its power on and off to stay at a chosen temperature, the electric cooktop does it inefficiently."

I have induction and what it says above is true..but, gas stoves are better.

Boiling water for example takes longer than it takes over a constant flame. Not complaining.. it's just the truth.

Last edited: