Strategic Choices and Management Review

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
I read this today & I was shocked at some of the idiotic 'considerations' that this review produced..."Other personnel cuts under consideration include ending subsidies for defense commissaries, restricting the availability of unemployment benefits for out-of-work veterans and eliminating civilian pensions for retired military personnel serving in civilian government service, Hagel said." :eyebrow::boo:

An end to civilian pensions for military retirees? | Federal Times | federaltimes.com-

philibusters

I read this today & I was shocked at some of the idiotic 'considerations' that this review produced..."Other personnel cuts under consideration include ending subsidies for defense commissaries, restricting the availability of unemployment benefits for out-of-work veterans and eliminating civilian pensions for retired military personnel serving in civilian government service, Hagel said." :eyebrow::boo:

An end to civilian pensions for military retirees? | Federal Times | federaltimes.com-

If a military retiree earns a GS pension under FERS then its seems discriminatory not to give them the pension.

If you work 20 years for the military then retire, then work 20 years as GS employee for the Federal Gov't I see no problem with you getting to pensions, one military and one civilian (assuming you are old enough to get your civilian pension, for example, if I retired before I am 62, by civilian gov't pension would be deferred until I am 62).

Once is a while you get a military retiree who thinks they can double dip and count the same years towards both retirement which obviously you are not allowed to do. They heard about their friend getting credited 12 years towards their civilian pension for their 12 years in the military service and think they can get their 20 years of military service applied to their civilian pension. However obviously you are not allowed to count your military time towards you civilian pension if that time is calculated into your military retirement.

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
Exactly - So many uninformed people think retired military who then work civil service are 'double dipping'...this is an untruth.

DooDoo1402

The fear of Smell
Exactly - So many uninformed people think retired military who then work civil service are 'double dipping'...this is an untruth.

Actually I know MANY double dippers.. who are collecting a military pension and earning a GS paycheck. That is what is known as double dipping. As the other person posted, the employee could not count their military time towards their GS (FERS) time for retirement If, and only IF they are collecting a military pension. There are many folks, like myself, who had many years of military, but did not do 20 and retire, bought back their military time which is included now in their GS (FERS) retirement service.

However, after reading the article, it gave me the improession that Hagel will be looking at cutting those military pensions if the person swings into a GS position. That is the way I read it anyway. We do have a major problem with what is known as the military revolving door... whereas many high ranking officers hold military positions and retire on a friday, swing in on monday as a GS-14/15 because either they wrote the PD for the position, or they are on cohoots with the hiring management because of their military position. It happens alot more around the beltway. It seems Hagel wants to put a stop to that too... which I totally agree with.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Actually I know MANY double dippers.. who are collecting a military pension and earning a GS paycheck. That is what is known as double dipping. As the other person posted, the employee could not count their military time towards their GS (FERS) time for retirement If, and only IF they are collecting a military pension. There are many folks, like myself, who had many years of military, but did not do 20 and retire, bought back their military time which is included now in their GS (FERS) retirement service.

However, after reading the article, it gave me the improession that Hagel will be looking at cutting those military pensions if the person swings into a GS position. That is the way I read it anyway. We do have a major problem with what is known as the military revolving door... whereas many high ranking officers hold military positions and retire on a friday, swing in on monday as a GS-14/15 because either they wrote the PD for the position, or they are on cohoots with the hiring management because of their military position. It happens alot more around the beltway. It seems Hagel wants to put a stop to that too... which I totally agree with.
Actually, one can waive their military retirement prior to retiring from civil service and then be credited for the military years as part of their Federal retirement (you must also make the deposit for post 1956 military service).
See Military Retired Pay

DooDoo1402

The fear of Smell
Actually, one can waive their military retirement prior to retiring from civil service and then be credited for the military years as part of their Federal retirement (you must also make the deposit for post 1956 military service).
See Military Retired Pay

Correct. That is why I stated "only if" they weren't collecting the military retirement. Each tenure and case could be different and it is up to the retiree to see which is beneficial.