Straw

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
happyappygirl said:
and expensive? they are gonna poop on it not eat it :lol:

Gunna pay $3 bale no matter where you get it...put down shavings then..and when they are about to plop that very minute put your straw on top of your shavings...if you do it a week or so ahead you will waste alot...good luck

K

Katie

happyappygirl said:
Babies are coming January so i need to get straw for the stalls...where is everyone getting it?
TIA...

:whistle:

I can't wait for new babies!

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
smoothmarine187 said:
I have about 10 bales if you want them......they are left over from Halloween....lol......I have been trying to get rid of them.
WOW thanks!
Have they been rained on? Can't have mold in them. That's not good for the wee one.

Paso, i can't use shavings...not for babies.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
happyappygirl said:
WOW thanks!
Have they been rained on? Can't have mold in them. That's not good for the wee one.

:smack: YES you can...under your straw...straw will not obsorb urine or the fluid from when the baby is born...Oh well do what you feel you need to do...I dont know anything... :whistle:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
happyappygirl said:
so it's safe? they won't eat it? or breathe in the dust? do you have mats on the floor?

Yes I have rubber mats...then usually use woodypet or shavings and then my straw...and the worry with the babies is not so much the breathing it in and eatting it as for the safety of the MARE...

Do you have closed in stalls now or the run in shed type stalls? do you have rubber mats down?

mingiz

Horse Poor
Pasofever said:
:smack: YES you can...under your straw...straw will not obsorb urine or the fluid from when the baby is born...Oh well do what you feel you need to do...I dont know anything... :whistle:

Happy ....Paso is right...(Has that T-shirt) No it won't hurt anything atleast there is some cushion also.... :huggy:

smoothmarine187

happyappygirl said:
WOW thanks!

I think 3 of the bales got some rain on them, but all of the others have just been sitting in my garage taking up space.

Winn Dixie

Song of the South
happyappygirl said:
WOW thanks!

You need to get straw intended for bedding, not decoration or landscape use. Serenity Farm in Benedict has beautiful clean straw. If you go there ask for the bedding straw ($4.25 a bale, but well worth it!).

Cowgirl

Well, I haven't birthed a whole lotta foals....but I've birthed a crap load of calves and lambs....I definitely prefer straw over the shaving/straw combo. The cows always kick up the bedding and the shavings get mixed up to the top layer....then the calves get covered in it and the cows have a harder time cleaning them off...and they end up eating alot of it. It's just a PITA...JMO.

And just for clarification, I didn't actually "BIRTH" them...but you know what I mean....

smoothmarine187

Winn Dixie said:
You need to get straw intended for bedding, not decoration or landscape use. Serenity Farm in Benedict has beautiful clean straw. If you go there ask for the bedding straw ($4.25 a bale, but well worth it!).

lol...aren't the animals just going to crap all over it anyway?

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
Pasofever said:
Gunna pay $3 bale no matter where you get it...put down shavings then..and when they are about to plop that very minute put your straw on top of your shavings...if you do it a week or so ahead you will waste alot...good luck

They had straw at the auction last weekend for $2 a bale. Should have some next auction.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
Busterduck said:
They had straw at the auction last weekend for $2 a bale. Should have some next auction.

The straw looked pretty nice too. There is also a fella in Huntingtown who has wonderful clean rye?? straw. I think his goes for 3 a bale. BTW I would surely wait till momma bags up or till her temp is right before putting in the straw. I wasted so much straw one time putting it in too soon. Do you have a camera//monitor system hooked up? Give me a ring if you get the chance.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
SouthernMdRocks said:
The straw looked pretty nice too. There is also a fella in Huntingtown who has wonderful clean rye?? straw. I think his goes for 3 a bale. BTW I would surely wait till momma bags up or till her temp is right before putting in the straw. I wasted so much straw one time putting it in too soon. Do you have a camera//monitor system hooked up? Give me a ring if you get the chance.

Yes I alwalys have a camera monitor system up....its a lifesaver.. :lmao:

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
Pasofever said:
Yes I alwalys have a camera monitor system up....its a lifesaver.. :lmao:

I much prefer to sleep in my bed with one eye on the TV then in the barn, especially this time of the year. Before I had the monitor, I slept in the barn on a lawn chair with a heating pad!!! :jameo:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
WELL, Percy will be checking on my momma...my darling girl Dani will be bunking down in her barn until the big moment arrives. :huggy: SUCH a sweet friend for moi!!

Appy babies will be born here though, I have Rottncop in OVERDRIVE building my stalls all nice and cozy.