Stuffed ham portions...

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
No, I don't but will try very hard to get it for you as it was incredible!

2A was going to make stuffed ham for a party at my house, ran out of time, then improvised and made a soup that was to die for! McKay's also made a similar soup several years ago and it was *almost* as good.

I will make it my mission to get the secret of making it out of one or both. :lol:

That would be amazing please share when you get the secret recipe :)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
2A was going to make stuffed ham for a party at my house, ran out of time, then improvised and made a soup that was to die for! McKay's also made a similar soup several years ago and it was *almost* as good.

That chit was excellent and better than the stoup that McKay's put out. I think the potatoes were the deal breaker with the McKay's version and they didn't have enough stuffing, plus it was fairly mild. 2A's was hotter than Satan's taint (which would be a great name for a band).

I made a stuffed ham casserole that was ridiculous. Just the ham, penne and a cheese sauce, bake until bubbly.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I think everyone here telling you 4-5lbs are letting their love of the delicacy cloud their judgement. :lmao:

The ladies at the market are right. About 1/4lb per person is plenty. I've bought platters of it for the guys at work (construction electricians) and ALWAYS have plenty left over. They eat like ANIMALS!!!

Think about it.... who could eat a full pound of cooked hamburger.... on TOP of a full T-giving meal?!?!? Right, no one.

They will take a few slices on their plates along with turkey, taters 'n gravy, green beans, yams, corn, crab imperial, ambrosia & bread. We haven't even mentioned appetizers.

4-5lbs, you will have at least 3lbs left over.

I'll bet ya a ham sammich on it! :yum:
You just need to hush the heck up. The more stuffed ham there is, the better. :yay:
That chit was excellent and better than the stoup that McKay's put out. I think the potatoes were the deal breaker with the McKay's version and they didn't have enough stuffing, plus it was fairly mild. 2A's was hotter than Satan's taint (which would be a great name for a band).

I made a stuffed ham casserole that was ridiculous. Just the ham, penne and a cheese sauce, bake until bubbly.
I remember that. That stuff was off the hook good! :drool:

Lexib_

Blah.. Blah...Blah
You just need to hush the heck up. The more stuffed ham there is, the better. :yay:

I remember that. That stuff was off the hook good! :drool:

Found this old thread

http://forums.somd.com/food-nutrition/119564-stuffed-ham-soup-2.html

Using a chicken broth base, chop spinach & kale, add to base with red pepper, black pepper and chopped onions. Cook until vegetables are done and add cubed ham. You can throw in some cooked, diced potatoes if you want to make it heartier. I've made it for years before I saw anyone doing it publicly. If you know someone who is cooking a stuffed ham, you can ask for some of the broth from that, put in fridge to get all the fat cold, remove the fat and then just cook the vegetables and add ham. I cook by taste and if you know the taste you desire, you can make anything....

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Ohhhh, Mikey!!! :high5:

The lady at Chaptico Market and you were right! I left the order at 3lbs. and we still have 1 lb. left. :lmao:

All 5 of us had some stuffed ham - Thing2 probably the most since he doesn't like turkey. Along with it, we had turkey, mashed potatoes, cornbread stuffing, escalloped corn, roasted brussels sprouts, King Hawaiian rolls, and cranberry sauce, so we had plenty of stuffed ham!!

In fact, I've already had a little snackie of some ham & stuffing on a roll. :yum:

Caution

Ohhhh, Mikey!!! :high5:

The lady at Chaptico Market and you were right! I left the order at 3lbs. and we still have 1 lb. left. :lmao:

All 5 of us had some stuffed ham - Thing2 probably the most since he doesn't like turkey. Along with it, we had turkey, mashed potatoes, cornbread stuffing, escalloped corn, roasted brussels sprouts, King Hawaiian rolls, and cranberry sauce, so we had plenty of stuffed ham!!

In fact, I've already had a little snackie of some ham & stuffing on a roll. :yum:

LOL Yesterday I think I had 5 Stuffed Ham Sammiches. Each was piled pretty high. 3lbs.? Likely would not go far with me and my bunch LOL

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
LOL Yesterday I think I had 5 Stuffed Ham Sammiches. Each was piled pretty high. 3lbs.? Likely would not go far with me and my bunch LOL

5 sandwiches in a day? Is that all you ate in a day? I personally would never have room to eat like that. Likely the Things or Foxhound could, I suppose, if that's all they ate.

IF I wanted to have a whole stuffed ham, I'd have found the time to make one. I wanted enough to serve and have some left to make sandwiches with. I'm happy with what we had. As it is, we had 5 people, 1 of whom would not be here for more than 2 meals. We had plenty AND leftover turkey & sides for at least a couple more days. Plus, turkey parts & stock in the freezer for soup. Tomorrow will be definitely be stuffed ham sammiches for lunch day.

Caution

5 sandwiches in a day? Is that all you ate in a day? I personally would never have room to eat like that. Likely the Things or Foxhound could, I suppose, if that's all they ate.

IF I wanted to have a whole stuffed ham, I'd have found the time to make one. I wanted enough to serve and have some left to make sandwiches with. I'm happy with what we had. As it is, we had 5 people, 1 of whom would not be here for more than 2 meals. We had plenty AND leftover turkey & sides for at least a couple more days. Plus, turkey parts & stock in the freezer for soup. Tomorrow will be definitely be stuffed ham sammiches for lunch day.

Oh I know. I just love the stuff and look forward to having it this time of year. Just had 2 more. :whistle:

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Make Stuffed Ham Quiche. Follow a bacon spinach quiche recipe, subbing ham and dressing for the bacon and spinach.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Make Stuffed Ham Quiche. Follow a bacon spinach quiche recipe, subbing ham and dressing for the bacon and spinach.

This sounds delicious! I'm a big fan of doing things with stuffed ham besides just making sandwiches.

I'm seriously considering making my own stuffed ham for Christmas just to say I did it, then I can go back to getting it from Chaptico Market.

frequentflier

happy to be living
This sounds delicious! I'm a big fan of doing things with stuffed ham besides just making sandwiches.

I'm seriously considering making my own stuffed ham for Christmas just to say I did it, then I can go back to getting it from Chaptico Market.

Invite me, please :howdy:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed

Invite me, please :howdy:

Be sure to set aside a great deal of time when you do stuff your ham.

Trimming the ham of fat takes time, puncturing the ham with slices doesn't take too long, but chopping the greens takes a bit of time (and PLEASE, for the love of Baby Jeebus, do NOT use a food processor to do it. Chopping it that way turns your stuffing into green mush). Cooking the thing takes hours....hours....and then it needs to be chilled completely before you slice it. We make it a multi-day activity.

So, in short, don't expect it to take just a few hours or so....it takes a long time.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Be sure to set aside a great deal of time when you do stuff your ham.

Trimming the ham of fat takes time, puncturing the ham with slices doesn't take too long, but chopping the greens takes a bit of time (and PLEASE, for the love of Baby Jeebus, do NOT use a food processor to do it. Chopping it that way turns your stuffing into green mush). Cooking the thing takes hours....hours....and then it needs to be chilled completely before you slice it. We make it a multi-day activity.

So, in short, don't expect it to take just a few hours or so....it takes a long time.

This is why I haven't done it up to this point. :lol:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Trimming the ham of fat takes time, puncturing the ham with slices doesn't take too long, but chopping the greens takes a bit of time (and PLEASE, for the love of Baby Jeebus, do NOT use a food processor to do it. Chopping it that way turns your stuffing into green mush).

I'll have to disagree with you on this one BG. I use a processor to do my greens and my stuffing turns out pretty dadgum good. I get better consistency but I drop small batches at time so I can better monitor the texture. :yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I ran by Chaptico Market on my way home and picked up 2 lbs, which really doesn't seem like a lot of ham, and some chickie that was going to be dinner tonight but will probably end up being a midnight snack the way I'm rolling.

So what is the agenda - chop, stuff, then cook the next day? How long prior to stuffing can you chop the greens?

Caution

I ran by Chaptico Market on my way home and picked up 2 lbs, which really doesn't seem like a lot of ham, and some chickie that was going to be dinner tonight but will probably end up being a midnight snack the way I'm rolling.

So what is the agenda - chop, stuff, then cook the next day? How long prior to stuffing can you chop the greens?

I usually chop, stuff and cook all the same day. One step right after the other. Best to let cool very well before slicing though. Best to have 1-2 helpers. Stuffing can be time consuming. We make it a family project.

Couple of pics here:
http://forums.somd.com/life-southern-maryland/282774-any-stores-have-corned-hams-5.html#post5297362
http://forums.somd.com/life-southern-maryland/282774-any-stores-have-corned-hams-4.html#post5297379
http://forums.somd.com/life-southern-maryland/282774-any-stores-have-corned-hams.html#post5297840

Last edited:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I usually chop, stuff and cook all the same day. One step right after the other. Best to let cool very well before slicing though. Best to have 1-2 helpers. Stuffing can be time consuming. We make it a family project.

Couple of pics here:
http://forums.somd.com/life-southern-maryland/282774-any-stores-have-corned-hams-5.html#post5297362
http://forums.somd.com/life-southern-maryland/282774-any-stores-have-corned-hams-4.html#post5297379
http://forums.somd.com/life-southern-maryland/282774-any-stores-have-corned-hams.html#post5297840

A family friend and her daughters chose our place to do this project - and it IS a project - a few years back. I was really impressed, but decided that I wouldn't try to do it all by myself, at least not initially. And, at least for us, it was quite a messy thing. Took a LOT of cleanup afterward.

Caution

A family friend and her daughters chose our place to do this project - and it IS a project - a few years back. I was really impressed, but decided that I wouldn't try to do it all by myself, at least not initially. And, at least for us, it was quite a messy thing. Took a LOT of cleanup afterward.

Ya I usually clear the kitchen first. Pick any rugs up throw them outside. Push chairs into the dining room. Clear most items of the counters in area close to work area. We usually try to have 2-3 people working. 2 actually stuffing the ham while the third is washing dishes and doing a general neat & tidy on the kitchen. That way when all is done the ones who worked on the ham don't have much left to do and can take a break.

But a LARGE tub is the key. Something big with high sides. When you start pushing on the stuffing a lot of it seems to liquefy as you can see in the pic in the 2nd link.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

I make colcannon potatoes with it. It's basically just mashed potatoes with cabbage, but it's a staple in Ireland.