stuffed ham

grandpa

We are new to the area and have heard of "stuffed ham" I saw a "corned ham" the other day at the grocers. Can anyone tell me about this type of pork? The corned ham looked like a fresh ham to me? Forgive me for being ignorant.
Where may we find a sample of the stuffed ham? Would love to try any new food.

K

Kain99

Corned meat is basically pickled Meat:

No special Pork Just plain old Ham...

10 ounces of sugar
2 1/2 ounces of sodium nitrate
3 pounds of salt
3 level teaspoons of pepper
1 level teaspoon of ground cloves
6 bay leaves
12 level teaspoons of mixed pickling spice
If you care for onions, mince one onion 3 inches in diameter
If you care for garlic, mince 4 garlic cloves.

Since I doubt you'll ever actually corn a ham I'll skip the details. The best place for stuffed ham is St. Mary's Landing in Charlotte Hall. The same people owned Hills Halfway House. For a short time the made the Hills family recipe public and I saved it.

I won't lie to ya, Stuffed Ham can require an acquired taste.

Hill's Halfway House Stuffed Ham

Southern Maryland Stuffed Ham has been a family favorite for more than 200 years. Stuffed Ham is usually served cold

16-18 lb De-boned Corned Ham

4 lb kale
4 lb cabbage
1 bunch celery (stalks only)
1 medium onion
1 lb watercress (optional)

Chop all ingredients into tiny 1/2 to 1" peices. You may use your blender but be careful not to puree'
your ingredients. You want some consistency.

Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Blanch ingredients.
Ingredients should stay in water no longer than 3 minutes.
Remove and drain.
Let your ingredients cool to room temperature.

Spices

4 tablespoons salt
4 tablespoons black pepper
3 tablespoons mustard seed
2 tablespoons celery seed

(Hot Stuff !! Amounts can vary according to taste)
3 teaspoon hot sauce
2 tablespoon crushed red pepper

In a large Bowl Mix spices into stuffing.

Stuffing your ham

Generously stuff the bone cavity of your ham with your stuffing.
Cut large X's around your ham and push stuffing in to these.
Tie the ends and mid section of ham with butchers twine..
Wrap ham in cheese cloth .

Cooking

In a large Pot bring water to a rolling boil.
Carefully place ham into pot.
Simmer ham 15 min per pound.

It is important not to overcook your meat!

Cooling

Follow cooling instructions closely!

One thing to remember is when you are cooling food you need to do it quickly. This way
your food isn't in that danger zone!

When you have completely cooked your ham remove from Pot.
Place Ham directly into an ice bath. (enough ice and water to cover entire ham)
Add Ice frequently! Complete Cooling should take no longer than 2 hours.
When ham has cooled place into refrigerator immediately.

Slice Stuffed Ham and arrange on platter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by Kain99
When ham has cooled place into refrigerator immediately.

Slice Stuffed Ham and arrange on platter.

You forgot a step........

Blow chunks into a trashcan or other similar container.

Search cupboard for can of franks and beans or Spam.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
A corned ham uses the same method as corned beef to preserve meat. You are basically soaking it in a brine solution with seasonings in order to preserve it. Here's some information on how to corn your own: http://www.kitchenlink.com/msgbrd/board_21/2002/OCT/4333.html

Since it's a Southern Maryland tradition, the best places to get stuffed ham are at the locally-owned grocery stores: Woodburn's (Solomon's), Mattingley's (Leonardtown), and McKay's (Lexington Park/Great Mills, California, Hollywood).

If you feel adventerous, here's a link to some recipes: http://www.baycooking.com/stuffed_ham.htm

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
If you're new here, this is the scoop (I've been here almost 2 yrs, so I tried the local delicacies too) Stuffed ham is like dry, sour corned beef and the stuffing is salty stovetop style. Nothing special, I wouldn't buy more than a pound to try, and most grocery stores have it.

You want something interesting try scrapple. Coming from good midwest polish/german country I thought I'd tried every pork by-product there was, I was woefully wrong - avoid at all costs unless you love headcheese crossed with braunschweiger.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
In the last 13 years that I have been here, I have tried stuffed ham on several occassions. It just reinforces the fact the I do not care for it. But hey! More for everyone else!

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
2A made a pretty good one last year for Thanksgiving or Christmas or New Years :confused: (can't remember when). It was the first and only time I've ever had it, but it was :yum:

And what's the the scrapple bashing jlab? That's some good shiznit too! Just don't ask what's in it. :wink: Besides, if you ate every other pork byproduct, you've essentially had scrapple; just not in one sitting. :biggrin:

TWLs wife

Originally posted by grandpa
We are new to the area and have heard of "stuffed ham" I saw a "corned ham" the other day at the grocers. Can anyone tell me about this type of pork? The corned ham looked like a fresh ham to me? Forgive me for being ignorant.

I worked at Mc.Kays one year I tryed it. I'm still not sure if I like it. I was rise in MD too.:ohwell: :shocked:

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Originally posted by *archimedes*
Just so you know, jlabsher is one of those that mock all things Southern Maryland, so his credibility is for ####.

Thanx for the vote of support. I mock everything, not just beautiful SOMD. If it can't stand up to my comments they must be true, and Arch if you love scrapple, head on over to the eastern shore and try one of their delicacies, muskrat!

TinaTina

Originally posted by grandpa

Try Schaeffers down in Tall Timbers...they have the best stuffed ham around!

F

Flo

Originally posted by jlabsher
If you're new here, this is the scoop (I've been here almost 2 yrs, so I tried the local delicacies too) Stuffed ham is like dry, sour corned beef and the stuffing is salty stovetop style. Nothing special, I wouldn't buy more than a pound to try, and most grocery stores have it.

You want something interesting try scrapple. Coming from good midwest polish/german country I thought I'd tried every pork by-product there was, I was woefully wrong - avoid at all costs unless you love headcheese crossed with braunschweiger.

Growing up as a child in Southern Maryland, we loved scrapple; still do. Living on a farm growing up, we had hogs, cows, chickens, turkeys, and grew most of our vegetables. The taste of the freshness was so completely different than this packaged junk in the stores these days. Ever tried Pigs Feet, Hog Liver (fried), fresh Collard Greens, Kale, and Watercress? If you haven't, you are definitely missing out! :biggrin:

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
I grow collards in the garden every year. Don't understand the local fixation with kale, its all you can find at the farmer's market or roadside stands.

F

Flo

I grow collards in the garden every year. Don't understand the local fixation with kale, its all you can find at the farmer's market or roadside stands.

Kale is delicious, but I always enjoyed Watercress. In fact I have always loved all the (green) vegetables. A Thanksgiving Southern Maryland meal isn't complete without greens and oh, outside of green vegetables, turnips; can't forget that.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Where do you get cress from, other than the store? I always found it in clear running water, none of that within 100 miles of SOMD.

F

Flo

As for Stuffed Ham, though I am a Southern Marylander, I have only tried a couple of times. If prepared correctly, it is delicious.

F

Flo

Where do you get cress from, other than the store? I always found it in clear running water, none of that within 100 miles of SOMD.

We use to get it from my family's farm, near the Patuxent. Been a while though since I have had fresh watercress. Will have to check it out, as I now have a sudden craving. True, Kale is the most popular in Southern Maryland.