Stuffed or Naked?

Agee

Thanksgiving is just around the corner.

What's your preference when it comes to the bird?

Stuff it or let it go commando?

S

SoMDGuy1980

Airgasm said:
Thanksgiving is just around the corner.

What's your preference when it comes to the bird?

Stuff it or let it go commando?
Stuffed with oyster dressing...mmm mmm good!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Artichoke-Parmesan Sourdough Dressing

PREP AND COOK TIME: About 11/2 hours
NOTES: Up to 1 day ahead, make dressing, put in casserole, cover, and chill.
MAKES: About 10 cups; 10 to 12 servings

1 loaf (1 lb.) sourdough bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 pound mushrooms, rinsed
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
2 onions (about 3/4 lb. total), peeled and chopped
1 cup chopped celery
2 tablespoons minced garlic
About 2 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
2 jars (6 oz. each) marinated artichoke hearts, drained
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
11/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
11/2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary leaves or 3/4 teaspoon crumbled dried rosemary
Salt and pepper
1 large egg

1. Spread bread cubes in a single layer in 2 pans, each 10 by 15 inches. Bake in a 350° oven until toasted golden brown, about 25 minutes. Turn cubes over with a wide spatula occasionally. After 15 minutes, switch pan positions.
2. Trim and discard discolored mushroom stem ends. Slice mushrooms.
3. In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over high heat, combine butter, mushrooms, onions, celery, and garlic. Stir often until vegetables are lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Pour into a large bowl. Add a little broth to pan and stir to scrape browned bits free. Add to bowl.
4. Pour 2 cups broth into bowl and add toasted bread, artichoke hearts, cheese, poultry seasoning, and rosemary; mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Make a well in dressing, add egg, beat with a fork to blend, then mix egg with dressing.
5. Spoon into a shallow 3-quart (9- by 13-in.) casserole. For moist dressing, cover with foil; for crusty dressing, do not cover. Bake in a 325° to 350° oven (use temperature turkey requires; see chart, "Turkey") until hot (at least 150° in center) or lightly browned, about 50 minutes (1 hour if chilled).

Agee

RoseRed said:
Artichoke-Parmesan Sourdough Dressing

PREP AND COOK TIME: About 11/2 hours
NOTES: Up to 1 day ahead, make dressing, put in casserole, cover, and chill.
MAKES: About 10 cups; 10 to 12 servings

1 loaf (1 lb.) sourdough bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 pound mushrooms, rinsed
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
2 onions (about 3/4 lb. total), peeled and chopped
1 cup chopped celery
2 tablespoons minced garlic
About 2 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
2 jars (6 oz. each) marinated artichoke hearts, drained
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
11/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
11/2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary leaves or 3/4 teaspoon crumbled dried rosemary
Salt and pepper
1 large egg

1. Spread bread cubes in a single layer in 2 pans, each 10 by 15 inches. Bake in a 350° oven until toasted golden brown, about 25 minutes. Turn cubes over with a wide spatula occasionally. After 15 minutes, switch pan positions.
2. Trim and discard discolored mushroom stem ends. Slice mushrooms.
3. In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over high heat, combine butter, mushrooms, onions, celery, and garlic. Stir often until vegetables are lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Pour into a large bowl. Add a little broth to pan and stir to scrape browned bits free. Add to bowl.
4. Pour 2 cups broth into bowl and add toasted bread, artichoke hearts, cheese, poultry seasoning, and rosemary; mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Make a well in dressing, add egg, beat with a fork to blend, then mix egg with dressing.
5. Spoon into a shallow 3-quart (9- by 13-in.) casserole. For moist dressing, cover with foil; for crusty dressing, do not cover. Bake in a 325° to 350° oven (use temperature turkey requires; see chart, "Turkey") until hot (at least 150° in center) or lightly browned, about 50 minutes (1 hour if chilled).

:cheers:

Looks great, thanks for the new stuffing idea!

Agee

Jameo said:
Nekkid and deep fried :yum:

Danzig said:
Nekkid, Injected, and then Deep Fried

:yay: :yay: Tasty and cooks in a quarter of the time.

Heard recently that some consumer advocate group is advising people to stay away from this method. Recent accidents with the hot oil.

BTE

Extra Ordinary
Danzig said:
Nekkid, Injected, and then Deep Fried
:yeahthat: It's very yummy! :yum: Last year we did two turkeys...one with a garlic butter injection and the other with a cajun. Not sure what hubby has up his sleeve this year.

It also cooks faster AND keeps the oven free for all of the other stuff that needs to be baked!

watercolor

yeah yeah
I would rather not have the stuffing in the bird. Because no matter how much I want to cook it- I think because of the moisture content I am leary of the bacteria still there.

I usually put apples(granny smith- tart the better), onions, and dried cranberries (craisns) in there and let that sucker go. I rub the turkey down with lemon butter on the outside and lift the skin a little and do it put some of the lemon butter in that. The apples keep the turkey moist.. and its pretty good that way.

Although, that was last year. I dont eat meat anymore :twitch: LOL

Agee

watercolor said:
Although, that was last year. I dont eat meat anymore :twitch: LOL

Tofu Turkey for you this year? You won't have to worry about under or over cooking.

I assume that you are on the vegetarian trail? How's it going?

watercolor

yeah yeah
Airgasm said:
Tofu Turkey for you this year? You won't have to worry about under or over cooking.

I assume that you are on the vegetarian trail? How's it going?

No.. just will eat the other stuff than the turkey. and yes, the veggie trail and its going good. I went off for about 2 1/2 weeks.. but I was so sleepy when I ate meat I was like not going to sit there and just be dead to the world.. so I went back veggie.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The thought of eating something that has been pulled out of a turkey carcass makes me barf. My mother used to give me nightmares shoveling that crap out of the turkey butt. :twitch:

Nekkid for me, please.

watercolor

yeah yeah
vraiblonde said:
The thought of eating something that has been pulled out of a turkey carcass makes me barf. My mother used to give me nightmares shoveling that crap out of the turkey butt. :twitch:

Nekkid for me, please.

*smirk* yeah.. pretty revolting. LOL! And you are just a streaker at heart- so we know that you would want anything nekkid. :really:

mixallagist

Be careful what u wish 4
vraiblonde said:

Nekkid for me, please.

:yeahthat: