stupid rule

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
The Chicago Bears were one of six NFL teams that reportedly voted against the new rule moving kickoffs to the 35-yard line of the team doing the kicking. The rule, which moves the ball up from the 30-yard line and should cause more touchbacks and fewer exciting returns, was implemented by the league's Competition Committee at the owners meetings in March as a move to improve player safety.

In their Saturday preseason opener against the Buffalo Bills at Chicago's Soldier Field, the Bears refused to accept the new rule, and instead lined their first two kickoffs up at their 30, as had been in the past. Apparently, the officials on site didn't catch it, because no penalties were called and it took a call from Vice President of Officiating Carl Johnson to "put a stop to it" Bears refuse to bend to new kickoff rule, told by league to stop mid-game - Shutdown Corner - NFL#Blog - Yahoo! Sports
What's to stop Chicago from taking an offsides penalty prior to every kickoff and negating this?

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
What's to stop Chicago from taking an offsides penalty prior to every kickoff and negating this?

This is all the Bears wanted;

we can put it on the 35 and he can kick it out each time,'' Smith said. ''We're not really getting a good evaluation of what we can do coverage-wise on some of our players. That's what we were trying to do with it.''

They will have no interest in kicking from the 30 once preseason is over.

Further;

In the first preseason week alone, according to Paul Domowitch of Philly.com, 43 of 127 kickoffs, or 33.8 percent, were touchbacks. Throughout the 2010 season, the touchback rate was 16.4 percent.

It doesn't take a math major to understand the effect on the game, and why the Bears want to go rogue on this rule. Will they continue to do so, and what might the penalties be?

The rule will get changed before week one, I think. :buddies:

itsbob

I bowl overhand

They wouldn't be offsides if they are kicking off from the 30 instead of the 35 would they?

You'd think the NFL would want just the opposite (the reason for moving it the 30 in the first place) Having someone running back the ball after a kick off is one of the more exciting parts of the game, much more exciting than watching player after player taking a knee in the end-zone.

dave1959

This is the first I heard of it... But my first thought was..If we are going to do it this way why not just eliminate the kickoff all together and have everyone just starts at the 20. Why would we kick the ball and have everyone do a 60 yard sprint for nothing ??

Larry Gude

Strung Out
This is the first I heard of it... But my first thought was..If we are going to do it this way why not just eliminate the kickoff all together and have everyone just starts at the 20. Why would we kick the ball and have everyone do a 60 yard sprint for nothing ??

Exactly. I mean, the whole premise is absurd; a player reaches max speed in 10 yards or so, easy, so, the idea that five less yards over, what, 40-50 yards before the heavy collisions start is, while well intentioned, misses the mark so bad as to be pointless.

:buddies:

Rael

Supper's Ready
I hope they change it back also, lest this game will eventually evolve into flag football.

Baz

This. ------------------>
//

The rule will get changed before week one, I think.

I wouldn't bet on that, especially as 26 owners voted in favor of the change. Especially due to the purpose of the rule change being player safety. Fan reaction hasn't reversed any of the other safety related rule changes, at least that I can think of.

While I don't like the change, it won't make a huge difference in my enjoyment of the games. So many returns get called back due to a hold or block in the back, anyways.

dave1959

I wouldn't bet on that, especially as 26 owners voted in favor of the change. Especially due to the purpose of the rule change being player safety. Fan reaction hasn't reversed any of the other safety related rule changes, at least that I can think of.

While I don't like the change, it won't make a huge difference in my enjoyment of the games. So many returns get called back due to a hold or block in the back, anyways.

The ultimate way of making them safer....Don't let them play...

PsyOps

Pixelated
At least they changed the head contact rules some. They are allowing some lighter incidental contact rather than penalizing every little graze of the helmet with some finger tips.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

We are talking a whole other level of fan reaction than quibbling about instant replay or celebration rules. When the NFL has sold out stadiums full of people booing loudly after yet another kick off through the end zone, that won't be a pretty picture. And, there isn't a reason in the world for the kicking team to risk a return if they can guarantee their defense starts off at the other teams 20. Add to that the penalties for an out of bounds kick off and add to that the likely results of a kicker trying to NOT kick it through the end zone when he easily can; flub!

I say they change it.

:duel:

UNA

Wirelessly posted

Merlin99 said:
The Chicago Bears were one of six NFL teams that reportedly voted against the new rule moving kickoffs to the 35-yard line of the team doing the kicking. The rule, which moves the ball up from the 30-yard line and should cause more touchbacks and fewer exciting returns, was implemented by the league's Competition Committee at the owners meetings in March as a move to improve player safety.

In their Saturday preseason opener against the Buffalo Bills at Chicago's Soldier Field, the Bears refused to accept the new rule, and instead lined their first two kickoffs up at their 30, as had been in the past. Apparently, the officials on site didn't catch it, because no penalties were called and it took a call from Vice President of Officiating Carl Johnson to "put a stop to it" Bears refuse to bend to new kickoff rule, told by league to stop mid-game - Shutdown Corner - NFL#Blog - Yahoo! Sports

Not a damn thing. :yay:

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
From what I have noticed... Players are bringing it out it if they are within the letters in the endzone.. (normally, within 7 yards).. If they are on the back side (7 1/2-9 yrds) deep, they take a knee..

These young guys trying to make it as a returner, or they are 3rd/4th string WR/RB are bringing it out, and so far, they are making it past the 20 more often than not.

Rael

Supper's Ready
From what I have noticed... Players are bringing it out it if they are within the letters in the endzone.. (normally, within 7 yards).. If they are on the back side (7 1/2-9 yrds) deep, they take a knee..

These young guys trying to make it as a returner, or they are 3rd/4th string WR/RB are bringing it out, and so far, they are making it past the 20 more often than not.

I don't think there'll be too much negative impact from this, though I don't agree with them doing this. But I do remember it being from the 40 yard line as a kid, so it's not as bad as it could be. Just my thoughts and oinion.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Teams will adapt. If they are playing a good return team, they will kick away; if not, a good kick off guy can kick it high and short(inside the 5) and hope that they pin em back inside the 20.