Style Hard

Auntie Biache'

So, I've been watching a lot of fashion video, and as you all know, "fashion" is subjective. I thought I'd make a tread to share some of the things I'm coming across on YT, starting with this video. While it's obvious that this gal ain't the sharpest tool in the shed, she's witty.

So, do you have a fashion style? I've gone a very long time not updating my wardrobe, only adding things I like as I see them, and not planning. Now, I think I've nailed down my personal style, and chosen some key colors. I've weeded out my closet, brought some clothes out of storage that will fit again. I'm trying to establish a wardrobe that will work for me, instead of getting worked over by the industry. Of course, all of this is cool weather stuff. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do for a summer wardrobe. Short suits, an '80's throwback, seems to be the summer standard this year. Only this time around the "shorts" are hot pants or bermuda shorts. I liked the '80's short suits, but I just don't see myself in either of these. Hot pants will be too short, and bermuda shorts will be too long, because they're made for Amazon women.

Anyway, here's what this gal has to say about some of the things that are trending. I enjoyed watching her, more than most...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYMO2HjOl-0tvMFSEGjNTiA

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I am not into fashion at all and never have been. I wear either t-shirts, sweaters, or sweatshirts and jeans. I wear a uniform M-F and only dress up slightly for church which consists of black jeans instead of blue jeans and a decent shirt or sweater.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I also have no interest in fashion. I throw on shorts and a shirt, my biggest wardrobe decision is whether to wear sandals or Sketchers. But I appreciate well-dressed people and admire their style, so rock on. :yay:

Auntie Biache'

If I had the luxury of not working in an office, I'd have fewer clothes. I'd still have a few things for dinner nights and events, but I'd be a jeans, tshirts, and flip flops gal.

I'm not high fashion, by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm learning how to make my closet work for me. This is something I've never done before. I've always been "ooh, I like that" and buy it. Now I'm trying to be more conscientious and think about how something will work with everything else in my closet.

I've been going "old school" in my closet. Slacks, jeans and blazers. I have a few silk skirts that will work well with the blazers. Affordable, because I don't have to keep buying stuff.

Also, losing weight means dragging out old things and making them work again, and adding to those things without spending the national debt, or buying stuff that you won't wear in a year.

Vrai, I think your lifestyle and fashion suit you. It always has. You can roll out of bed and go to work in your jammies.

You're on the road all the time, and you have limited space. So, your wardrobe has to work for you, too.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I keep my style fairly basic. Typically I'm in skinny jeans or preferably ankle jeans - will vary in basic colors like black and navy and maybe red for work since I can't wear jeans there but have a job that requires a more casual wardrobe - paired with either a flowy blouse or a tight knit-top covered by a long cardigan. I loveeee my long cardigans. I'll add various jewelry to fancy it up some days, or shoes. Typically my shoes are either sandals, canvas shoes, or wedges. I'm not a huge fan of prints, if I have any they're subtle, or in something smaller like a scarf, and bright colors are rare.

I desperately need to toss about 3/4 of my current closet. Realistically even if I lose the weight I want, I'll just want to celebrate with new clothes anyways instead of stuff that's not even my style anymore.

I love fashion, but over the years it just hasn't been my priority. I was spending way too much on clothing when I was younger. However I still follow a few stylish people (usually on Pinterest) and I mostly enjoy fashion for the art of it now. I love watching Project Runway... I'd never wear 98% of that stuff, but the creativity and the process of the art gets me.

Auntie Biache'

I keep my style fairly basic. Typically I'm in skinny jeans or preferably ankle jeans - will vary in basic colors like black and navy and maybe red for work since I can't wear jeans there but have a job that requires a more casual wardrobe - paired with either a flowy blouse or a tight knit-top covered by a long cardigan. I loveeee my long cardigans. I'll add various jewelry to fancy it up some days, or shoes. Typically my shoes are either sandals, canvas shoes, or wedges. I'm not a huge fan of prints, if I have any they're subtle, or in something smaller like a scarf, and bright colors are rare.

I desperately need to toss about 3/4 of my current closet. Realistically even if I lose the weight I want, I'll just want to celebrate with new clothes anyways instead of stuff that's not even my style anymore.

I love fashion, but over the years it just hasn't been my priority. I was spending way too much on clothing when I was younger. However I still follow a few stylish people (usually on Pinterest) and I mostly enjoy fashion for the art of it now. I love watching Project Runway... I'd never wear 98% of that stuff, but the creativity and the process of the art gets me.

And this is what I think real fashion is about. Not what's on the runway, or what's selling like hot cakes, but finding your personal style and making it fit into the current fashion trends without overspending, or buying something just because it's trending. Back in the day I was a jeans and blazer gal. Somehow, I moved away from that. I didn't even notice, it just kind of happened. That's a style that suits me, and I'm working my way back to it. Shooting for classics with a touch of what's trending, like maybe a combat boot. I think womens combat boots are the best thing that has happened to fashion since fashion became a thing.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
As a side, how 'bout those 10 lb eye lashes that have 6 months of adhesive built up in them?
I REALLY cannot understand this trend. I've been blessed with decent lashes, but I don't even think I bothered with falsies on my wedding day even when they were offered. It just looks ridiculous on anyone that's not the subject of a photoshoot or something.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Vrai, I think your lifestyle and fashion suit you. It always has. You can roll out of bed and go to work in your jammies.

You're on the road all the time, and you have limited space. So, your wardrobe has to work for you, too.

When I worked at Ch 10 and had to get dressed, I had an excellent wardrobe but I never followed the fashion trends because I could never pull it off. I went with a more boho Annie Hall look and stuck with it. To this day on the rare occasion I have to dress for something, that's my fallback. Men's clothing looks great on me - feminine clothing not so much.

Auntie Biache'

I REALLY cannot understand this trend. I've been blessed with decent lashes, but I don't even think I bothered with falsies on my wedding day even when they were offered. It just looks ridiculous on anyone that's not the subject of a photoshoot or something.
I can understand false eyelashes, because I don't have any of my own. I have a drawer full of the wispiest, lightest lashes I could find, but I haven't worn them. Once I get around to it, I won't wear them multiple times. I don't think they're supposed to be for every day, and I especially don't think the cashier at WalMart wearing her 10lb lashes with that nasty adhesive buildup is doing herself any favors.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I've been wanting to add some cute clogs to my wardrobe. They're a bit of an investment for me, at least for the good ones, so I keep putting it off, also I can't decide on which one I want, but I really think they'd fit seamlessly into my style. Like I said my job requires me to dress comfortably, but still kind of dressy. I think these would help add a little more style in shoewear to my fairly basic every day silhouettes of ankle jeans and cardigans :lol:

something like these.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
No fashionista here, but I did find a pair of jeans at Old Navy that fir really well. I bought 5 pairs in different colors that I match up with various sweaters or tops and boots. Summer is usually dresses and flats.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
No fashionista here, but I did find a pair of jeans at Old Navy that fir really well. I bought 5 pairs in different colors that I match up with various sweaters or tops and boots. Summer is usually dresses and flats.
Maybe that is what I need to do. Get jeans in different colors. That way, I look more put together without trying too hard.

Auntie Biache'

I've been wanting to add some cute clogs to my wardrobe. They're a bit of an investment for me, at least for the good ones, so I keep putting it off, also I can't decide on which one I want, but I really think they'd fit seamlessly into my style. Like I said my job requires me to dress comfortably, but still kind of dressy. I think these would help add a little more style in shoewear to my fairly basic every day silhouettes of ankle jeans and cardigans :lol:

something like these.

View attachment 144767

View attachment 144768

Those are cute. I'd wear them.

Auntie Biache'

I need jeans, but I'm having a hard time finding any new ones that I like. They fit, but look terrible. I'm trying to find jeans with just a little stretch, so they don't cling to me.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
When I worked at Ch 10 and had to get dressed, I had an excellent wardrobe but I never followed the fashion trends because I could never pull it off. I went with a more boho Annie Hall look and stuck with it. To this day on the rare occasion I have to dress for something, that's my fallback. Men's clothing looks great on me - feminine clothing not so much.
When I worked in a building with an admiral on another base, we were required to dress up every day. Business dress. I was fresh outta college, underpaid, and very broke. I'm also short and curvy and found that wrap dresses and one-piece dresses wear easier to find, and cheaper especially in places like Burlington Coat Facotory or Ross. I was in walmart-brand spanx and a wrap dress just about every day there. I looked fabulous but I'm so very glad I don't have to dress like that now :lol:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I need jeans, but I'm having a hard time finding any new ones that I like. They fit, but look terrible. I'm trying to find jeans with just a little stretch, so they don't cling to me.
Try Old Navy. They can be hit or miss. Mine was a hit, especially with the after Christmas sales.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
That day I walked out with 5 jeans, one dress and a sweater for $85.00. Score! :yay:
Old Navy jeans/pants stretch out for me after a couple months, but they're usually so cheap that it's not that big a deal to just go buy another pair. They have so many great cuts and colors/washes and lengths, usually anybody can find one style they love.