Successful Without College

black dog

Free America
Fire stops do you mean blocks of wood in between the 2x4 walls?
Not only their but with any clear chase/openings between floors and walls.
Lots of buildings will have block or concrete walls separating townhouses, condos, apartments ... Ect
... As firestops. Lets not forget where fire suppression is code.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Let's see , building a new home. A regular home, not a McMansion.

$50 to $100 Thousand for a building lot with a perk
$1,000 for a surveyor.
$4800 dollars for the impact fee.
$6,000 for a well
$20,000 for the mound ---may be more.
$10,000 for sprinklers.
$150,000 for materials.
@20,000 for the contractor.
$2,000 dollars for the surveyor to plot everything out for the health department.
Did I miss anything?
Well in Calvert, there is a $12,950 impact fee for a single family home. And for apartments, it's $7,750 per unit. So that means that 'ole Johnny Gott is gonna have to pony up $1,984,000 for his 256 unit, (Section 8, "workforce housing"), apartment complex on 26 acres, he wants to build in Lusby, which will be next to his gas station.

stgislander

PREMO Member
If I may ...

Well in Calvert, there is a $12,950 impact fee for a single family home. And for apartments, it's $7,750 per unit. So that means that 'ole Johnny Gott is gonna have to pony up $1,984,000 for his 256 unit, (Section 8, "workforce housing"), apartment complex on 26 acres, he wants to build in Lusby, which will be next to his gas station.
Is there a Sheriff's Dept sub-station in the south county?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Is there a Sheriff's Dept sub-station in the south county?
Well there is the very rarely, (except for July 4th and other big events), unused space above the public toilet building on Solomons Island. But that's about it. Other than that? Nope.

black dog

Free America
If I may ...

I would bet they granted Johnny no impact fees and a 10-20 year tax free on the apts.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I would bet they granted Johnny no impact fees and a 10-20 year tax free on the apts.
I hope not. It's not like he equal to Dominion Energy, (Cove Point LNG), or anything. Heck, he isn't even up there with County's good 'ol boy home builders club. Though he, and a $$$$$ partner, had the Food Lion, now Wiess, Shopping Center Strip Mall built. Leaving behind what has become known as Mount Lusby for us to remember his contribution to the neighborhood, aside from his run down gas station of course.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I never got a degree and I made a fairly decent living as an IT contractor. I could've done more with a degree, but I hate school. If a company had a special requirement, they sent me for technical training on the subject matter. Things were different back then.

PeoplesElbow

Back to original subject.
I do not have a degree and I have done very well for myself and family.
I've always thought the opportunity near military installations for those without college were much greater than areas without military installations. I suppose it could be a large number of federal gvt jobs.

The area I grew up in doesn't have many opportunities for someone without a degree or some sort of specialized training.there are some opportunities but not a lot like there are here.

UglyBear

Re: argument about lawyer vs. trades.
In my generation of mid- to late-30s, a lot of kids graduated from college right when the Great Recession started, and to wait it out, went to law school. Several of my friends and relatives did that.

The result is a glut of lawyers, many of whom are barely able to scratch out a living, all the while being saddled with college + law school debt.

And even for good lawyers, the road to big money is in starting your own firm or joining one as a partner, no different than for a tradesmen striking it out on their own and starting a company. So kinda comparable, minus the debt.