Suggestions Wanted: Youth Bows (Not Toys)

somdshootnet

I am once again considering making my rights as an uncle useful with my ability to supply my 12 year old nephew with his first real compound bow for the purpose of future deer hunting ventures. I want a "real" compound bow, not some silly little kids toy made of plastic or has cams mounted on cheap metal brackets. I need the following ball park specs:

24" draw length
30-40 pound draw weight

He's a 12 year old boy with little wet noodle muskles, so I want to work him good to build those little bird eggs, but, I don't wanna wear him so thin to the point he don't want to shoot and loses interest.

I know enough about adult bows, but, the yoot models, I'm completely lost as to quality. I need help on this one. I have researched, Bear, PSE, Diamond, Matthews, and a few other higher brand names, but, I don't know anything about them. Any input I can get will help me and I would greatly appreciate the comments and feedback. I hope to find some actual kids who bow hunt, who have a quality youth bow, and with any luck, I'll cross paths with someone who has something for sale.

Thanks,
SOMDSHOOTER

limblips

PREMO Member
Yoot? Did you say yoot? What's a yoot? Seriously the guys behind the archery counter at bass pro are very knowledgeabel. What you will find, I believe, is that any youth model from the names you mentioned will fit your needs well. And thank you for bringing a youngster in to our sport. We need the young to ensure our hunting future.

EASTERBUNNY77

I am once again considering making my rights as an uncle useful with my ability to supply my 12 year old nephew with his first real compound bow for the purpose of future deer hunting ventures. I want a "real" compound bow, not some silly little kids toy made of plastic or has cams mounted on cheap metal brackets. I need the following ball park specs:

24" draw length
30-40 pound draw weight

He's a 12 year old boy with little wet noodle muskles, so I want to work him good to build those little bird eggs, but, I don't wanna wear him so thin to the point he don't want to shoot and loses interest.

I know enough about adult bows, but, the yoot models, I'm completely lost as to quality. I need help on this one. I have researched, Bear, PSE, Diamond, Matthews, and a few other higher brand names, but, I don't know anything about them. Any input I can get will help me and I would greatly appreciate the comments and feedback. I hope to find some actual kids who bow hunt, who have a quality youth bow, and with any luck, I'll cross paths with someone who has something for sale.

Thanks,
SOMDSHOOTER

We went to the Bass Proshop out in VA (near Richmond) and took our 12 y/o son, they let him try a few out to see what would be a good fit for him, and what weight he could pull, etc. We went with a Bear youth model, can't remember exactly which one though. It was a little pricy but he can use it for years and most importantly he feels comfortable shooting it. Hope this helped:)

somdshootnet

We went to the Bass Proshop out in VA (near Richmond) and took our 12 y/o son, they let him try a few out to see what would be a good fit for him, and what weight he could pull, etc. We went with a Bear youth model, can't remember exactly which one though. It was a little pricy but he can use it for years and most importantly he feels comfortable shooting it. Hope this helped:)

I'm sort of leaning towards a Parker at this point. I like the incentive program they have for the youth models, you can trade up as you grow, but, I'm amazed at the prices of the youth compounds, they cost almost the same as a full size adult bow, WOW. Maybe I can come up with a good used bow somewhere.