Suggestions?

NOTSMC

I'm going to an evening wedding in early June at a fancy pants country club in Virginia. I'm fairly well prepared, dress, shoes, hair...all the girly stuff bases covered except lipstick. I LOATHE lipstick. I hate nearly everything on my lips, even chap stick grosses me out but I've been told by my boyfriend no less, that it looks like something is missing when I'm all dressed up. Like just a little unfinished is how he described it. Not a deal breaker, I know he'd be fine with me if I ignored him completely BUT he's kinda right.

So I've been researching. Seems like there's all kind of stuff on the market that is not shiny, slick looking, slippery looking, or greasy looking but at the price I don't want to keep buying until I hit the right thing that looks more natural then the other stuff. Not into bright colors, pinks light pinks. In fact if they had something called plain old ordinary lip color that's what would probably be appealing to me.

Lots of girly girls and girly guys on the forum. Any suggestions.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I have no suggestions, only offering comfort in the fact I too have the same issue :lol: I can handle almost everything...except lip wear. I have a light pink gloss that's also a little bit of a lip plumper I might dab on for special occasions...or a tinted lip moisturizer. But I know I could do better. I just always feel like I'm wearing a costume when I try to wear anything more than simple gloss.

I've yet to work up the courage to ask one of the Ulta employees too. I still have PTSD when I tried to ask for lip and eyeshadow help at Sephora many years ago and I walked out with basically clown make up on.

NOTSMC

I have no suggestions, only offering comfort in the fact I too have the same issue :lol: I can handle almost everything...except lip wear. I have a light pink gloss that's also a little bit of a lip plumper I might dab on for special occasions...or a tinted lip moisturizer. But I know I could do better. I just always feel like I'm wearing a costume when I try to wear anything more than simple gloss.

I've yet to work up the courage to ask one of the Ulta employees too. I still have PTSD when I tried to ask for lip and eyeshadow help at Sephora many years ago and I walked out with basically clown make up on.
Well that made me LOL. We should start a support group.

My PTSD is so bad that I actually have to get a grip before I pick up a glass with a lipstick rim left on it actually get the dry heaves from it.

Ulta might me a good choice to start looking. Don't know if I'd have the courage to have a makeover I guess, nor the money to commit to buying their products, but lip stuff is a small step.

l've read a lot of stuff about nude lip pencil or pen or magic marker, something like that but none of them are nude looking.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Well that made me LOL. We should start a support group.

My PTSD is so bad that I actually have to get a grip before I pick up a glass with a lipstick rim left on it actually get the dry heaves from it.

Ulta might me a good choice to start looking. Don't know if I'd have the courage to have a makeover I guess, nor the money to commit to buying their products, but lip stuff is a small step.

l've read a lot of stuff about nude lip pencil or pen or magic marker, something like that but none of them are nude looking.
I think that's what trips me...lipstick (usually) requires some lip liner. I don't think I line them correctly, and then any traditional lipstick I've tried makes it very obvious I have dry lips? Anything glossy feels like I've licked it off within an hour and now I need to reapply. This is when I give up, toss it back in the drawer, and reach for my chapstick.

I shouldn't be scared of our Ulta, I've yet to meet an employee there that wasn't super helpful. But lip wear has taken a back seat as I've spent many visits perfecting my skin care and curly hair routines. I'm on a budget too, so I research the hell outta it all before committing. Maybe now I can finally focus on it.

NOTSMC

I think that's what trips me...lipstick (usually) requires some lip liner. I don't think I line them correctly, and then any traditional lipstick I've tried makes it very obvious I have dry lips? Anything glossy feels like I've licked it off within an hour and now I need to reapply. This is when I give up, toss it back in the drawer, and reach for my chapstick.

I shouldn't be scared of our Ulta, I've yet to meet an employee there that wasn't super helpful. But lip wear has taken a back seat as I've spent many visits perfecting my skin care and curly hair routines. I'm on a budget too, so I research the hell outta it all before committing. Maybe now I can finally focus on it.
Ulta employees are pretty decent - I just need someone I feel comfortable with and I'm not so comfortable with gay men and makeup and girls with drawings all over their face. I need what I consider to be normal. (Yeah I'm old)

I didn't know they went to training classes for their merchandise. The older woman that works there recommended some curly hair stuff called Curlsmith. Said she had taken a class for it, with demonstrations, said it was good stuff. It wasn't, but at least I didn't buy the big bottle she recommended. Ten dollar mistake vice a $26.00.

NOTSMC

Speaking of, we had a gym teacher

back in the 70's who used to wear white lipstick. She was the softball coach.
Our gym teacher was named Sandra Johnson. She had big blonde hair with a bow in it. Never saw her without a bow in hair - she's stick it right in the teased poof in the front of her hair. She wore it flipped out. I called her flippety do dah behind her back.

mitzi

Yardley of London. That's where that trend started with Twiggy and Jean Shrimpton if I recall correctly. I couldn't stand lipstick then either.

Yes! I remember. I don't like lipstick either and never found a shade that suited me. I always only used a clear lip gloss.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
JMHO, but women that wear bright red lipstick always looked kind of clownish to me. Especially against a pale complexion. Good luck in your search for a happy median.