Sulphur smell in well water

Tori39

Noticing a sulphur smell in our water...both hot and cold. Just bought our house earlier this month. Anyone know a good well contractor or treatment for this kind of situation? I'd really like to get rid of the smell. Water tastes fine just has an odor.

GopherM

Darwin was right
I grew up in the south and many of the homes that were on well water had sulfur water. Unless you spent a lot of money on a treatment system, that is what you lived with. Other than the smell it will eventually leave a black stain on your white plumbing fixtures.

somdfunguy

not impressed
Noticing a sulphur smell in our water...both hot and cold. Just bought our house earlier this month. Anyone know a good well contractor or treatment for this kind of situation? I'd really like to get rid of the smell. Water tastes fine just has an odor.

try to light it on fire and see if it burns

RPMDAD

Tori, do you have any kind of water filter in your house???? Also county location might help, i am in huntingtown Calvert Co. no problems here no filters or softener systems.

luvscats

every once in a while our water smells. unscrew the cap to your well pipe and pour a little bleach down it, maybe half a cup. that's what we do.

DEEKAYPEE8569

You need to install a filter in the line between the pump and your cold water tank.
One of these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=in-...ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMItt_LvZaDxwIVCdGACh1Ilwc3

Of course, you have to find an application that fits within the available space.

Tori39

Tori, do you have any kind of water filter in your house???? Also county location might help, i am in huntingtown Calvert Co. no problems here no filters or softener systems.

We're in Charles a County.....Bryans Road. I'll have to have someone come look at it. I'd like to have it cleaned since I don't know when or if it has ever been cleaned.

nutz

:eyebrow:

All the water in our compound comes from the same well. From some faucets in some buildings the smell of sulphur is often quite noticeable. In others...never. Weird.

Do they share a hot water heater too? It may be the anode in there needs to be changed

Misfit

Lawful neutral
http://www.khou.com/story/news/loca...orms-coming-out-of-faucets-in-water/30859551/

Be thankful you're not in Houston. :yay:

HOUSTON - If there's one thing that can get a whole neighborhood in the street in 100 degree heat, it's this: "That's worms! That is so worms!" said neighbor Tammy Early. "That's just gross. Oh my God, I'm freaking out right now."

"This water was coming out of the bathroom faucet," said Miles, holding up a bottle of water with several worms floating inside.

About 30 neighbors in the Woodland Acres subdivision of Old River-Winfree came out to the water facility Wednesday afternoon with their own samples to show. They all said the worms are flowing out with their tap water.

"There's these red ones, there's these black ones, almost look like tad poles," said Andrea Devault. "Which is the grossest?" asked KHOU 11 News Reporter Alice Barr. Devault answered, "All of them. I do not like bugs in my water."

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Do they share a hot water heater too? It may be the anode in there needs to be changed

One water source..multiple hot water heaters (4). Interesting suggestion...hadn't thought of that. I never heard of a connection between a "sulfur" smell and the galvanic protection..or lack of.

Chris0nllyn

One water source..multiple hot water heaters (4). Interesting suggestion...hadn't thought of that. I never heard of a connection between a "sulfur" smell and the galvanic protection..or lack of.

The anode rods essentially turn the sulphates into hydrogen sulphide (the rotten egg smell).

SamSpade

I've never known of someone with well water in this area that DOESN'T have that problem.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The anode rods essentially turn the sulphates into hydrogen sulphide (the rotten egg smell).

Now that makes some sense, at least...because the smell is most evident where the water heaters are new/newer and non-existent from the 30-year-old one on the cottage/tiki bar, for example.

It's not so bad that I ever felt compelled to do anything about it.

bcp

In My Opinion
It was mentioned that the smell was both in hot and cold. anode would only affect the hot side of things.
its iron sulfide that he is smelling. bleach the well and cure it for a short time while adding tons of chlorine to the house, or add a charcoal filter and end up changing it every couple of months or add a chemical injection tank and slowly add sodium hypochlorite and get rid of it safely.
you can also use that same tank and injection system to adjust the PH of the house water. 2 pints sodium hypoclorite mixed with 35 gallons of water will last the average house 4 to 6 months before you have to refill the tank.
bleaches like Clorox have additives that make them unsuitable for drinking water, bleach made for the well is too strong, minimum of 60%.
Check with a local water conditioning company for a quote. should be 1300.00 or less installed and should last the life of the house depending on the type of injection pump, mixing chamber and meter they install.
if handy with simple plumbing you can also PM me and I can quote you a materials only price.