Summer Job

luvmygdaughters

Granddaughter # 2 is 15 and looking for a summer job. She worked at the water park in Chesapeake Beach last year. They have since, bought a home in Lusby. She would like something in retail, but not fast food. I'm not very familiar with the Lusby area, do any other forumites have kids that work summer jobs in that area? Can you recommend a couple of places? Thanks in advance.

BernieP

Resident PIA
15 is young for retail. Probably would have better luck getting hired in food service.

I was going to say, I think the day is long gone where you can work retail under 18 (liability / insurance).
Fast food / food service
Pools do hire, but typically you need Red Cross certification
Unfortunately jobs that were available 40 years ago now require certifications and/or the age has been raised - all because of liabilty and insurance

How about a dog walker? I know there are several local businesses that advertise the service and I bet they are looking for people
Or a kennel, maybe a vet, as just general help. Not the cleanest of jobs, but if you like animals, dogs.

transporter

Unfortunately jobs that were available 40 years ago now require certifications and/or the age has been raised - all because of liabilty and insurance

No, many of the jobs that were available 40 years ago no longer exist because the majority of Americans are too lazy to go to the store and now buy all their sh!t online....OR they have to keep up with the Jones, so instead of hiring the neighborhood kid to mow their grass, they hire a landscaping company.

luvmygdaughters

No, many of the jobs that were available 40 years ago no longer exist because the majority of Americans are too lazy to go to the store and now buy all their sh!t online....OR they have to keep up with the Jones, so instead of hiring the neighborhood kid to mow their grass, they hire a landscaping company.
Ummm...excuse me, but, if you have nothing helpful to post, than please...and dont take this the wrong way, but...PHUCK OFF!!

luvmygdaughters

Years ago, I hired a friend's daughter that was 14 or 15. She had to have working papers and the starting wage was much lower than minimum. I don't think they need working papers at 16.

Would you know of any kennels in the area that may be hiring summer help? She loves dogs and animals in general. She is actually considering becoming a vet.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Interlude is a great kennel in St Leonard. She should try there.
Is this the grand daughter that helped bathe your new grand pup?

We used Interlude for the 20 years we lived in Calvert. They are awesome. I am sure they would appreciate your shout out. :)

BOP

Barry Obama, is that you?