Sun Conure!!

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
Burd rescue nutties?

I did look at rescues but they tend to be just as much cost wise. If I end up paying the normal price, I'd at least like one with feathers that doesn't want to bite your face off......We've had a rescued Congo for about 10 years now and she is a real witch to all but her chosen one.:ohwell:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I just sold my Sun with a 4ft wrought iron cage (cage alone was worth $500) for $300 for the whole set up...sorry

Onnya

Sun Conure & Green Cheecked Conure

I have two adorable conures that drive my husband crazy. I love them to pieces, but with two young sons and a busy travel schedule, I worry that I'm not giving them enough attention. Please note, that conure's are extremely loud birds and although I'd hoped to keep them in the living room for regular interaction with the family, we've had to move them to an upstairs bedroom due to their noise level. Plus, conures tend to be pretty nippy birds (neither has ever broken skin, but my sons do not appreciate getting their fingers pinched).

My sun conure is very friendly, but tends to focus on her favorite person (right now she's bonded to me, so I think she would do well bonding with another female). She just turned 2 years-old and I've had her since she was about 3 months old. I picked up the green-cheeked conure hoping that the quieter conure would give the sun a good playmate (and maybe quiet her down), but unfortunately, she still calls loudly whenever she hears me. The green cheeked conure is 1 year-old and I've had her since about 3 months as well. Although the green-cheeked conure is less interactive, she will stand on your hand, allows you to hold her, and takes seeds and treats from your fingers or lips.

It will break my heart to see these birds go, but if I know they're going to the right home where they can get more attention, I would be happy. Although I paid $500 for each of the birds, I'd sell both of them with a conure/cockatiel size cage for $125.00.

If you're interested, please send me a PM with your contact information.

W

wopazia

Take my advise!

Hi Southernmdrocks!

Take my advise... owner of a conure and an african grey. DON'T GET A PARROT!!! My conure is going on 15 of his ***35 years***, my ADOPTED african grey is 17 of his 50 years. My conure can be irritatingly LOUD, he can bite for no reason and draw blood. When he got to sexual maturity around 7 years old, he got aggressive, nasty and very aggressive to anyone who wasn't his chosen human favorite. Birds are extremely messy, and need a lot of interaction with the family (Remember they do hang in flocks.) Every month they need to have their nails trimmed, beak trimmed (so it's not razor sharp... in case they bite). My husband and I do the maintenance ourselves, a must for a bird owner. The aviary vet I used to take my birds to charged me $35.00 per parrot per month.

Now don't get me wrong, I have conquered their screaming but it is a daily battle. And my birds can be very sweet, they even take showers with me. But they are adult pets, not kids' pets.

Get the kid a stuffed animal, a lap top, a hamster... something short lived. You'll thank me later... but stay away from parrots! There's a reason that lady will sell them for $125.00.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Hi Southernmdrocks!

Take my advise... owner of a conure and an african grey. DON'T GET A PARROT!!! My conure is going on 15 of his ***35 years***, my ADOPTED african grey is 17 of his 50 years. My conure can be irritatingly LOUD, he can bite for no reason and draw blood. When he got to sexual maturity around 7 years old, he got aggressive, nasty and very aggressive to anyone who wasn't his chosen human favorite. Birds are extremely messy, and need a lot of interaction with the family (Remember they do hang in flocks.) Every month they need to have their nails trimmed, beak trimmed (so it's not razor sharp... in case they bite). My husband and I do the maintenance ourselves, a must for a bird owner. The aviary vet I used to take my birds to charged me $35.00 per parrot per month.

Now don't get me wrong, I have conquered their screaming but it is a daily battle. And my birds can be very sweet, they even take showers with me. But they are adult pets, not kids' pets.

Get the kid a stuffed animal, a lap top, a hamster... something short lived. You'll thank me later... but stay away from parrots! There's a reason that lady will sell them for $125.00.

Very good advice. If the birds are nippy now, and attached to a certain person, it won't improve in a new home. If anything, it will get worse. Once a bird has attached itself to a specific person, they often become depressed and die with a new owner.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
Hi Southernmdrocks!

Ahhh, I wish I would have had your advise 10 years ago when we rescued the biatch grey my hubby just loves!!!! Thanks for the advice, well received!!:yay: