Supreme Court rules 7-2 Trump's taxes may be released to grand jury

Crabcatcher79

The supreme court has issued its decision in one case involving subpoenas for Trump’s financial records.

The justices issued a 7-2 decision that the president’s tax returns and business records may be turned over to a grand jury in New York.

The ruling marks a defeat for Trump, who has pushed for years to hide the documents from the public.

JUSTICE KAVANAUGH: "The Court today unanimously concludes that a President
does not possess absolute immunity from a state criminal subpoena"

Last edited:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
The supreme court has issued its decision in one case involving subpoenas for Trump’s financial records.

The justices issued a 7-2 decision that the president’s tax returns and business records may be turned over to a grand jury in New York.

The ruling marks a defeat for Trump, who has pushed for years to hide the documents from the public.

JUSTICE KAVANAUGH: "The Court today unanimously concludes that a President
does not possess absolute immunity from a state criminal subpoena"

What they've done in essence is say that Presidents after this term are required to turn over the records, but DT isn't going to have to until after the election.

Crabcatcher79

What they've done in essence is say that Presidents after this term are required to turn over the records, but DT isn't going to have to until after the election.

That is absolutely not what they said.

The Supreme Court has delivered a split decision on subpoenas for President Donald Trump’s tax returns and financial records, unanimously rejecting his broadest claims of “absolute” immunity in a New York state criminal investigation, but ruling that lower courts did not do enough to scrutinize congressional subpoenas for similar records.

He amy be able to run out the clock but the Supreme Court did not say he was protected and it only applied to future Presidents nor did they say he won't have to turn them over until after the election.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
He amy be able to run out the clock but the Supreme Court did not say he was protected and it only applied to future Presidents nor did they say he won't have to turn them over until after the election.
It does not matter after his next term the Dems will forget him and start trying to impeach and jail the next Republican President

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

The Supreme Court has delivered a split decision on subpoenas for President Donald Trump’s tax returns and financial records, unanimously rejecting his broadest claims of “absolute” immunity in a New York state criminal investigation, but ruling that lower courts did not do enough to scrutinize congressional subpoenas for similar records.

No they didn't say it, but that's what they did

Rommey

That's not really what they ruled. While it could ultimately end up that the court finds the records need to be turned over, the SCOTUS basically said:
The Court today unanimously concludes that a President does not possess absolute immunity from a state criminal subpoena, but also unanimously agrees that this case should be remanded to the District Court, where the President may raise constitutional and legal objections to the subpoena as appropriate.

So essentially they only ruled that a President doesn't possess absolute immunity, which is the tactic the President's lawyers were trying to prevail on. Since this case was remanded back to the lower court, it will basically start over and the President's lawyers can try what ever legal/constitutional tactics they deem necessary.

Celebrating a bit too soon? The "prize" for the prosecutor is the ultimate release of the records. A defeat for Trump would indicate a victory for the prosecutor. The prosecutor didn't get the "prize" so it's not a victory for them. This ruling is a setback for both sides IMO. Trump needs to defend this again and the prosecutor needs to start their case again.

One thing is for sure...nothing will happen before the end of the year since the courts don't generally work that fast .

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
One thing is for sure...nothing will happen before the end of the year since the courts don't generally work that fast .

Certainly not before Trump leaves office in 2024, and then nobody will care because the whole idea behind all this is to remove Trump from office.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
They've made it easy to move past the election without showing tax records

You've agreed he could in fact make it through this election without showing records and that presidents past this term can't.
No they didn't say it, but that's what they did
self explanatory
Again. Not true. They said Trump as well as all presidents are not above the law and need to respond to subpoenas.
Nice try editorializing though.
except that it won't apply to DT until past this term.

So I said that he's not going to have to show his records until after the next election, you agree and then say I'm wrong. You seem to be confused again.

Crabcatcher79

They've made it easy to move past the election without showing tax records

You've agreed he could in fact make it through this election without showing records and that presidents past this term can't.

self explanatory

except that it won't apply to DT until past this term.

So I said that he's not going to have to show his records until after the next election, you agree and then say I'm wrong. You seem to be confused again.

You said the SCOTUS decided that the law didn’t apply to him only future presidents and that they said he doesn’t have to turn over his records to subpoena.

Neither of which are true.

You are editorializing incorrectly.

DaSDGuy

Time will tell. I'm betting that when the case returns to the lower courts the attorneys change their approach and document different constitution reasons why the info should be withheld. They can tie that up for months. If the lower courts still rule against Trump the new case will be appealed to the SCOTUS. Many more months before a decision is made, again.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
You said the SCOTUS decided that the law didn’t apply to him only future presidents and that they said he doesn’t have to turn over his records to subpoena.

Neither of which are true.

You are editorializing incorrectly.
See I went and quoted all of my responses just so they were right there in front of you and you still got it wrong. In my first post notice I said “in essence” which generally means the central idea. The central idea here is Trump will not have to show his tax returns before the election. The part about not having to turn over his records to subpoena is all you though (feel free to point out where you think I said it).

Crabcatcher79

See I went and quoted all of my responses just so they were right there in front of you and you still got it wrong. In my first post notice I said “in essence” which generally means the central idea. The central idea here is Trump will not have to show his tax returns before the election. The part about not having to turn over his records to subpoena is all you though (feel free to point out where you think I said it).

Stop being a semantic moron.

you said:
What they've done in essence is say that Presidents after this term are required to turn over the records, but DT isn't going to have to until after the election

They made no distinction between Trump and what happens if he gets another term or future presidents.

You made that up in your editorializing

They ruled on the legality of the subpoena and said he was subject to it.

His stalling and attempts to continue to hide his taxes from the authorities and the public were not part of their purview and not mentioned in their ruling. That is conjecture.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Stop being a semantic moron.

you said:
What they've done in essence is say that Presidents after this term are required to turn over the records, but DT isn't going to have to until after the election

They made no distinction between Trump and what happens if he gets another term or future presidents.
Actually I did When I said Presidents after this term are required to show their records and DT being allowed to run out the clock

You made that up in your editorializing

They ruled on the legality of the subpoena and said he was subject to it.
Nobody said different, just when the the effect will be felt

His stalling and attempts to continue to hide his taxes from the authorities and the public were not part of their purview and not mentioned in their ruling. That is conjecture.

Keep fighting it your inability to comprehend is amusing.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
That isn't what they ruled. In this case, Vance, they ruled that the President does not have absolute immunity and that the matter must return to the lower court for continuation of process. That is it. Not that he has to comply with the subpoena or provide anything at this time as the President still has available avenues to contest the subpoenas.