Surgery Day

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Boone and Gracie must be feeling more back to normal. Boone suckled on my shirt and Gracie slept in my lap. I missed that, believe it or not.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
My youngest went with me to pick them up and commented about how run down the outside looked. I told him it was an old farmhouse. Yes they could have fixed the place up a bit but it wasn't that bad.

Both boys seem angry I took them there. Youngest for the appearance and oldest because it was a "low cost" place. He lives by the addige "you get what you paid for".
With all due respect, and no offense, but I really think this is hardly a fair assessment. They are a low-cost clinic and they depend on donations, fundraisers and contributions.
The Calvert Well Pet Clinic is owned and operated by the Patuxent Animal Welfare Society, Inc. (PAWS). PAWS, a 501 (C) 3 charity, was founded in 1996 for the purpose of humane education, pet rescue and adoption of healthy, social pets to suitable families.

Mission: The Calvert Well Pet Clinic was founded to aid the people of Calvert County and adjacent counties with the spaying/neutering and well pet care of their family pets. The goal of the clinic is to make basic pet care affordable for all pets and to reduce the pet overpopulation in the county.

The building is an historic 1939 farm house. I'm sure it does need work, and probably isn't as nice as a veterinarian's clinic or animal hospital. I'm quite sure the prices reflect that, as their stated mission is to make basic pet care affordable. :sshrug:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
With all due respect, and no offense, but I really think this is hardly a fair assessment. They are a low-cost clinic and they depend on donations, fundraisers and contributions.

The building is an historic 1939 farm house. I'm sure it does need work, and probably isn't as nice as a veterinarian's clinic or animal hospital. I'm quite sure the prices reflect that, as their stated mission is to make basic pet care affordable. :sshrug:
I was not the one who made any comment about it. It was my kids. I really didn't care what it looked like as long as my kittens were taken care of.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I was not the one who made any comment about it. It was my kids. I really didn't care what it looked like as long as my kittens were taken care of.
I know, but they really do only provide the bare minimum/no frills type of services, including recovery, etc. Like the carrier cages, and such. That's what they have to do in order to provide the low costs. I've know a few people who either work or volunteer there, and they honestly do care about the work they do and they have the animals' best interests at heart. (I don't know the current people in there today, but have in the past)

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I know, but they really do only provide the bare minimum/no frills type of services, including recovery, etc. Like the carrier cages, and such. That's what they have to do in order to provide the low costs. I've know a few people who either work or volunteer there, and they honestly do care about the work they do and they have the animals' best interests at heart. (I don't know the current people in there today, but have in the past)
I agree. They provide a great service and I am very thankful for the great care they provide for the prices they charge.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I was going to post that Boone and Gracie are back to normal... until Gracie got into the litter box. There were zoomies this morning and Boone did his trademark "sploot". I also saw each of them in separate litter boxes this morning although I did not get up and check what they did. I should have.

About 30 minutes later, Gracie got back into the litter box and had diarrhea. She hasn't had that since the first few days after I got her. Of course, I googled "diarrhea after spay" to see if it is normal. The internet said it was normal but to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't continue.

After seeing that, I got up to see what else was in the litter box fron earlier. I scooped before going to bed around 10-11 pm so not sure if what I found is from when I heard them this morning or from during the night. Each box had solid stool in it. I checked the one in the box I saw Gracie use and it was not hard so I believe it was fresh and might be from earlier. If that is the case, I won't worry so much about the random diarrhea.

They ate some wet food yesterday but not as much as normal which I expected. I will have to see how much wet food they eat this morning when I get up to feed them. They are both acting normal and running around so I am hoping the diarrhea is just a remnant from the anesthesia and is nothing to be concerned with.

I do need to swing by the vet office today to drop off the paperwork from the spay/neuter and vaccinations so their files are up to date. If I notice any more diarrhea today, I will ask the vet later when I am there.

frequentflier

happy to be living
The owner of the Calvert Well Pet Clinic is a friend of mine. I asked her last night how many spay & neuters on cats and dogs they have done since they opened. She said about 50,000. That's a lot of animals that won't be reproducing both as pets and TNR.
When she bought the property 10+ years ago, the county held her up from opening with one thing after another for about two years. It was frustrating to say the least! The first year, I volunteered to hand mow and weed eat the acre of property.
Oh, and she said if anyone doesn't like the looks of the property, they are more than welcome come pull weeds and help take care of the place :lol:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
The owner of the Calvert Well Pet Clinic is a friend of mine. I asked her last night how many spay & neuters on cats and dogs they have done since they opened. She said about 50,000. That's a lot of animals that won't be reproducing both as pets and TNR.
When she bought the property 10+ years ago, the county held her up from opening with one thing after another for about two years. It was frustrating to say the least! The first year, I volunteered to hand mow and weed eat the acre of property.
Oh, and she said if anyone doesn't like the looks of the property, they are more than welcome come pull weeds and help take care of the place :lol:
Her response should have been the same as mine. I could care less what he thought.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
@frequentflier Did you at least tell your friend that it was a kid that said that or did you make it seem like it was me? If it was the latter, guess I can't show up there next year for the vaccine boosters. :ohwell:

frequentflier

happy to be living
@frequentflier Did you at least tell your friend that it was a kid that said that or did you make it seem like it was me? If it was the latter, guess I can't show up there next year for the vaccine boosters. :ohwell:

Regardless of who said it, I just wonder why you found it necessary to mention it at all. They provide an outstanding service at low cost and I, personally, would have loved to read about your happiness instead of negativity.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Regardless of who said it, I just wonder why you found it necessary to mention it at all. They provide an outstanding service at low cost and I, personally, would have loved to read about your happiness instead of negativity.
I didn't think it was a big deal. Guess it was. Sorry.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I did post about my happiness with the place. You focused on the negative.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I didn't think it was a big deal. Guess it was. Sorry.
As a small business owner and having been a part of the opening and having run a fundraiser for many years for PAWS, I take your comments personally. That and the things you have said about my store.

And she could give two $hits about what was said about the outside.

I am done debating this. Good luck with your cats.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
As a small business owner and having been a part of the opening and having run a fundraiser for many years for PAWS, I take your comments personally. That and the things you have said about my store.

And she could give two $hits about what was said about the outside.

I am done debating this. Good luck with your cats.
What did I say about your store? I have only been there twice.