Suspicious package / police activity near Breton Bay?

I was wondering if the situation near the Leonardtown McDonald's has been cleared up? When I drove by this morning, there were police cars blocking off the entrance to the Leonardtown shopping center (Food Lion/McKays area). Later I heard they actually blocked off the Compton/Newtowne Neck Road area. Someone said that there was a suspicious package and a then a bomb threat phone call at that McDonalds. Anyone know if it's over?

inkah

Just talked with someone still stuck at the shopping center.

I wonder, what is the rationale of forcing people to STAY in an area they believe could blow up???

C

czygvtwkr

McDonalds, really? Thats sort of like stealing from the dump.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant

From that:
Investigation revealed an unattended bag was left in the fast food restaurant.

Numerous attempts were made by the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office to locate the owner with negative results.
-----

So does that mean somebody left their purse and everybody's :jameo:?

I know my comments sounds insensitive, but "numerous attempts to locate owner" sounds more like it was something with identification in it, rather than a ticking box wrapped with a shoestring.

:shrug:

inkah

McDonalds, really? Thats sort of like stealing from the dump.

Dude. Dumpster diving = lucrative sport. In fact, all those people quarantined at the shopping center should be in the back of those buildings gettting busy right now. No need to waste time sitting frivolously about waiting to be blow to smitherenes. You never know, someone may even stumble across the purse owner. And how helpful would THAT be?!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I know my comments sounds insensitive, but "numerous attempts to locate owner" sounds more like it was something with identification in it, rather than a ticking box wrapped with a shoestring.

Probably SEIU minimum wage protest literature.

sm8

SMCSO posted on Facebook that the reports from some news media outlets of an explosion are false.

"Media reports of a device detonating in Leonardtown center are NOT ACCURATE. NOTHING HAS EXPLODED/DETONATED. Follow SMCSO PIO for correct information. Avoid the area until advised to allow police and fire marshal to do their job." posted 30 minutes ago.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Ok. Now BayNet is reporting that a bomb did detonate and there is another one in another store.

WHY are people being held in the shopping center again?????

http://www.thebaynet.com/news/index.cfm/fa/viewstory/story_ID/37317

"UPDATE
Police in St. Mary's County are saying reports of a device detonating at a location within the Leonardtown Center are not accurate. Authorities, however, remain at the scene and portions of Route 5 remain shut down while an investigation is being conducted."

inkah

SMCSO posted on Facebook that the reports from some news media outlets of an explosion are false.

"Media reports of a device detonating in Leonardtown center are NOT ACCURATE. NOTHING HAS EXPLODED/DETONATED. Follow SMCSO PIO for correct information. Avoid the area until advised to allow police and fire marshal to do their job." posted 30 minutes ago.

Ok - thanks for that! Yeesh, BayNet.

SMCSO?

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Ok. Now BayNet is reporting that a bomb did detonate and there is another one in another store.

WHY are people being held in the shopping center again?????

http://www.thebaynet.com/news/index.cfm/fa/viewstory/story_ID/37317

It's safer for people to be in a secure area, identified by the police, than running around like chickens through the parking lot. Where are they going to go? To sit in their cars, hang out in the parking lot with no shelter if there truly is a bomb, or remain in a brick building a reasonable distance from the bomb?

There are procedures for a reason. Both for the police, fire, rescue personnel safety, and for the individual citizen's safety. You follow the procedures, then you have a reasonable chance of staying secure and safe. Or you get all :jameo: and get in the way and risk harm.

If I was at that location, I personally would exercise some patience, follow the rules, stay out of the cops way and take that time to offer up a few prayers.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Relatively sure they are kept in the shopping center in case one of them is the perp that left the bomb. Avoid that area today. Once the scare is over the police will still keep it shut down and interrogate everyone in the area, to ensure the wannabe bomber is not one of them. It will take quite awhile.

inkah

It's safer for people to be in a secure area, identified by the police, than running around like chickens through the parking lot. Where are they going to go? To sit in their cars, hang out in the parking lot with no shelter if there truly is a bomb, or remain in a brick building a reasonable distance from the bomb?

There are procedures for a reason. Both for the police, fire, rescue personnel safety, and for the individual citizen's safety. You follow the procedures, then you have a reasonable chance of staying secure and safe. Or you get all :jameo: and get in the way and risk harm.

If I was at that location, I personally would exercise some patience, follow the rules, stay out of the cops way and take that time to offer up a few prayers.

Your post seems to make sense. Unless there really is another bomb in the area. I don't know how evacuations work, but my assumption would be that the police are trained to conduct such a thing in a manner that gets folks QUICKLY and SAFELY away from a potentially dangerous situation.

The person I know is not panicking, is doing what they are told, etc and so on. But is still there 3 hours later.

Are you telling me that the police (or whomever) were on scene quickly, did a very thorough sweep of McKays and then sent the entire human population of both shopping centers to wait it out safe under cover of that secure building? And that this approach is much better than having folks leave the area in an orderly manner. Or are you just hoping/believing that is the case?

MarieB

From that:
Investigation revealed an unattended bag was left in the fast food restaurant.

Numerous attempts were made by the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office to locate the owner with negative results.
-----

So does that mean somebody left their purse and everybody's :jameo:?

Someone mentioned a threat being called in but unless I missed it I haven't seen that in any of the media coverage

inkah

Relatively sure they are kept in the shopping center in case one of them is the perp that left the bomb.

This is more in line with what I had assumed. Problem is, one (or a few) could be the bomb owner. Many are innocently being kept in a potentially dangerous situation.

I have been unable to determine if people are being allowed to walk to safety.

OldHillcrestGuy

Once its over Im sure people will be free to leave. The SMCSO dont have the people to interrogate all the folks in the shopping center.

If the scare is at Mickey D's, why cant people leave by the other exit and then go north.