SWAT Officers Who Rushed to Scene of Parkland Shooting Without Permission Have Been Disciplined

BOP

I'm surprised the title block took that whole thing.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortn...edium=story&utm_campaign=BreakingNewsCarousel

Two Miramar Police Department SWAT team members, Det. Jeffery Gilbert and Det. Carl Schlosser, were off duty and training at Coral Springs when they learned of the shooting at nearby Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School last month, where 17 people were killed.

Instead of treating the two men as heroes, the SWAT's unit commander informed the two men that they had been temporarily suspended from their duties. They were unwanted, you see.

So much for Israel's much-touted training to engage the shooter in a situation like that.

Hijinx

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortn...edium=story&utm_campaign=BreakingNewsCarousel

Two Miramar Police Department SWAT team members, Det. Jeffery Gilbert and Det. Carl Schlosser, were off duty and training at Coral Springs when they learned of the shooting at nearby Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School last month, where 17 people were killed.

Instead of treating the two men as heroes, the SWAT's unit commander informed the two men that they had been temporarily suspended from their duties. They were unwanted, you see.

So much for Israel's much-touted training to engage the shooter in a situation like that.

They weren't suspended from their jobs only from the SWAT team.
The reason is not altogether bad.
A team has to operate as a team, not two guys running in by themselves.

I don't like that the school officer or the first 4 on the scene stayed outside, but a Swat team must act as ordered not show up as individuals.

glhs837

Power with Control

Here's the bit I dont get.......

"You don’t want to let those guys loose into something that’s chaotic where they might take inappropriate action," he noted. "It is prudent to have them stand down unless there is a plan.”

Maybe I'm missing something on the whole active shooter protocol? "Go the eff in and ENGAGE!" If the guys standing around wont do it, let someone who will. Maybe this is one of the reasons we are not getting the recordings that are out there?

black dog

Free America
I don't like that the school officer or the first 4 on the scene stayed outside, but a Swat team must act as ordered not show up as individuals.

I posted links last night in The Fact Check thread..
It's looking more and more like those officers did what they were told to do.

black dog

Free America

Maybe I'm missing something on the whole active shooter protocol? "Go the eff in and ENGAGE!" If the guys standing around wont do it, let someone who will. Maybe this is one of the reasons we are not getting the recordings that are out there?

I'll say it again, not every Dept trains to that... It's easy to armchair, it's a different story when it's showtime.. Much less when you are to told to stage outside and setup a perimeter..

Chris0nllyn

If the guys had no SWAT gear on, and didn't work with the team that had jurisdiction (Broward SWAT), you can see a chance of friendly fire, yes?

glhs837

Power with Control
I'll say it again, not every Dept trains to that... It's easy to armchair, it's a different story when it's showtime.. Much less when you are to told to stage outside and setup a perimeter..

Not saying I know what I would do, nobody does until it's time, but I was under the impression that engaging an active shooter was pretty much universally accepted. According to this, the BSO written policy does not require, but doesn't prohibit either. Specifically says the person on scene should use thier judgement and they don NOT have to waith for permission.

If a deputy has “Real Time Intelligence” — defined as the “personal observation of people fleeing, gunfire etc. [that] provides awareness of an on-going Active Shooter situation” — then the deputy “may enter the area and/or structure to preserve life.” Note that language: the deputy “may enter” — not “shall enter” — to engage the active shooter.

and the set up a perimiter command is a factor. Maybe I should have said wont/cant.

https://www.redstate.com/sarah-rump...protocol-not-require-engaging-active-shooter/

If the guys had no SWAT gear on, and didn't work with the team that had jurisdiction (Broward SWAT), you can see a chance of friendly fire, yes?

I sure can see it, but we dont know the details or the timeline. Did they arrive before Broward SWAT? Did they go in? It sounds like they went in, and after the fact, they are getting wacked for it for kmaking BSO look bad. I get it, but that doesnt mean I have to agree with it.

Chris0nllyn

I sure can see it, but we dont know the details or the timeline. Did they arrive before Broward SWAT? Did they go in? It sounds like they went in, and after the fact, they are getting wacked for it for kmaking BSO look bad. I get it, but that doesnt mean I have to agree with it.

It's my understanding based on the Miami Herald article that these officers left their training without telling their commander (their commander had no idea where they were). Apparently Broward SWAT was already mobilized.

The memo told Gilbert and Schlosser that they acted “without the knowledge or authorization from your chain of command” and created an “officer safety situation due to dispatch not knowing your location or activity.”

It's certainly commendable they were willing to jump into action though. I think they'll get their jobs back.

Midnightrider

isreal is not the sherrif of the Miramar PD

you really cherry pick to fit your narrative, but the SOP says the SRO was trained to go in if he heard shots. Not to mention the order to form a perimeter was apparently given after the shoting had stopped.
It's my understanding based on the Miami Herald article that these officers left their training without telling their commander (their commander had no idea where they were). Apparently Broward SWAT was already mobilized.

It's certainly commendable they were willing to jump into action though. I think they'll get their jobs back.

Yep, cops need to follow their chain of command. otherwise the system breaks down