SWAT shoots 8th grader in Florida..

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Baby Vrail!

Sarah Tivy, 12, said some students were frightened, but she appeared calm.

And why was young Ms. Tivy calm?

"I just figured that if someone is going to bring a gun to school, then they need to be taken out of school," she said.

:knockmeoverwithafeather:

No trauma. No need for grief counseling. No "why, Lord, why?".

Just plain, good, old fashioned common effing sense.

I swear to God, there is hope for tomorrow.

Larry Gude said:
And why was young Ms. Tivy calm?

:knockmeoverwithafeather:

No trauma. No need for grief counseling. No "why, Lord, why?".

Just plain, good, old fashioned common effing sense.

I swear to God, there is hope for tomorrow.

AMEN.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
If she's related to and raised by any of the Navy folks named Tivy that I've known, she's probably got a lot more backbone and commonsense than your average modern kid.

As for the 15 y.o. knucklehead, I hope he lives through this and that it's a wake-up call he can't ignore or weasel out of.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Not so well written story...

he raised the firearm and lethal force was used by the sheriff's office

and...

The boy was taken to the hospital. His condition was unknown

I read 'lethal force' and presumed that being taken to the hospital was a formality.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Larry Gude said:
and...

I read 'lethal force' and presumed that being taken to the hospital was a formality.
I don't know how the cops down there meant to use the term "lethal force," but when my name was Petty Officer, if I was told that "the use of Deady Force is authorized," that meant I could shoot the subject (intruder, etc). Deadly force meant we could shoot, but shooting to kill wasn't necessarily a requirement. Deadly Force (use of a firearm) was very different from the use of a nightstick; the nightstick could be used if necessary without a specific authorization to do so.

Last edited:
B

Bruzilla

Well.. a lot of pinhead parents, mostly inner-city African American parents, forced Florida police agencies to stop issuing tasers to their officers in schools, so if a student brings a gun to school the only weapons that the police have to counter them are a baton and a gun. Chalk it up to you get what you ask for.

Even worse in my opinion is that the kid used what's called a BB-gun that looks like a real gun. It might be a BB gun or an airsoft pellet gun, but in either case I'm sure there are soon to be calls for bans against these guns as a result of this shooting. Once again we'll all have to suffer with more laws because some ####### kid with problems and who could care less about laws got himself shot.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Railroad said:
I don't know how the cops down there meant to use the term "lethal force," but when my name was Petty Officer, if I was told that "the use of Deady Force is authorized," that meant I could shoot the subject (intruder, etc). Deadly force meant we could shoot, but shooting to kill wasn't necessarily a requirement. Deadly Force (use of a firearm) was very different from the use of a nightstick; the nightstick could be used if necessary without a specific authorization to do so.

Same thing I learned. If you use your firearm, it is deadly force. You never "shoot to wound". If there is any doubt, you do not shoot. As soon as you are authorized, and you have a good shot, you shoot to kill. If the subject survives after you disarm him, that's fine. Anyone who authorizes a shot to be fired has to know that they have authorized deadly force.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
BS Gal said:
I'm kiinda pissed nobody got my joke.

I got it..... the kid is criminally stoopid.

Now watch the fambly sue the everlivingshiat out of the state, the city, the school system, the kid who snitched, the manufacturer of the pellet gun and then blame it all on the Bush brothers.

CMC122

Go Braves!
Qurious said:
it was a pellet gun people.

You still feel the cops did the right thing? :eyebrow:
Yes, it looked like a handgun. Were they supposed to wait and get shot themselves first to see what kind of ammo it actually held.

tirdun

staring into the abyss
Qurious said:
it was a pellet gun people.
You still feel the cops did the right thing? :eyebrow:

Yes.

He had what the police believed to be a lethal weapon in a school. He pointed it at a cop. They shot him. I think that pretty much falls squarely within the "right thing" category.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I feel that the officer who fired the shot needs to spend more time at the range. The perp (not victim) should have been dead BEFORE he even hit the ground.
Breathe
Release
Aim
Stop
Squeeze
Fire