Sweet Tea to be banned in South Carolina

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
Sweet Tea, a main staple in the South has enraged the NAACP and Southern Baptists as "the Devil's Drink" according to some African American leadership consortiums. Legislators in Georgia and the Carolinas have asked Nestle and Lipton to drop the surname, "Sweet Tea" from its product line as it will soften tension by those affected as well as reduce the caloric intake of minorities, children and women.

Sound silly???

Well, the Confederate flag matter is just as stupid.

Sweet tea is symbolic of those fighting to secede from the union in a war that killed over 600,000 Americans?

dgates80

Land of the lost
I like sweet tea sometimes. I usually get it half-n-half, southern greasy spoon diners really over do the sugar in their sweet tea.

DipStick

I live in North Carolina. My Facebook feed has been unbearable today with all my NC, SC and Virginia friends commenting about this. And all but one person who supports that flag either believes the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery (seriously?) or I know the person to be racist.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
This would not bother me - as I do not drink sweet tea. Only unsweet tea for me. :coffee:

Midnightrider

So if the Civil War was about slavery why did Lincoln only free the slaves in the states (and parishes in Louisiana) that were in rebellion. Prior to that pronouncement, President Lincoln's sole goal was preservation of the union at the beginning of the war. He freed the slaves in the areas of rebellion to further unbalance his opponents, but that did not happen until January 1, 1863. So he freed slaves in a country that wasn't his at the time. The Union won and the 13th amendment was passed which cleaned up the legal morass created by politicians.

As has been stated several times, the EP and any other actions taken by the president against the south, were part of his war powers. He is specifically limited from using those powers on the USA.

Don't we have a confederate war memorial down by point lookout?

Yep, its essentially a museum piece. Nobody is claiming recognizing history is wrong. Even so I don't think they fly the rebel flag there.

Pushrod

Patriot
I don't think you can compare the Confederate flag to sweet tea.

The Confederacy lost, so why are we flying their flag anywhere in the US? The people saying SC should be allowed to fly the Confederate flag are the same ones who'd be losing their chit if the Mexican flag was flying over the capitol building in Austin, TX.

To me it's not about racism or slavery or any of that - it's about flying the flag of an army/nation who fought and killed Americans, and lost. The ONLY nation's flag that should be flying in US government buildings is Old Glory.

It's being flown over a confederate war memorial, not over the capital or some other position of prominence... over a confederate war memorial honoring those who died. That seems an appropriate place for it to be flying.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That seems an appropriate place for it to be flying.

There is no appropriate place for an enemy flag to be flying in the US. Displayed, sure. It's history. Flying, no.

I'd be curious what the people of SC would say if this were put to a vote.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And can we please stop with the "the Civil War wasn't about slavery" bull####? Of course it was about slavery. Duh.

"Oh, no! It was about State's rights!!"

Um, yeah, state's rights to......own slaves. Dummy.

:dork:

PsyOps

Pixelated
And can we please stop with the "the Civil War wasn't about slavery" bull####? Of course it was about slavery. Duh.

That’s what gets me about this discussion, the primary reason the south wanted to secede was to keep slavery alive. It was economically advantageous to have slaves tending their farms for free. I see it more about economics.

I’ve always wondered about the validity of the ‘states rights’ argument. If neighboring states are committing what’s considered to be ‘illegal acts’ and desire to secede in order to continue committing those illegal acts, is this a valid reason to secede? Does the rest of the country turn a blind eye to evil in recognition of ‘states rights’?

DipStick

That’s what gets me about this discussion, the primary reason the south wanted to secede was to keep slavery alive. It was economically advantageous to have slaves tending their farms for free. I see it more about economics.

"Economics" is an excuse. Slavery wasn't just about "economic advantages", it was the notion that Africans are somehow inferior and are not human, should not be treated as such and their natural role is to serve whites.

bilbur

I’ve always wondered about the validity of the ‘states rights’ argument. If neighboring states are committing what’s considered to be ‘illegal acts’ and desire to secede in order to continue committing those illegal acts, is this a valid reason to secede? Does the rest of the country turn a blind eye to evil in recognition of ‘states rights’?

While slavery was a big portion of it, it wasn't the only issue. The south didn't want the federal government to have absolute power and they wanted the ability to govern themselves, taxes also played a big role especially for the poor southerners who didn't own slaves. It is just like the current debates on pot and gay marriage, if enough people felt strongly enough that the federal government is overstepping its authority by arresting people in a state where pot is legal or determining gay marriage is legal in a state that doesn't want it they would fight it. The only difference is today we can fight things in courts, with media, and on social networking. Back then, the courts and government were corrupt and the papers only printed what they were told. So calling them traitors is a little harsh, they just believed the federal government should not have that much power over states. As for the people that fought for the south, most were not slave owners. The ones in the fields on the front lines were poor farmers like my ancestors who never owned slaves. Also don't forget that much of the money that made the US as strong as it is today came from the southern farms and exports. And many were forced to fight like the people drafted for Vietnam. I had family on both sides of the conflict and a lot of good and bad came out of the Civil War. Slavery ending was a big one on the good side but on the bad side it sometimes feels that federal government has too much power over some issues. People have different majority beliefs in different states on issues like drugs, gay marriage, abortion, stem cell research etc.. and states have to abide by the federal government's ruling on these issues or they face possible federal prosecution.

DipStick

They are evidently taught otherwise in the Carolinas. Not a single person I've talked to thinks slavery the issue or even an issue. Hell, in Western Virginia, they don't even realize slavery existed. In the Carolinas, they're taught that slaves were even treated well. Even Charles County, when I was a freshman in high school, was teaching kids that the Civil War was not about slavery.

One thing we all have to keep in mind when discussing this, the education system in the north is far superior than in the south. Once we realize that, we can figure out that southerners may not be racist (thought a lot are), they're likely just ignorant.

BernieP

Resident PIA
They are evidently taught otherwise in the Carolinas. Not a single person I've talked to thinks slavery the issue or even an issue. Hell, in Western Virginia, they don't even realize slavery existed. In the Carolinas, they're taught that slaves were even treated well. Even Charles County, when I was a freshman in high school, was teaching kids that the Civil War was not about slavery.

One thing we all have to keep in mind when discussing this, the education system in the north is far superior than in the south. Once we realize that, we can figure out that southerners may not be racist (thought a lot are), they're likely just ignorant.

In some respects it's the glass is half full or half empty. The issue of slavery went back before the constitution was framed, it was danced around in the declaration of independence.
The northern states did not really have a need for African slaves, they had indentured servants but they weren't managing large plantations were cheap labor was required.
There are a lot of myths about slavery, as many as there are about the civil war.

Make no mistake, slavery was the most important issue, but it wasn't the only one. The union was dominated by the industrial north, the north wanted cheap raw material to process into goods and the south provided that.
To keep it cheap the north used their political clout to control import and export duties. A lot of northerners didn't give two chits about slavery, when pressed they would probably tell you it was a bad thing but... But they weren't willing to go to war over slavery. As industrialization took over the treatment of slaves took on that of machinery, you worked it until it was broke and then replaced it. neither side was ultraistic. The number of people in the north that actually wanted to free the slaves and end the institution was a minority. There were some that did not want to see it end because they profited from it (indirectly) and still others who either didn't know or didn't care.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
In the Carolinas, they're taught that slaves were even treated well.

Many slaves were treated very well. The entertainment industry likes to depict all slave owners as sadistic monsters who bought humans in order to beat, rape, and kill them, but that isn't true. Sure, there were some sadistic slave owners, but slaves were expensive and common sense would tell you that you don't pay that kind of money for even a mule or a horse, and then beat and kill it. Many slaves were educated, even though it was against the law - that is a matter of historical fact and well documented.

Regardless, they were still slaves no matter how well they were treated. So there's that.