Swine Flu

With all the hoopla over the swine flu.. (and an office full of coughing,sneezing & feeling like crap co-workers) I started wondering just what the symptoms are:

So I googled..

If you or a member of your family has a fever or high temperature (over 38°C/100.4°F) and two or more of the following symptoms, you may have swine flu:

* unusual tiredness,
* headache,
* runny nose,
* sore throat,
* shortness of breath or cough,
* loss of appetite,
* aching muscles,
* diarrhoea or vomiting.

Checking symptoms

an increase in temperature is one of the main symptoms.

seems these would apply to a lot of illnesses..

so how would you ever know if you had the swine flu? Cuz I'm thinking I would just self medicate- tylenol, rest etc

Gummie

I understand that the CDC issued an e-mail against eating canned pork in regards to the swine flu, but then they reversed their position. It turned out that it was only

READY???

SPAM

With all the hoopla over the swine flu..

so how would you ever know if you had the swine flu? Cuz I'm thinking I would just self medicate- tylenol, rest etc

The "hoopla" is because this is a new virus strain that NOBODY has been exposed to before so NOBODY has immunity, thus making it a strain of virus that will travel fast as there is no "firewall" in the population to slow it's travel.

The other side to the "hoopla" is that when this virus kills... it isn't killing off the very young and old like other viruses tend to do but rather the typically healthy mid-youth range of a given population. It'll drop a 14 year old 6 feet under before it would drop his/her granny.... go figure.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
With all the hoopla over the swine flu.. (and an office full of coughing,sneezing & feeling like crap co-workers) I started wondering just what the symptoms are:

So I googled..

If you or a member of your family has a fever or high temperature (over 38°C/100.4°F) and two or more of the following symptoms, you may have swine flu:

* unusual tiredness,
* headache,
* runny nose,
* sore throat,
* shortness of breath or cough,
* loss of appetite,
* aching muscles,
* diarrhoea or vomiting.

Checking symptoms

an increase in temperature is one of the main symptoms.

seems these would apply to a lot of illnesses..

I agree. How would you know? I guess you're supposed to go to the ER (like they have nothing better to do) and get tested? Can a regular Dr. do it? Tons of people I know have been sick lately.

The "hoopla" is because this is a new virus strain that NOBODY has been exposed to before so NOBODY has immunity, thus making it a strain of virus that will travel fast as there is no "firewall" in the population to slow it's travel.

The other side to the "hoopla" is that when this virus kills... it isn't killing off the very young and old like other viruses tend to do but rather the typically healthy mid-youth range of a given population. It'll drop a 14 year old 6 feet under before it would drop his/her granny.... go figure.

I guess hoopla was a bad choice of words.. I didn't mean that I thought the media was over doing it, Its scary cuz how would you know you had it?

I know labs or your Dr. can test for it but I know for myself if I had 2 or more of those symptoms I wouldn't think I needed to see the Dr. and the symptoms are pretty generic.

luvscats

I guess hoopla was a bad choice of words.. I didn't mean that I thought the media was over doing it, Its scary cuz how would you know you had it? I know labs or your Dr. can test for it but I know for myself if I had 2 or more of those symptoms I wouldn't think I needed to see the Dr. and the symptoms are pretty generic.

I know what you mean. If I had a couple of these symptoms I'd just use OTC stuff. Maybe I'd go to the doc if I had a high temp.

I wonder why it is that this virus has such an impact on the young adult population versus the very young/elderly.

What really got me thinking about this is that Monday 2 or 3 people in my office had at least 4 of these symptoms.... and what they say is a summer cold has passed around the building like wildfire...

And no one has felt sick enough to stay home!!! {runs to look for a surgical mask to wear to work.....}

They bought into the hoopla too...:frown:

Attachments

• swine_flu_paranoia.jpg
    swine_flu_paranoia.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 113

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
7 yr old daughter woke up this morning with a fever of about 102. I have been giving her Motrin every 5 hrs, thats when the fever seems to go back up. Once it was 103 right after her nap. She's been stuffy and coughing some. Question is, with all the swine flu talk do I go ahead and call the Dr. in the morning? Go to the E.R.? Opinions? Thanks.

Giddy up!

7 yr old daughter woke up this morning with a fever of about 102. I have been giving her Motrin every 5 hrs, thats when the fever seems to go back up. Once it was 103 right after her nap. She's been stuffy and coughing some. Question is, with all the swine flu talk do I go ahead and call the Dr. in the morning? Go to the E.R.? Opinions? Thanks.

My 8 yr old woke up this morning also, sore throat, head ache and fever of 102,I have alternated between tylenol and motrin...she won't seem to keep a normal temp. on her own... now hub is sick with it and has a fever of 102 and sore throat, and son complaining of sore throat and achy joints just about a half hour ago...my whole house is getting what ever this flu is. I am still good but I have been popping zinc and c all day.

I am not sure what to do either....tried to call doctors and no one has returned my call all day! Guess I will just take her to the ER in the morning if things don't look better.

foodcritic

My 8 yr old woke up this morning also, sore throat, head ache and fever of 102,I have alternated between tylenol and motrin...she won't seem to keep a normal temp. on her own... now hub is sick with it and has a fever of 102 and sore throat, and son complaining of sore throat and achy joints just about a half hour ago...my whole house is getting what ever this flu is. I am still good but I have been popping zinc and c all day.

I am not sure what to do either....tried to call doctors and no one has returned my call all day! Guess I will just take her to the ER in the morning if things don't look better.

From what I read most of the children who have died from the swine flu have had some underlining conditions. I have also read that getting enough vitamin D will help you fight the flu and stop you from getting it at all. I'm looking into supplements for my kids as I already take a supplement vitamin D