Syrophoenician Woman’s Faith

seekeroftruth

Mark 7:24 Jesus left that place and went to the vicinity of Tyre. He entered a house and did not want anyone to know it; yet he could not keep his presence secret. 25 In fact, as soon as she heard about him, a woman whose little daughter was possessed by an impure spirit came and fell at his feet. 26 The woman was a Greek, born in Syrian Phoenicia. She begged Jesus to drive the demon out of her daughter.
27 “First let the children eat all they want,” he told her, “for it is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to the dogs.
28 “Lord,” she replied, “even the dogs under the table eat the children’s crumbs.
29 Then he told her, “For such a reply, you may go; the demon has left your daughter.”
30 She went home and found her child lying on the bed, and the demon gone.
Verse 24 always alluded me. He was so famous; He couldn't get any time for Himself. I didn't realize He was trying to hide for a minute.

Everyone wanted a healing, so Jesus tried to find a place where He could catch His breath, alone. He had to recharge His batteries. That didn't work! There was a Greek woman in the house. As soon as she figured out who He was, she fell at His feet and begged for the health of her daughter.

Healing this woman's daughter would "out" Him. He wanted to catch a break. As soon as He healed one person, it would be all over town.... and this was a big ancient town. I can just see Him now, hand on her shoulder, fingers to His lips, saying "ssshhhh.... don't tell everyone who I am".

The deal God made with humans concerning sending His Son for their Salvation, was only with the Jews. Three sons got off the Ark, and they all went their merry way meaning not all humans were part of the deal. This woman was a Greek. She was not Jewish. She was not even Roman [the conquering army in Jerusalem at the time]. She was a Greek and Jesus was only there for the Jewish descendants of Noah, not all the descendants.... just the Jewish ones.

But she was a clever girl. She understood Jesus' position and yet she convinced Him to make an exception for her daughter.

It's as if she said "come on now.... you can make an exception.... right?" And Jesus said, "I guess you're right".... and her daughter was healed.

Or maybe He said "I simply don't feel like arguing with you. You're a clever woman. Alright, go on, your daughter is healed".

I have to admit, when I was a child, I was taught to put the dogs out before each meal. That way they wouldn't be begging and fighting over the stuff that fell on the floor. After all, I'm the oldest of five kids and that's a lot of crumbs. Who wants dogs fighting for crumbs under the kitchen table while we're eating? But they didn't have vacuum cleaners back in the days of Jesus, so letting the dogs eat the crumbs was convenient... right? So, this story, heard in that light, presents some confusion. Why let the dogs in during dinner?

Yesterday, Jesus told the people it was OK to eat pig. After all, nothing we put in our mouths defile us... even pig.

Today, Jesus healed a Greek woman's child. After all, even the dogs are welcome to the crumbs.

We can eat pig and Salvation is for everyone.

Even the Syrophoenician.

:coffee: