Tablet shoppers who don't want an iPad

I figured I'd bring this thread back from the grave...
New Nook Specs Leak: Faster, Lighter, Dual-Core Media Monster
Looking forward to the side-by-side comparisons next week. Looks like the Nook Tablet will have slightly better specs than the Kindle Fire (for $50 more), but if it is a straight Android OS (maybe minor tweaks) with access to the Android Market, it might have an edge over the Fire. I think the Nook Color pretty much loses against the Fire.

The Kindle Fire is going to be incredibly successful, much more so than the newest Nook. Amazon will be able to offer the content pipeline integration that is so important in this kind of device - it's about the ease of the experience. People are comfortable buying different kinds of content (and other stuff) from Amazon, while many think of Barnes and Noble as just books.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 5 million or more Kindle Fire's ship in the first quarter of availability. It's going to define and dominate the low end of the tablet market over the next year just as the iPad is going to continue to define and dominate the high end. For the forseeable future (3 or 4 quarters), the tablet market will be the Kindle Fire, the iPad, a few also-rans (Samsung, maybe ASUS, maybe HTC, maybe Acer, (though they themselves admit that they don't see much growth in their own tablet sales), maybe Nook), and then a bunch of almost-irrelevants.

Adobe killed flash on mobile overnight.

Its being ill-suited for mobile devices (not to mention the more general problems with it), and then the marketplace, is what killed mobile flash (i.e. for browser use). All Adobe did was finally decide to let it die a peaceful death rather then continue futilely fighting fate.

Of course, Steve Jobs' (correct) insistence that Flash wasn't the right answer for mobile, and his conviction in doing what he knew was right even in the face of doubters, helped hasten mobile Flash's death. It motivated a lot of content providers to move more quickly to using HTML5.

ylexot

Super Genius
The Kindle Fire is going to be incredibly successful, much more so than the newest Nook. Amazon will be able to offer the content pipeline integration that is so important in this kind of device - it's about the ease of the experience. People are comfortable buying different kinds of content (and other stuff) from Amazon, while many think of Barnes and Noble as just books.

Eh...it's a pretty limited device unless you get out of that "ease of experience" bubble. It's basically an Amazon content delivery system. You can get all that and much more with a real tablet for not much more money.

It's only selling well because of the Amazon Kindle name. The blogs are already lukewarm on it. It can't run all of the Android apps because Amazon cut out some parts of the OS and it's limited to the Amazon app store (which is limiting in itself).

Eh...it's a pretty limited device unless you get out of that "ease of experience" bubble. It's basically an Amazon content delivery system. You can get all that and much more with a real tablet for not much more money.

It's only selling well because of the Amazon Kindle name. The blogs are already lukewarm on it. It can't run all of the Android apps because Amazon cut out some parts of the OS and it's limited to the Amazon app store (which is limiting in itself).

Oh, I'm not suggesting that the device itself is something special. I haven't even held one in my hands yet, let alone had a chance to play with one. My point is that Amazon is able to deliver on what matters in this kind of low cost tablet - an easy-to-use, comprehensive content delivery / storage experience from a trusted content (and other things) seller.

Amazon still sees itself as a retailer rather than a manufacturer. It sells you stuff (i.e. not tech gadgets): books, music, movies, magazines, flat screen tvs, office chairs. The Kindle Fire is an inexpensive platform through which it can easily and effectively sell you stuff, and through which its customers can enjoy and experience much of that stuff. It is probably going to be a great success and help solidify Amazon's position as a dominate retailer in a wide range of product markets.

You're right that it's largely an Amazon content delivery system. That's what a lot of people will be buying it to be - the gateway to a convenient one stop shopping experience with a seller they trust and which can deliver to them all kinds of stuff / content that they want, with some other not-so-inconsequential capabilities built in.

ylexot

Super Genius
whats missing that is on other tablets?

Uhhhh...the Android Market for starters. Sure, it has access to the Amazon app market, but that's limited in its offerings. It's also missing some API's from the OS, so there are a bunch of apps that don't work or are extra buggy. It's missing the standard Android control buttons so if you get something loaded, you can't getting to the app's menu. It's missing cameras, Bluetooth (it might have this, but just have it disabled...same as the Nook Color), and a microphone, so you can forget about Skype/GVoice/etc. It's missing GPS, so you can forget any kind of navigation with it. It doesn't have a card slot, so you're limited on how many movies/songs you have access to when not connected to wifi.

Your only hope for doing stuff other than what Amazon has limited you to is if some hackers root it. We'll see if they can make it happen. Even then, the 512 MB of RAM will make it slow to run ROMs and the lack of some of the hardware will reduce its functionality.

somdfunguy

not impressed
Other than the camera and mic I don't see the majority of those looking for an iPad alternative even knowing that features are missing. Camera and mic are nice, but in all reality they are not used all that much on tablets (or phones for that matter.) GPS is not needed on a wifi tablet. The apps in the Amazon sandbox are good enough for most.

On paper specs don't matter anymore. People don't buy a toaster to do anything but toast. The majority doesn't want to hack their tablet. They want it to work and not break. The Kindle has the ecosystem to deliver and it will be the number 2 tablet.

Baz

This. ------------------>
Other than the camera and mic I don't see the majority of those looking for an iPad alternative even knowing that features are missing. Camera and mic are nice, but in all reality they are not used all that much on tablets (or phones for that matter.) GPS is not needed on a wifi tablet. The apps in the Amazon sandbox are good enough for most.

On paper specs don't matter anymore. People don't buy a toaster to do anything but toast. The majority doesn't want to hack their tablet. They want it to work and not break. The Kindle has the ecosystem to deliver and it will be the number 2 tablet.

If you don't need a full featured tablet and prefer a smaller screen, then the new Kindle may be perfect for you. I'd still want one of the e-ink Kindles for reading books, though.

somdfunguy

not impressed
If you don't need a full featured tablet and prefer a smaller screen, then the new Kindle may be perfect for you. I'd still want one of the e-ink Kindles for reading books, though.

agreed, I will stick with my iPad, TouchPad, and e-ink Kindle.

ginwoman

What do I need? I want to be able to read books, down load books, exchange books, check email and get on internet. Basic, easy stuff. But I am confused by the different products available. I would like to keep it under $200. Please help if you can. (I need to put a bug in Santa's ear).

Baz

This. ------------------>
What do I need? I want to be able to read books, down load books, exchange books, check email and get on internet. Basic, easy stuff. But I am confused by the different products available. I would like to keep it under $200. Please help if you can. (I need to put a bug in Santa's ear).

Under $200 means Kindle Fire

:yeahthat:

Sounds like you want the Kindle Fire. I still think if you read a good amount of books, you may want to eventually get a Kindle e-ink reader too, as it's way easier on the eyes. But you'll be able to decide on that after reading from the Fire. You can get a new e-ink model for under $100, I think.

You really can't go wrong with the Fire's $200 price tag. If you eventually want more from a tablet, you can always upgrade later on.

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
While doing some research i came across a tablet that has surprisingly good reviews. It is called the Le Pan TC 970. I have not found many bad reviews, most of which i did was just incompetent people. It runs android 2.2 and for the price of a kindle fire it seems like a good competitor. Thinking about ordering one just the play with it.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer

If you already have a way to get on the internet, and you really want it primarily for reading, you are going to want a regular kindle, rather than a kindle fire. The backlit screen is like reading a book on the computer..the e ink is the way to go for reading. I have the kindle 3g and can get books in an instant. You can even check out books from the library now..if you want something to get on the internet, then get a tablet. For reading, imo, a regular kindle is it.