Tablet shoppers who don't want an iPad

somdfunguy

not impressed
I just don't get all the enthusiasm over a 7" tablet. At that size, it's not big enough to be an adequate laptop replacement. And with the stripped down feature sets, it's more like a giant clunky smartphone running an outdated version of Android.....that you can't make phone calls on.

Is it simply a matter of price? :confused:

outdated?

ylexot

Super Genius
I just don't get all the enthusiasm over a 7" tablet. At that size, it's not big enough to be an adequate laptop replacement. And with the stripped down feature sets, it's more like a giant clunky smartphone running an outdated version of Android.....that you can't make phone calls on.

Is it simply a matter of price? :confused:

Some people like the 7" form, some like 10", some want something even bigger. And Ice Cream Sandwich is hardly outdated.

Baz

This. ------------------>
Some people like the 7" form, some like 10", some want something even bigger. And Ice Cream Sandwich is hardly outdated.

Ooops, I didn't see your post about the Ice Cream sandwhich ones. I was referring to the 2.x versions. :yay:

It looks as though the Kindle Fire has been, thus far, a huge success in terms of unit sales.

It seems that Kindle Fire sales may have fallen off dramatically after the Christmas quarter - and not just by an amount we'd expect for the post-holiday quarter. IDC suggests that sales dropped from almost 5 million units in the fourth quarter of 2011 to less than a million units in the first quarter of 2012. Amazon, like some other tablet manufacturers, doesn't report unit sales (it's not required to, but I think it should for the sake of investors - that's a pretty important metric when evaluating the future earning potential of the company), so we can't be sure how accurate IDC's numbers are. But they align with other reports that I've read (e.g. with regard to customer satisfaction) and help explain the better than expected earnings that Amazon reported for the first quarter of 2012 (fewer unit sales means greater earnings since they lose money on those device sales).

Anyway, I'm surprised that interest in the Fire has fallen off as quickly as it seems to have. I could point to a number of possible reasons, but the quality of the device itself may be the main one. For $200, I still think it's a nifty device - for a reasonable price it allows you to do a number of basic things that a lot of people want to do, even if the user experience isn't high quality and smooth. And in the context of content purchased from Amazon, it's pretty convenient - the integration is good. But the quality of the device is lacking a bit. I guess we'll see what Amazon does with the next (assumed) update of the device - will it stick with much the same kind of device or try to upgrade it for a better, and fuller, user experience.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It seems that Kindle Fire sales may have fallen off dramatically after the Christmas quarter - and not just by an amount we'd expect for the post-holiday quarter. IDC suggests that sales dropped from almost 5 million units in the fourth quarter of 2011 to less than a million units in the first quarter of 2012. Amazon, like some other tablet manufacturers, doesn't report unit sales (it's not required to, but I think it should for the sake of investors - that's a pretty important metric when evaluating the future earning potential of the company), so we can't be sure how accurate IDC's numbers are. But they align with other reports that I've read (e.g. with regard to customer satisfaction) and help explain the better than expected earnings that Amazon reported for the first quarter of 2012 (fewer unit sales means greater earnings since they lose money on those device sales).

P/L v. bal sheet economy...

:evil:

C

czygvtwkr

I understand the 7 inch form factor, any bigger and you need a "purse" to carry it arround in. Oops im sorry, a European shoulder bag. While tablets are neat, they are really just toys, how much do you need it vs how much do you play games on it? I think tablets will stick around but the new toy factor is wearing off already.